• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kroger Stores: "No Guns" Policy Rolled Out in Ohio

hogeaterf6

Is this in Ohio only? We have 2 Krogers in town, only grocery store also, and I have oc'd and never a problem. Ind here.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Is this in Ohio only? We have 2 Krogers in town, only grocery store also, and I have oc'd and never a problem. Ind here.
Only this one store. There is nothing worse than a Kroger manager getting his panties in a knot over guns. Apparently, he needs wine tastings every day to deal with life.

greatsimon

goshen, fieldertle....

they are starting to post " warning it is illegal to carry a gun in a "liscienced D" establishment" glad they dont understand what that means... but seriously they need to stop attempting to resrict our rights! or ill go to miejer
just emailed waiting for a respounce.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
they are starting to post " warning it is illegal to carry a gun in a "liscienced d" establishment" glad they dont understand what that means... But seriously they need to stop attempting to resrict our rights! Or ill go to miejer
just emailed waiting for a respounce.

c1 01/24/2006 none
c2 01/24/2006 none
d6 01/24/2006 none
kroger limited partnership
dba kroger n344a
6725 dickflynn blvd
goshen twp
goshen ohio 45122

http://www.com.ohio.gov/liqr/PermitsActiveB.aspx

2923.121(e) Any person who is carrying a valid license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun issued to the person under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued to the person by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code and who possesses the firearm in a retail store with D-6 and D-8 permits issued for that store under sections 4303.182 and 4303.184 of the Revised Code or a D-8 permit issued for that store under section 4303.184 of the Revised Code, as long as the person is not consuming liquor or under the influence of alcohol or a drug of abuse.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
so that means im well with in my rights to carry conceal and open correct?

"4301.637(B) Every place in this state for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code shall be issued a printed card by the division that shall read substantially as follows:

“WARNING

If you are carrying a firearm

Under the statutes of Ohio, if you possess a firearm in any room in which liquor is being dispensed in premises for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code, you may be guilty of a felony and are subject to a term of actual incarceration of one or two years.”

No person shall be subject to any criminal prosecution or any proceedings before the division or the liquor control commission for failing to display this card. No permit issued by the division shall be suspended, revoked, or canceled because of the failure of the permit holder to display this card."

Notice it says "being dispensed."

C-1, C-2 and D-6 permits don't allow for consumption on the premises where sold.

So, even though a sign must be issued to a Class D permit holder, there is no penalty that exists for not posting. And only a place requested to post is a place that has a permit that serves on the premises.

So, your opinion as to carrying seems correct. But, if they (Kroger) ask you to leave you got to leave....

Archangel

It would be interesting to see Kroger say that in Georgia, since they are a GeorgiaCarry.org corporate sponsor.

This sounds more like some manager trying to push his/her own agenda. That has happened here till corporate put the smack down on them and set them straight.

Neither of the links posted earlier to other forums are working for me.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
It would be interesting to see Kroger say that in Georgia, since they are a GeorgiaCarry.org corporate sponsor.

This sounds more like some manager trying to push his/her own agenda. That has happened here till corporate put the smack down on them and set them straight.

Neither of the links posted earlier to other forums are working for me.

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/georgiacarryorg-sponsors/

Thanks for the info.

The Kroger Co. (Atlanta division)
2175 Park Lake Drive
Atlanta, GA 30345
770-496-7400
www.kroger.com

The link takes you to the Cincinnati office. How nice.......

greatsimon

ignoring me

i guess im not important because still no responce.... miejers is about to gain a costumer. ive emailed twice now and nothing. we'll see, ill go back there this week and see if the signs are down yet.

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
greatsimon those signs probably won't come down. They are merely a notification of the law issued for posting along with the liqour permit, they do not restrict your ability to carry there.

greatsimon

i figured the way it reads that it was just a sorry attempt to stop us from protecting ourselves, and i dont appreciate it, so ill go some where else when possible.

Last edited:

mudvr1212

Im not familiar with all krogers but the one I frequent in sylvania ohio has a place where you can taste wines. Im assuming the stores that have that would be ones you couldn't carry in in any form? Correct?

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I believe if you have an Ohio CHL or that of a reciprocal state you may carry in stores that have wine tastings during the period of wine tasting, but you may need to look at the permit type they have. Current residents, can you give him any help here?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Im not familiar with all krogers but the one I frequent in sylvania ohio has a place where you can taste wines. Im assuming the stores that have that would be ones you couldn't carry in in any form? Correct?

I don't know about Mich. But, in Ohio if wine tasting is taking place you can't go in that area of the store.

mudvr1212

I don't know about Mich. But, in Ohio if wine tasting is taking place you can't go in that area of the store.

The store is in Ohio so I was just trying to figure out if you could even enter the store since they "serve" alcohol?

The girlfriend lives there so im there regularly and just picked up my gun and am waiting for my cpl class and the wait for it to be "approved."

The Dude

Something to keep in mind is that Kroger's organized into a dozen regional units; that the Atlanta-area unit is a sponsor for sane carry laws doesn't mean much about the policies of Ohio stores.

Most of the contact emails and phone numbers will go to corporate-level people -- who have even less influence on the stores. Ohio has two Kroger "divisions" -- one centered around Cincinnati with parts of Indiana and Kentucky, and the Columbus one that covers the rest of the state. Try to find phone numbers for those offices; they have more influence on the day-to-day operations of the stores than do the corporate customer service lines.

RugerSP101

It appears that Kroger has just rolled out a new policy against Ohioans forbidding them from carrying their firearms where it would otherwise be legal. Ohioans for Concealed Carry carries the reports and thread here:

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=42653

Kroger stores (aka Fry's, King Soopers, City Market & Dillons) are all over the U.S. Even though this is an Ohio issue for now, let's make sure Kroger (www.kroger.com) hears from all of us who have their stores in our areas, so we can nip this bad stuff in the bud.
I just got off the phone with a Kroger manager and he says this ISNT the case at all.
He read me the email from their corporate office and it was basically saying that CCWers simply needed to keep their guns CONCEALED.
If it was seen and reported, the email informs the managers to approach the CCW'er and basically ask them to make sure they keep the gun concealed.
IF they refuse to cooperate then the manager is to stop dealing with the CCWer and bring in law enforcement.
This isnt verbatim but as stated the guy read the email to me directly from his screen.

The manager is going to talk to his supervisor and see if its ok to forward me the part about the CCW and if so I will post it ASAP.

Last edited: