Thread: New OC / CCW / CC (dis)organization -- let's all be "White Hats"

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA

Post imported post

I came up with this idea in a different thread, and it sounded good enough to expand on it.

I propose that the open-carry, CCW and Constitutional Carry movements be officially called the "White Hats," with the state name, such as "Nevada White Hats," "Arizona White Hats," etc, or a more colloquial name, such as "Battle Born White Hats." If the hoplophobes are going to call us "cowboys," let's turn that around on them by being the GOOD cowboys . . .which leaves only one part for them to play.

Let's all get white hats -- cowboy hats, boonie hats, ball caps, golf hats, whatever -- and wear them when we are carrying guns or just carrying the message.

In the same way the Colonies took "Yankee Doodle" -- originally a song written to condemn them -- and turned it around on the British, we can turn the "wild west" thing around on the hoplophobes.

There are a few other groups calling themselves "white hats," but that's not a problem -- the phrase is generic enough that nobody owns it.

However, as of a couple of minutes ago, _I_ own the domain thewhitehats.org -- beats heck out of me what I'm going to do with it, but I guess I'll put together a web page, mailing lists, etc. -- the main thing is that some hoplophobe can't grab it to trash us. I guess I'll put poster art and stuff there.

Post imported post

Sounds like an interesting idea. I for one am interested to see what happens with this!
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
    Second Amendment to the United States Constitution

Banned
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Why don't you just join us hat wearers (not caps!) that are very often also legally armed citizens. As an armed society is a polite society, wearing a hat politely expands one's awareness.

Post imported post

"White Hats" eh? Wonder if the "Brownshirts"in Germany started with the same sort of idea. Red Coats had a negative connotation.

I'm happy being united with you all as simply an "Armed American." We start wearing a uniform and they're going to villify our cause.

Post imported post

I actually like "Browncoats" for those of you who know Firefly.

Post imported post

Erus wrote:
    I actually like "Browncoats" for those of you who know Firefly.
    Hmmm, my avatar on every other forum I browse is the Serenity logo... Firefly is flippin' awesome!

:celebrate

Post imported post

And Star Trek fans don't want to be a redshirt.

Post imported post

A "white hat" as a group already exists in the computer world. In hacking, there are Black Hats, and White Hats. Black hats are those who hack for ill purposes, White hats are those who hack for the benefit of increasing security, or to prove a flaw exists so that it can be fixed.

Either way, I don't know if the possibility of confusion is worth it. Also of note, is that there IS a hacker convention here in Vegas every year. Black Hat 2010 is July 24-27 and will be attended by both Black Hats and White Hats alike. The annual convention just increases the possibility of confusion.

Post imported post

jfrey123 wrote:
    I'm happy being united with you all as simply an "Armed American." We start wearing a uniform and they're going to villify our cause.
    This is a very good point. Uniforms are probably not a good idea... I understand the reasoning behind the original post but we don't want to do anything to hurt our cause either...
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
    Second Amendment to the United States Constitution

Post imported post

jfrey123 wrote:
    "White Hats" eh? Wonder if the "Brownshirts"in Germany started with the same sort of idea. Red Coats had a negative connotation.

You mean, like they don't already villify our cause?

Consider that they have already given gunowners a stereotyped uniform -- cammies and a ball cap.

There is a longstanding positive connotation to white hats. That connotation comes from OPEN CARRY in the movies and in Western lore. Come to think of it, the folks in my avatar pic -- shot in 1957 -- are wearing white hats, and they were also open-carry folks.

We are the rightful inheritors of that favorable image. Let's put it to work for us.

Post imported post

gmijackso wrote:
    A "white hat" as a group already exists in the computer world.

[ . . . ]

Either way, I don't know if the possibility of confusion is worth it. Also of note, is that there IS a hacker convention here in Vegas every year. Black Hat 2010 is July 24-27 and will be attended by both Black Hats and White Hats alike. The annual convention just increases the possibility of confusion.
    I hate to tell you, but there really aren't any Vikings on the Minnesota football team, and they are also kind a short on Confederate soldiers at UNLV.

Most people figure out the division between one usage and another.

Besides, maybe some of the white hats at Black Hat (who maybe use Red Hat or Fedora) are some of our kind of White Hats too.

Post imported post

I only hack black hat hackers, does that make me a grey hat? We already have our trade mark, it's a holstered firearm for all to see.
    Nevada Campus Carry: The Movement Continues
    http://nvcampuscarry.blogspot.com

Post imported post

I think what is most significant, is that probably most of us don't even wear hats, and white usually doesn't match.
    "You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
    -- Charles A. Beard
    XD(m) 9mm

Post imported post

My lady, who is always in fashion and could make a tent look lovely, suggests that "White is the new black."

Post imported post

I believe you, but I just love my black hat too much. :P
    "You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
    -- Charles A. Beard
    XD(m) 9mm

Post imported post

Lots of folks have been wearing Red shirts on Friday's in support of OUR TROOPS for several years

Post imported post

flagellum wrote:
    I believe you, but I just love my black hat too much. :P
    Okay, so at the parades, you can wear a bandanna over your face and carry a "Crooks for Gun Control" sign.