Thread: Hamilton County

Post imported post

Does any body who might live in Hamilton County knows how the cops view open carry are they against open carry.

Post imported post

Too many agencies involved for anybody to give you a county-wide thumbs up or thumbs down. I'd say most LEO's in HamCo know the gist of open carry being legal and follow it. If you're going to open carry, I advise also taking along a voice recorder, and a totable sized version of the appropriate sections of Ohio Revised Code. Also, PM a couple of folks here who know their stuff in this regard:

1) BB62

2) color of law

(Sorry to haul you two boys out on the stage like that, by the way.)

Meantime dig through posts authored by those two gents here in the Ohio section.

Post imported post

I have heard about the voice recorder now if im stopped by a LEO do i have to tell them they are being recorded.

Post imported post

No. In Ohio only one party in the recorded conversation has to be aware/give consent to being taped. So as long as you know the conversation is being recorded, all is good.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar

Post imported post

The threat by the police will be inducing panic. But the statute has not worked for the police. ORC 2931.31 requires a crime to be committed that induced the panic.

Post imported post

you mean 2917.31?

Post imported post

xD.45Service wrote:
    you mean 2917.31?
    I stand corrected. Thank-you.

My wife's cousin is married to a Hamilton PD officer. We were sitting around talking by the pool at a family gathering last night (just the menfolk in the family), about everything from cornbread recipes to the economy to guns. We discussed OC too. He doesn't support it, wouldn't do it himself, and grudgingly admitted it's "probably not illegal".

Interestingly, he also mentioned that "no guns" signs mean very little, and ignoring them would "get you a simple trespass if anything".

I'll also report here that I OC'ed my 1911 on Sunday while walking the baby in the stroller in Fairfield. We went down Pleasant Ave, Magie, Fairfield Ave to Symmes, and back. Smiled and waved to a few people, helped a lady find a house for rent, and had no negative encounters to report.

I'd like to hear from someone who OCs around Clifton lol. Considering the place is a crime infested warzone....I'm surprised I don't see me more people OCing around there.

Quote Originally Posted by trooper46 View Post
    I'd like to hear from someone who OCs around Clifton lol. Considering the place is a crime infested warzone....I'm surprised I don't see me more people OCing around there.
    Clifton does not seem to be a great place to OC. Most places in Clifton are bars and University property, both gun free zones. What's left, book stores???? Most that frequent Clifton are students.

Last time I was in Clifton I OC'd with a bunch of others; it was a nonevent.
    Last edited by color of law; 09-07-2010 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hef View Post
    My wife's cousin is married to a Hamilton PD officer...We discussed OC too. He doesn't support it, wouldn't do it himself, and grudgingly admitted it's "probably not illegal"...
    "PROBABLY"---"PROBABLY"---I hope he didn't use the word probably.

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    "PROBABLY"---"PROBABLY"---I hope he didn't use the word probably.
    Yeah, he did. He was hammered, so I cut him some slack.

Quote Originally Posted by Hef View Post
    Yeah, he did. He was hammered, so I cut him some slack.
    Nothing worse than an uninformed drunk cop.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfa...k_police_o.php

Cool Clifton-OC

Someone asked about Clifton...

I like to OC/CC I have been in the area for work and like doing both... I've read about a dude being harassed at the same stop n rob (Shell on Ohio) I frequent for OC'n but so far I haven't had a neg encounter....

I would Strongly advise you to know where you are walking....if your in the campus area South of Martin Luther King to Calhoun, East of Clifton Ave to Jefferson.... I would walk on the opposite sides of the streets and that perimeter as it is UNIVERSITY property.... (here's a url for google map - http://goo.gl/maps/J8yY )

I frequent Over the Rhine, (not because I like to but I have friends with property and businesses there) and OC there, the only thing I notice is that the crack heads or bg's seem to notice that your OC'g john q public (sheep) doesn't seem to notice, when the bg types see it they head away.
    Favorite recent Quote:
    "As long as I'm prosecutor, if someone comes into a store with a gun and I've said it before and I'll say it again they have forfeited their right not to be shot,"
    Hamilton County, Ohio - prosecutor; Joe Deters

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    The threat by the police will be inducing panic. But the statute has not worked for the police. ORC 2931.31 requires a crime to be committed that induced the panic.
    Just curious... does that mean inducing panic (IP) is always an "add on" charge? In other words, a person cannot be charged solely with IP?

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Patriot View Post
    Just curious... does that mean inducing panic (IP) is always an "add on" charge? In other words, a person cannot be charged solely with IP?
    For the most part, that's Correct.