• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC in a handbag

newoneatoc

imported post

Hallo to everybody.!

I’m new to the forum. I am also new to CC and OC (both). I have just received my GFL in the mailbox.

I have a question regarding CC. I would like to know if I can CC my handgun in my handbag (something like this one http://www.gotbriefcases.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/4/5/453-500-Tan.jpg ).In caseI can:

- Should I need to keep the gun in a holster when it is inside the handbag?

- Should I keep the handbagalways on my body or, for example, while at restaurant can I put the handbag on a chair close to me?

I hope these are not too silly questions :)!

Thanks.

Kingfish

imported post

1) WELCOME ABOARD

2) Always, Always be in 100% control of your firearm.

3) Off body carry is never the "best" choice for carry (think purse snatchings.)

4) Currently in GA a holster is required when the handgun is concealed.

5) For whatever carry method you choose make sure you practice (with a verified unloaded gun) until your draw is second nature.

6) If I were to off body carry, I would use something like this as it has a secure beltloop strap and a dedicated CC pocket....
http://www.amazon.com/Maxpedition-J...1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1274194222&sr=1-1-fkmr1

groats

imported post

Hi: I hope you'll take the time to join GeorgiaCarry.org,
there are about 7,000 members in Ga now, and GCO is (I think) primarily responsible for the new laws which will relax some of the nutty restrictions (providing the Governor will sign them).

As for carrying in a handbag, it seems to me that would be the most likely thing for a crook to grab, leaving you unprotected. Plus there is the legally fuzzy part: if it is in a bag, then it is concealed by the bag. But the law says that if it is concealed, then it must be in a holster.
But a gun in a holster in a bag is going to be very hard to get to in an emergency.

Or to look at it another way, the bag might attract a thief, while a gun on your belt might deter a thief.
I'd rather have them go elsewhere, myself.

Kingfish

imported post

Agreed with Groats.

OC in a proper retention holster is my preferred method of carry. However there are times it might be prudent to CC and for those times off body would be my last choice but if you must carry off body do so in a bag that has a purpose build CC pocket that will accommodate a holster.

The bag I have (linked above) has a CC pocket that is lines with loop side Velcro. I picked up a cheap nylon open top holster and used Gorilla glue to glue hook side Velcro to it. It holds the holster securely and in the same position. With my bag slung around my body and attached to my belt, it is going nowhere and can access the firearm one handed just as fast as I can when carried IWB (inside waist band.)

newoneatoc

imported post

I also have a Beretta fanny pack which has a build CC pocket. Before posting here I thought that I could insert a pistol directly in the pocket without the use of a holster. But I think you have clarified that as well: the gun must be in a holster, regardless.

Thank you for your suggestions.

And thank you for the information regarding GCO

groats

imported post

A literal reading of the law says it only has to be in a holster when concealed. But how do you carry one openly without using a holster?

On a chain around your neck? In your hand?
Either of those sounds like a very bad idea.
Especially in a 7-11 :)

rmodel65

imported post

groats wrote:
A literal reading of the law says it only has to be in a holster when concealed. But how do you carry one openly without using a holster?

On a chain around your neck? In your hand?
Either of those sounds like a very bad idea.
Especially in a 7-11 :)

tuck it into your pants or belt like Yukon Cornelius also carry in the hand is legal according to case law...

opencarrychristmas.jpg

newoneatoc

imported post

I took a a look of the current Georgia’s firearm laws. I found this language:

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126

Carrying a concealed weapon

(a) A person commits the offense of carrying a concealed weapon when such person knowingly has or carries about his or her person, unless in an open manner and fully exposed to view, any bludgeon, knuckles whether made from metal, thermoplastic, wood, or other similar material, firearm, knife designed for the purpose of offense and defense, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character outside of his or her home or place of business, except as permitted under this Code section.

(b) Upon conviction of the offense of carrying a concealed weapon, a person shall be punished as follows:

(1) For the first offense, he or she shall be guilty of a misdemeanor; and

(2) For the second offense, and for any subsequent offense, he or she shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be imprisoned for not less than two years and not more than five years.

(c) This Code section shall not permit, outside of his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business, the concealed carrying of a pistol, revolver, or concealable firearm by any person unless that person has on his or her person a valid license issued under Code Section 16-11-129 and the pistol, revolver, or firearm may only be carried in a shoulder holster, waist belt holster, any other holster, hipgrip, or any other similar device, in which event the weapon may be concealed by the person's clothing, or a handbag, purse, attache case, briefcase, or other closed container. Any person having been issued a license to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to Code Section 16-11-129 shall be permitted to carry such weapon, subject to the limitations of this part, in all parks, historic sites, or recreational areas as defined by Code Section 12-3-10 and in all wildlife management areas.

(d) This Code section shall not forbid the transportation of any firearm by a person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129, provided the firearm is enclosed in a case, unloaded, and separated from its ammunition.

(e) This Code section shall not forbid any person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129 from transporting a loaded firearm in any private passenger motor vehicle.

(f) On and after October 1, 1996, a person licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give effect within such state to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such license holder shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

Source: http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?title=16&chapter=11&section=126

Based on what I read on paragraph (c) it looks like the pistol can be carried in a handbag without a holster:

………… that person has on his or her person a valid license issued under Code Section 16-11-129 and the pistol, revolver, or firearm may only be carried in a shoulder holster, waist belt holster, any other holster, hipgrip, or any other similar device, in which event the weapon may be concealed by the person's clothing, OR A HANDBAG, PURSE, ATTACHE, CASE, BRIEFCASE, OR OTHER CLOSED CONTAINER ….

Or am I missing something?

rmodel65

imported post

if it is concealed by the bolded below you need a holster unless you're exempt under 16-11-130

that person has on his or her person a valid license issued under Code Section 16-11-129 and the pistol, revolver, or firearm may only be carried in a shoulder holster, waist belt holster, any other holster, hipgrip, or any other similar device, in which event the weapon may be concealed by the person's clothing, OR A HANDBAG, PURSE, ATTACHE, CASE, BRIEFCASE, OR OTHER CLOSED CONTAINER ….

groats

imported post

"Am I missing something?"
Yes, I think so.
...even then the person may only carry the pistol, revolver, or concealable firearm only in a shoulder holster, waist belt holster, or any other holster (ankle holster, crotch holster, fanny pack holster, pocket holster,ect) and also a hipgrip or any other similar securing device (a hipgrip is a type of grip that has a clip sticking out to hook on to your belt or pants, a similar device to the hipgrip is a clip) at which point the weapon MAY BE concealed by the person's clothing, or handbag, purse, briefcase, or any other close container.
From Georgia Gun Laws in plain English
http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

Note that the required method of carry must be met first, that done, the weapon may then be concealed (if desired).

So, strangely enough, a gun with a hipgrip could be in a purse and be legal. There's no wording in the law that says the hipgrip must be attached to anything. Weird.

Nevertheless, carrying in a purse seems like a very poor idea. What gets snatched most often, belts, or purses?

Wiley

imported post

Not to try to resusitate an old thread but... with SB308 becomming law and the GFL becomming a GWL (georgia weapons licence) the requiremet of a holster has been removed.