• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in a car, is holstered acceptable?

901-Memphis

imported post

While open carrying in KY without a permit do i need to put my gun in the glove box and then holster it when i get out of the car or is it being in the holster good enough being open carried while driving?

The thing is it kinda gets covered by my seat belt which makes it almost concealed unless i take the belt off.

Unfettered Might

imported post

To be 100% safe, keep it in the glove box.

Personally, I keep mine holstered. If a LEO were to pull me over for a traffic ticket, there is no reason why I can't discreetly put the firearm in the glove box when I'm getting my insurance card out. Just get it done before you've completely stopped the car. I've done it once already.

Do what makes you feel comfortable.

hotrod

imported post

Leave it lay! Kentucky police know the law and will not bother you. I have been pulled over once or twice or maybe more and my weapon laying on the passenger seat and not a word said.

901-Memphis

imported post

Well he does live in the same State AND city as me so maybe he has had friendly encounters with our local LEO.

I have only run into 1 LEO and it was at a gas station and he didn't say anything, although he was looking at me the whole time.

We have both Florence Police and Boone County Sheriffs going around the whole city though so you never really know who you will encounter.

hotrod

imported post

901-Memphis wrote:
Well he does live in the same State AND city as me so maybe he has had friendly encounters with our local LEO.

I have only run into 1 LEO and it was at a gas station and he didn't say anything, although he was looking at me the whole time.

We have both Florence Police and Boone County Sheriffs going around the whole city though so you never really know who you will encounter.
Boone County Sheriff's Dept knows the law. Florence PD knows the law. I have open carried in Louisville, Lexington, Somerset and many other cities and haven't even had any experience, either bad or good. Chris if you have had trouble in Louisville, go after them. File a complaint, the citizen review board there takes violation of rights very seriously.

rescue743

imported post

A person is guilty of carrying a concealed weapon when he or she carries concealed a firearm or other deadly weapon on or about his or her person.

hotrod

imported post

rescue743 wrote:

A person is guilty of carrying a concealed weapon when he or she carries concealed a firearm or other deadly weapon on or about his or her person.
You forgot the word "...knowingly carries..."

JEFFANDTHEA

imported post

Can it be loaded in the glove box? A friend told me of a guy getting arrested for CC because it was loaded. I can't find it in the KRS that says it has to be unloaded.

Tribunal Power

imported post

JEFFANDTHEA wrote:
Can it be loaded in the glove box? A friend told me of a guy getting arrested for CC because it was loaded. I can't find it in the KRS that says it has to be unloaded.
I don't believe so. The glove box is still considered OCing, and you can OC fully loaded, so it stands to reason that nothing needs to change to put it in the glove box. I haven't seen anything saying otherwise.

neuroblades

imported post

JEFFANDTHEA wrote:

Loaded and in the glove compartment is OC legal in Ky according to KRS! It seems asthough it would be considered a CC area but it's not. Loaded or not is never Stated as a condition.

As for the seat, I'd be cautious of this. OK, here's the scenario. You're driving along, your sidearm is laying on the seat next to you. Some jackass pulls out quickly in fornt of you and you have to slam on your brakes to avoid rearending them. Then you hit the gas to accelerate again and go on your way. Sounds inncoent but in all this motion, the sidearm has been thrown to the floor when you had to slam on the brakes, then when you accelerate fast, it caused the sidearm that's now on the car floor to move backwards and partially under the passenger seat. An LEO saw all of this and pulls you. When he walks up to your vehicle and sees the partial of a sidearm and if you're not CCDW licensed, you're going to be in trouble and charged with possession of a illegally concealed deadly weapon!

OK, I know that all this requires a bunch of different things to occur but it's still something that we all need to be aware of when carrying a sidearm in the seat.

While I still OC now that I have my CCDW, I'd strongly suggest that everyone get their CCDW just in case they need it at some point. Also, the story is that the CCDW class fee will be raised to $150 in the near future, the word still hasn't come down yet.

All POV's are personal. For legal specifics, contact an attorney. The scenario related above was realted to me personally by an attorney in criminal defense law.

JMJOHN0055

imported post

Simple way to get around this whole question is to get your CCDW. I have mine, and have had multiple encounters with LEOs OCing and CCing...will they watch you if they see you have a gun? Probably, but that's fine with me. It means they are actually paying attention...But if you can't/won't/don't want to get your CCDW then do yourself a favor and keep it in plain sight. Before I got my CCDW I kept my 9mm between my seat and when I got pulled over threw it on the passenger seat. No worries...

PreachermanMatt

imported post

JEFFANDTHEA wrote:
Can it be loaded in the glove box? A friend told me of a guy getting arrested for CC because it was loaded. I can't find it in the KRS that says it has to be unloaded

YMMV, but for me , "my friend heard of a guy" stories are on par with, "a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away" stories... I mean no insult to your friend, but I have a friend (in law enforcement) who told me a few stories. Here's a few just from this past weekend-he "heard" all these...

Obama made glock microstamp all 4th generations...so he bought an XD

Black Talon/Ranger ammo is illegal...

AK's and AR's shoot the same boooolet....

DPMS is what the Marine's use...

It's illegal to carry in church.

.40 is better than .45 b/c .45 will pass through anything and kill a kid on the other side--.40 is designed to stay inside a body. besides .45 won't travel past 50 yards....:uhoh:

Yes these are real stories all told to me this past friday. And yes it scares me for LE to not know the law-some of the above are funny, but a illegal arrest won't be good for anyone involved. So I stay away from stories...

Kriegsammler

imported post

PreachermanMatt wrote:
YMMV, but for me , "my friend heard of a guy" stories are on par with, "a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away" stories... (snip)
....So I stay away from stories...

Kriegsammler reads your post.. looks at your screen name... reads your post again.. in particular the parts quoted above..

Naw.. too easy.. I'll leave it alone. ;)

-Adam