• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Dilemna

Thoreau

imported post

Logansrun wrote:
Anyway. At this point I'm thinking I'll probably start wearing a concealed holster while I am in my own home. I don't want my kids spotting me wearing a weapon around them. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for something that works pretty well for them. Again...this would be strictly while I am inside my own dwelling so I know I have the weapon -on me- and secured, not where the kids might stumble on it when I have it out of the gun safe and where I can puts hands on it.

Honestly I don't think I'm over reacting considering these two punks seem to think its ok to come knocking on my door. I don't plan to interact with them or even open my door when they come around. I'm not looking for any kind of confrontation but I don't want to see warning signs and get caught with my pants down around my ankles should these two decide to try and let themselves inside uninvited.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Nothing wrong with that at all. I keep a few guns scattered about, and one always within arm's reach when I'm at home. I too would carry one holstered if I had to worry about children. I don't know that I would be too worried about the kids seeing it, as I feel that my own kids should see such things, and understand that a gun doesn't mean bad guy, but that's just my personal take on it. I CAN, however, see some reason to keep it hidden if they're of the age where they might be inclined to blab about your gun to all the wrong people.

You're definitely not overreacting. If you are, then I'm up to batsh** insane since I already keep a gun near me and I live in a high end part of town with a violent crime rate that's astonishingly low. There's NOTHING wrong with prepared, and I don't have any kids, but I imagine that that responsibility makes the choice all that much more clear for you.

Edit: read your reasons for the concealment aspect, and couldn't agree more with ya. No need to give the ex any more ammo (no pun intended) than necessary.

uncoolperson

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
uncoolperson wrote:
Have you thought about a fanny pack?

dang, I got beat to it.
+1 on fanny pack.
people actually use those still :? nothing screams I have a gun like a fanny pack.

a fanny pack hanging on a book shelf out of reach wouldn't scream gun to a kid though.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

uncoolperson wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
uncoolperson wrote:
Have you thought about a fanny pack?

dang, I got beat to it.
+1 on fanny pack.
people actually use those still :? nothing screams I have a gun like a fanny pack.

a fanny pack hanging on a book shelf out of reach wouldn't scream gun to a kid though.
Nope it screams DRUGS!!!!!! LOL.....just kidding.

1245A Defender

imported post

there is no such thing as out of reach to a curious kid!!!

your only way to go, is locked up,,, or strapped on!

think of the children..

okboomer

imported post

Logansrun + on the movie :lol:

As for carrying around the kids, you don't state which state you are in ... that would help if you were to include that in your profile as a lot of laws are very state specific ... but you mention Topeka ... if Kansas, I would think that the judge would be more inclined to knock down any issues your soon-to-be-ex would have about the gun and the kids. You don't have to tell the ex it is because of the frick and frack foolishness. You also don't mention if you have a Concealed Carry license, but if you do, carry openly in the residence, and carry concealed everywhere else. Also, 5 is not too young to start exposing the kids to guns and gun safety. You could get the Eddy Eagle video and let them watch it ... when they can repeat it word for word, then you know they are ready for the next step :lol:Start them young, teach them right and tell the ex to 'take a hike' as this is your decision, not hers. As long as the state laws support gun ownership and the exercise of your 2A, then your ex has no leg to stand on when you are operating within the law.

Also, as for the apartment changing management/ownership, unless they notified you in writing of a change in the lease contract, the original contract you signed is in effect. You should notify the management that they are in violation of their contract with you re: the background checks. Then, go talk to your friendly DA if they have a program similar to the Tenant Dispute Program that many large cities have in which the tenant files a complaint with the DA, pays the rent at the DA's office until the landlord remedies the problem. If not, go the small claims route and ask for your rent back as remedy for breach of contract.

Just in case it makes a diff, I am a woman :celebrate

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

okboomer wrote:
Logansrun + on the movie :lol:

As for carrying around the kids, you don't state which state you are in ... that would help if you were to include that in your profile as a lot of laws are very state specific ... but you mention Topeka ... if Kansas, I would think that the judge would be more inclined to knock down any issues your soon-to-be-ex would have about the gun and the kids. You don't have to tell the ex it is because of the frick and frack foolishness. You also don't mention if you have a Concealed Carry license, but if you do, carry openly in the residence, and carry concealed everywhere else. Also, 5 is not too young to start exposing the kids to guns and gun safety. You could get the Eddy Eagle video and let them watch it ... when they can repeat it word for word, then you know they are ready for the next step :lol:Start them young, teach them right and tell the ex to 'take a hike' as this is your decision, not hers. As long as the state laws support gun ownership and the exercise of your 2A, then your ex has no leg to stand on when you are operating within the law.

Also, as for the apartment changing management/ownership, unless they notified you in writing of a change in the lease contract, the original contract you signed is in effect. You should notify the management that they are in violation of their contract with you re: the background checks. Then, go talk to your friendly DA if they have a program similar to the Tenant Dispute Program that many large cities have in which the tenant files a complaint with the DA, pays the rent at the DA's office until the landlord remedies the problem. If not, go the small claims route and ask for your rent back as remedy for breach of contract.

Just in case it makes a diff, I am a woman :celebrate
Logans run..I have that movie..........I always wanted to be a sandman :D

Weapon of a Sandman...

paramedic70002

imported post

My boys are 10 and 3 and I have always carried around them, as does my wife. The whole divorce thing I can't talk about but the kids will adapt easily to Dad having a gun. If F&F were my neighbors you're dang straight I would be armed 100% of the time.