• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New OC / CCW / CC (dis)organization -- let's all be "White Hats"

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
imported post

I came up with this idea in a different thread, and it sounded good enough to expand on it.

I propose that the open-carry, CCW and Constitutional Carry movements be officially called the "White Hats," with the state name, such as "Nevada White Hats," "Arizona White Hats," etc, or a more colloquial name, such as "Battle Born White Hats." If the hoplophobes are going to call us "cowboys," let's turn that around on them by being the GOOD cowboys . . .which leaves only one part for them to play.

Let's all get white hats -- cowboy hats, boonie hats, ball caps, golf hats, whatever -- and wear them when we are carrying guns or just carrying the message.

In the same way the Colonies took "Yankee Doodle" -- originally a song written to condemn them -- and turned it around on the British, we can turn the "wild west" thing around on the hoplophobes.

There are a few other groups calling themselves "white hats," but that's not a problem -- the phrase is generic enough that nobody owns it.

However, as of a couple of minutes ago, _I_ own the domain thewhitehats.org -- beats heck out of me what I'm going to do with it, but I guess I'll put together a web page, mailing lists, etc. -- the main thing is that some hoplophobe can't grab it to trash us. I guess I'll put poster art and stuff there.

jfrey123

imported post

"White Hats" eh? Wonder if the "Brownshirts"in Germany started with the same sort of idea. Red Coats had a negative connotation.

I'm happy being united with you all as simply an "Armed American." We start wearing a uniform and they're going to villify our cause.

gmijackso

imported post

A "white hat" as a group already exists in the computer world. In hacking, there are Black Hats, and White Hats. Black hats are those who hack for ill purposes, White hats are those who hack for the benefit of increasing security, or to prove a flaw exists so that it can be fixed.

Either way, I don't know if the possibility of confusion is worth it. Also of note, is that there IS a hacker convention here in Vegas every year. Black Hat 2010 is July 24-27 and will be attended by both Black Hats and White Hats alike. The annual convention just increases the possibility of confusion.

SCJeffro

imported post

jfrey123 wrote:
I'm happy being united with you all as simply an "Armed American." We start wearing a uniform and they're going to villify our cause.
This is a very good point. Uniforms are probably not a good idea... I understand the reasoning behind the original post but we don't want to do anything to hurt our cause either...

DVC

imported post

jfrey123 wrote:
"White Hats" eh? Wonder if the "Brownshirts"in Germany started with the same sort of idea. Red Coats had a negative connotation.

You mean, like they don't already villify our cause?

Consider that they have already given gunowners a stereotyped uniform -- cammies and a ball cap.

There is a longstanding positive connotation to white hats. That connotation comes from OPEN CARRY in the movies and in Western lore. Come to think of it, the folks in my avatar pic -- shot in 1957 -- are wearing white hats, and they were also open-carry folks.

We are the rightful inheritors of that favorable image. Let's put it to work for us.

DVC

imported post

gmijackso wrote:
A "white hat" as a group already exists in the computer world.

[ . . . ]

Either way, I don't know if the possibility of confusion is worth it. Also of note, is that there IS a hacker convention here in Vegas every year. Black Hat 2010 is July 24-27 and will be attended by both Black Hats and White Hats alike. The annual convention just increases the possibility of confusion.
I hate to tell you, but there really aren't any Vikings on the Minnesota football team, and they are also kind a short on Confederate soldiers at UNLV.

Most people figure out the division between one usage and another.

Besides, maybe some of the white hats at Black Hat (who maybe use Red Hat or Fedora) are some of our kind of White Hats too.

Judge.410

imported post

Lots of folks have been wearing Red shirts on Friday's in support of OUR TROOPS for several years :)