• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Harassed This Morning While Walking My Dogs

M

McX

imported post

rak, the problem is obvious; you go out walking your dogs wearing a black t-shirt, and strutting!;)

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

McX wrote:
rak, the problem is obvious; you go out walking your dogs wearing a black t-shirt, and strutting!;)
LOL! This morning is HOT so instead of my "struttin hot black shirt with full black face mask" I am in shorts and a tee shirt. I am glad it is warming up! My garden loves the sun and yesterday I transplanted three dozen plants...all doing well!

Anyway, see you today at 1 pm....same bat channel, same bat time!:dude:

ChinChin

imported post

When I get people who tell me I'm not allowed to carry or that it's "against the law" I tell them they're flat-out wrong, that I've researched the law backwards and forwards but to go ahead and call the police and we would see who is right. I had one entitlement based haughty Soccer mom whip out her cell phone and actually follow me, giving 911 (I assume) a running dialog on what I was doing. after 4 minutes or so I see her throw her cell phone against the dashboard and peel out. I laughed so hard that she gave me the one finger salute out the window as she was waiting to turn, which made me laugh even harder.

I saw her again in the local Starbucks (I was still open carrying) and asked her how her 911 call went and if she believed me yet? Another round of soccer mom entitlement min-van ranting ensued.

Moral of the story. . .don't even bother trying to enlighten the entitlement base who are convinced open carry or ANYTHING else is 100% legal as their puny entitlement brain can't fathom they could possibly be mistaken. When they call the police and they show up I've heard instances where they'll tell the police they're mistaken and even looking at the lawbook cite. . .nothing.

M

McX

imported post

well, for our coffee meet, i plan to wear a black t-shirt, and do a west coast strutt that is sweet as molasses, but what realy knock them out is my cheap sunglasses.:cool:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ChinChin wrote:
When I get people who tell me I'm not allowed to carry or that it's "against the law" I tell them they're flat-out wrong, that I've researched the law backwards and forwards but to go ahead and call the police and we would see who is right. I had one entitlement based haughty Soccer mom whip out her cell phone and actually follow me, giving 911 (I assume) a running dialog on what I was doing. after 4 minutes or so I see her throw her cell phone against the dashboard and peel out. I laughed so hard that she gave me the one finger salute out the window as she was waiting to turn, which made me laugh even harder.

I saw her again in the local Starbucks (I was still open carrying) and asked her how her 911 call went and if she believed me yet? Another round of soccer mom entitlement min-van ranting ensued.

Moral of the story. . .don't even bother trying to enlighten the entitlement base who are convinced open carry or ANYTHING else is 100% legal as their puny entitlement brain can't fathom they could possibly be mistaken. When they call the police and they show up I've heard instances where they'll tell the police they're mistaken and even looking at the lawbook cite. . .nothing.
Wow. That happened in Virginia. That is really messed up. Here in Wisconsin most people are not used to seeing anyone but cops with a gun in a holster. We have to be the best ambassadors we can so we don't frighten the sheeple. This story here was not actually about open carry but about an idjut harassing me because my dogs pooped during their morning walk. I immediately picked it up and bagged it and dropped it in my jacket pocket. This idjut hops in his minivan and comes flying up to me, rolls the window down and tells me "That is illegal". I thought he meant my firearm but instead he meant the dog poop. Anyway, so I have the episode on video in HD and have been thinking of just posting it on youtube. One would think that people have better things to do than harass someone for not doing anything illegal.:exclaim:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

McX wrote:
well, for our coffee meet, i plan to wear a black t-shirt, and do a west coast strutt that is sweet as molasses, but what realy knock them out is my cheap sunglasses.:cool:

LOL! Well, I wish I could wear my sunglasses. I have prescription glasses now (getting old!) and they have the sun glass feature (whatever that is called) and turn dark when in bright light. Problem is they are not good enough for bright light and my eyes water (light sensitive eyes from way too many years under water) and once I get inside the glasses take about 5 minutes to change back so I can see in low light conditions.

Anyway, I hope more of us make it today!:D

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

rcawdor57 wrote:
When I lived in Washington state back in the 90's a friend of mine was accused of pointing his handgun at another person while driving in the Olympic Peninsula. This was in 1999 and most everyone had cell phones. Anyway, he gets pulled over and he let the cop search his car and they find his handgun (which was legal). They inform him he is under arrest for pointing his gun at another driver who had called the police. Uh...What? He had no idea who or why anyone would do this. He spent over $3K on his lawyer and court fees just so the judge could eventually dismiss it due to insufficient evidence.
That is a great example of why you never let the police do a search, and this guy should have never been arrested because the police had zero evidence that would corroborate the callers tale.
Police cannot "Legally" arrest a person solely on a statement of a witness. I believe that is covered in Terry V. Ohio.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
rcawdor57 wrote:
When I lived in Washington state back in the 90's a friend of mine was accused of pointing his handgun at another person while driving in the Olympic Peninsula. This was in 1999 and most everyone had cell phones. Anyway, he gets pulled over and he let the cop search his car and they find his handgun (which was legal). They inform him he is under arrest for pointing his gun at another driver who had called the police. Uh...What? He had no idea who or why anyone would do this. He spent over $3K on his lawyer and court fees just so the judge could eventually dismiss it due to insufficient evidence.
That is a great example of why you never let the police do a search, and this guy should have never been arrested because the police had zero evidence that would corroborate the callers tale.
Police cannot "Legally" arrest a person solely on a statement of a witness. I believe that is covered in Terry V. Ohio.

I have to disagree a bit. I know a man personally who was arrested because a 13 y.o. girl told her mother that he molested her. He was arrested on the spot, taken to jail, charged, etc....spent 3 months in jail, bonded out, two years of hearings and a trial and found....not guilty. Cost him $40K, lost his job, his house, his car, credit destroyed, etc.

Heck, we have a school teacher here at Indian Trail Academy who has been arrested, charged and in court now for the same thing I mentioned above. Is he guilty? IDK but it was one person's word against another.

I do agree, never let them search! I saw an episode of COPS a few years back where they arrested this guy because he had a extension nozzle from a WD-40 can on the front seat of his truck. Charge? Drug paraphernalia. So, don't let them search!

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

rcawdor57 wrote:
I have to disagree a bit.  I know a man personally who was arrested because a 13 y.o. girl told her mother that he molested her.  He was arrested on the spot, taken to jail, charged, etc....spent 3 months in jail, bonded out, two years of hearings and a trial and found....not guilty.  Cost him $40K, lost his job, his house, his car, credit destroyed, etc.

I was just a jury foreman on a case EXACTLY like that! The prosecutions case was laughable.

M

McX

imported post

since this doesn't realy fit into a category, i thought i'd make mention of it here, and ask for opinions and input. Yesterday; i get home, and the kids come trooping in one by one, bringing their friends with them. some time goes by, and some guy shows up at my door; father of one of the kids. it seems that junior was grounded, and snuck over to our house. ofcourse, when called and asked by the father, my kid covered for his buddy; no he ain't here. so now i got an angry dad at my door. i know nothing about what is going on. i answer the door, the guy holds the screen door open, but doesn't want to come in. we assembled the envolved parties, and get to the truth. i can tell this kid's dad is realy mad. so i tell him; you speak with yours, and i'll speak with mine. i then extend my hand, and offer him a handshake, while thanking him for coming over, and calling my attention to this; the chump grabs my hand, wrenches my arm, and does one of these 'power shakes', hurting me in the process. i think it's time i start answering the door with my gun tucked in my waist band, and advising my 'government' of my plan. thoughts and opinions? i felt like i was assaulted, in my own home no less!

AaronS

imported post

I put my firearm on when I put my belt on. So I answer the door "loaded". My neaghborhood is going down hill, and I think it a good idea to carry at home. I don't know if this would have helped you, but I don't think it would have hurt.

Ya know, the story makes me miss being a kid...

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

McX wrote:
Since this doesn't really fit into a category, I thought I would make mention of it here, and ask for opinions and input. Yesterday; I get home, and the kids come trooping in one by one, bringing their friends with them. Some time goes by, and some guy shows up at my door; Father of one of the kids. It seems that junior was grounded, and snuck over to our house. Of course, when called and asked by the father, my kid covered for his buddy; No he ain't here. So now I got an angry dad at my door. I know nothing about what is going on. I answer the door, the guy holds the screen door open, but doesn't want to come in. We assembled the involved parties, and get to the truth. I can tell this kid's dad is really mad. So I tell him; You speak with yours, and I will speak with mine. I then extend my hand, and offer him a handshake, while thanking him for coming over, and calling my attention to this; The chump grabs my hand, wrenches my arm, and does one of these 'power shakes', hurting me in the process. I think it's time I start answering the door with my gun tucked in my waist band, and advising my 'government' of my plan. Thoughts and opinions? I felt like i was assaulted, in my own home no less!
I think wearing your sidearm in your home is absolutely the best thing to do. I wear mine in my home at all times except when sleeping, showering, etc.... I have answered the door quite a few times wearing my G36 and usually no one notices. Back on track...my opinion is NEVER let anyone in your home that you are not familiar with, especially an angry person. Keep them outside and I suggest you stay INSIDE during an event like this (which I think you did :idea:).

As for shaking his hand? I think it would depend on the person at the door. If he was still an angry S.O.B. I would not extend my hand to him. From your description it sounded like the guy blamed you for his kid being there and there may be more underlying problems with that family than meets the eye. As the robot would say "Danger Will Robinson, Danger!"

Not sure what you mean by "advising my government of my plan"?? Maybe a sign on your front door stating "This is an armed home"?

M

McX

imported post

the event surprised the hell out of me, the guy realy twisted my arm, and it still hurts today. which isn't funny since i count on my arms, and attached hands to make a living. i have to wonder; what's with this power handshake crap?! handshakes are supposed to be a greeting, not a power struggle. injuring or inflicting pain on someone isn't a handshake to me. and doing it on my own property ain't too cool either. taking his anger out on me, on my property ain't too cool either. kids are kids, and you have to take what they do with a grain of salt. my government, is my wife. but, yes, i am reevaluating my door answering policy.

M

McX

imported post

i agree doug. and what i find interesting is for the most part open carriers i have found to be thoughtful, compliant, good citizens, with an accepting and friendly attitude. guess that's why the rest aren't oc-ers huh?

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ah...I forgot about your wife! ;)

Well, I think if you had been armed he would not have been such an ogre. But, who knows? He may have gone off the deep end after seeing your firearm?!

B

bhancock

imported post

I wear my gun at home all day long. Goes on in the morning and comes off at night. My wife asked me one day why I wear it at home and I answered "if I need it, I know where it is and if it is in my holster I know one of the kids isn't fiddling with it." She appreciated that answer.

I find it does tend to be a silent moderator when things could possibly become intense during incidents like the one you described. My guess is you either would have gotten a more polite handshake or none at all. Sounds like either would have been better.

M

McX

imported post

silent moderator. one of the best phrases i have ever heard. yeah, coulda skipped the handshake. no good deed goes unpunished.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This morning I finally ran into the guy that harassed me a few weeks ago. As I am walking my dogs towards his house (facing his house from across the street on a sidewalk) he comes out wearing...get this, full length pajamas. Weird. Anyway, I pull the Kenosha ordinance out of my pocket and ask him if he would like to see what the law is. He said he knew what it was. I read the part to him (still across the street) loudly about picking up the poop and that it was legal as long as it is immediately picked up. I then asked him if he wanted my copy and he said "I got it". I then told him if he harassed me again I would file a criminal complaint against him for harassment. He didn't say a word and just turned and went back in his house.

All recorded on video with my Creative Vado.:exclaim: