• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Suggestions for CC during Summer in FLA

MarkWalther

imported post

In this "warm" state of Florida - I am looking for suggestions for CC during the warmer months.

I usually wear shorts and tank tops. DO I need to change my attire?

Anyone have suggested methods?

Thanks

MW

sprat

imported post

I started wearing hawaiian shirts more and more,

I also wear and prefer t-shirts, I wear XL so I upped the size conceals well

yes I fanny pack it on those extreme hot ones or bike riding ( for those detractors I don't care how it looks)

sprat

MarkWalther

imported post

I guess I could do that. Leave the tank as an under shirt and throw a hawaiian over it. I am already wearing XXL shirts as it is.

Not that I'm fat, 230 lbs.....just so it fits my sholders and chest. :celebrate

How about the holster? Need something that won't make my shorts fall down.... from the weight. :shock:

thanks

MW

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nothing beats a good gun belt. I just ordered a new one from HBE Leatherworks. The Belt Man also has good stuff. Your belt is the foundation of your carry solution.

With a good belt you can hang an M-60 machine gun to your side and walk 30 miles.
my knees hurt...

JeepSeller

imported post

StogieC is correct. Your belt is your foundation. It MUST be a gun belt too. Your stiff work belt from WalMart just won't do. It needs to be a belt designed for gun carry. Only a gun belt is designed to carry the weight and keep things close and up tight to your body without movement.

As far as a holster goes, if you're willing to make a few sacrificeson your outer wear, I like an OWB holster.(less leather contact w/skin) I carry a FULL size Beretta service pistol OWB under nothing more than a one size too large t-shirt and I have little trouble printing. Your shirt "print" and/or color is important. Lighter colors seem to print more. I like to get those darkly colored "speckled" gym style t-shirts. It acts as camoflague (spelling?) by breaking up the outline of any printing you get. Ieven find them with thebreast pocket, which I like and search for longer ones that won't ride up when I bend/move to expose the bottom of my OWB holster.

Honestly, a comfy well worn/washed cotton t-shirt, tucked in to give you a sweat barrier between leather/gun and skin, combined with a high quality, long tailed, cotton button down/unbuttoned overshirt works wonders. I could probably hide a bazooka under that combination. :lol: And, it's suprisingly NOT hot. Layered cotton is how they've been dealing with desert heat for centuries.

Daddyo

imported post

I carry my Keltec PF9 in the front pocket of my shorts with no problem. My shorts aren't even the baggy style (can't stand those), 4" inseam with a drawstring.
I've also carried it IWB, but never found a holster that didn't irritate the heck out of me.

JeepSeller

imported post

I have a small collection of Hawiian shirts myself.

I worked fora Private Investigator some years ago who ALWAYS wore them. Very few people ever knew the real reason why. :lol:

JeepSeller

imported post

It's unfortunate, but, yea, CCing in Florida does ususally require a little re-think on your wardrobe. Even if we could OC in FL, you'd still need a solid belt and some britches with belt loops. :lol:

Some folks find they can pocket carrry something small, like a Bersa Thunder .380. or any one of the "micro" guns as I call them, and get away from the need for the belt and such. But, I've borrowed my friend's Bersa, and I found I still needed a belt to hold up my shorts, it just wouldn't have to be a gun belt then.

Shoulder holster carry is almost unheard of here, as the type of cover garment required to conceal those rigs are usually heavy blazers or some kind of overcoat.

We're kind of limited due to the way we need to cope with our summer weather here, which does make the lack of OC ability that much more frustrating. But, if you want to protect yourself and your family in Florida....CC is all ya got for now.

But, as I say, I DO conceal a full sized Beretta OWB with just a lightweight t-shirt. It just takes trial and error to find the right position on your waist, and color/print scheme of shirts to conceal properly. I'm also a pretty big fella, but, I'd imagine smaller folk could still hide the more concealable carry designed guns in the same way if they tried.

Good luck and keep safe.

MarkWalther

imported post

One last question.

I am looking for a SERPA (left handed) holsterfor the XDM-40 3.8.

All I see out there are right handed models. Anyone seen any, vendor?

Thanks

MW

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MarkWalther wrote:
One last question.

I am looking for a SERPA (left handed) holsterfor the XDM-40 3.8.
All I see out there are right handed models. Anyone seen any, vendor?
Thanks

MW
They have them on Amazon

steve33904

imported post

http://www.jmgholsters.com I'm also about 230lbs I carry a full size pistol

in a jmg ( IWB 3.2 with sweat shield ) the foward cant and offset clip

really help to conceal it I usually wear hawaian type shirts (tommy bahama)

but somtimes I wear a loose tee shirt If you are a big guy this is no problem

to conceal a full size pistol. The trick is in the gear and position . this rig

worn right behind the hip is very comfotable and discreet. I found this guy online

lots of good reviews. my primary at the time was a RUGER P-95 not an easy pistol

to find holsters for. I tried lots of holsters most suck you really need to read the blogs you will learn alot from other peoples experiences

CruiseDork

imported post

I use a SmartCarry holster (http://www.smartcarry.com/index.html) and love it. I can wear anything I like and not worry about printing or retention. Plus, Charlie is a Florida boy and I like supporting local businesses. On the rare occasions I don't wear my SmartCarry I use a Cell Pal (http://www.concealedcomfort.com/). It doesn't quite fit my XD 45 so I carry the Colt Govt 380 in that.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Some of us haven't got a distended abdomen to hide large objects with.

There is simply no way thin or in-shape people can CC on a Gun Belt without printing. Which, in Florida, is treated as severely as Brandishing. It's a Felony.

What about the Ladies? Generally speaking, they're of slighter build than men. God save the Purse, or there'd be no way for them to CC here at all. I've met few Ladies here who DON'T carry illegally. It's just dumb not to have protection.

Personally, I can't even get away with pocket carry of a P-32, it prints very obviously. Even in Baggy camo-pattern BDUs.

My only suggestion is a 6 O'Clock IWB Holster with a Medium Frame Aluminum/Stainless and Stainless Slide. The small of my back is the only real place I have to conceal something on my body. As much Stainless as you can get. You're going to sweat all over it, accept this fact. You will not get around it. Stainless. Stainless. Stainless. Those black alloy grip screws? Replace them with, you guessed it, Stainless. Have I said it enough? No, I haven't. Stainless. You ARE going to cover it in a body-supplied wetness that is more caustic than sea water for many hours every day. STAINLESS!

Wait for it....

STAINLESS!!!!!

brboyer

Some of us haven't got a distended abdomen to hide large objects with.

There is simply no way thin or in-shape people can CC on a Gun Belt without printing. Which, in Florida, is treated as severely as Brandishing. It's a Felony.
What about the Ladies? Generally speaking, they're of slighter build than men. God save the Purse, or there'd be no way for them to CC here at all. I've met few Ladies here who DON'T carry illegally. It's just dumb not to have protection.

Personally, I can't even get away with pocket carry of a P-32, it prints very obviously. Even in Baggy camo-pattern BDUs.

My only suggestion is a 6 O'Clock IWB Holster with a Medium Frame Aluminum/Stainless and Stainless Slide. The small of my back is the only real place I have to conceal something on my body. As much Stainless as you can get. You're going to sweat all over it, accept this fact. You will not get around it. Stainless. Stainless. Stainless. Those black alloy grip screws? Replace them with, you guessed it, Stainless. Have I said it enough? No, I haven't. Stainless. You ARE going to cover it in a body-supplied wetness that is more caustic than sea water for many hours every day. STAINLESS!

Wait for it....

STAINLESS!!!!!

BS, again.

Not illegal in Florida to 'print', not even close. No such thing as brandishing in Florida - closest thing is Improper exhibition of dangerous weapons or firearms, which is a misdemeanor and does not include this so-called 'printing'.
Any size person can conceal a belt holster IWB/OWB, it just takes a little effort.
A quality holster will keep most of the sweat off the pistol, and a quality pistol will not rust away! No need to go STAINLESS!

JeepSeller

ixtow, I'd like to reinforce what brboyer stated. In Florida, there is no such thing "legally" as brandishing. Even if so, printing is not brandishing in accordance with Florida Statute 790

Copied and pasted from here... http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/in...Search_String=concealed&URL=Ch0790/Sec001.HTM

790.001 Definitions.--As used in this chapter, except where the context otherwise requires:

(2) "concealed firearm" means any firearm, as defined in subsection (6), which is carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the firearm from the ordinary sight of another person.

Ordinary sight is the key here. A printing gun is STILL concealed from ordinary sight.

Printing is HIGHLY over-inflated anyway. If you're dressing right, with the right equipment, the most one should see is a slight "bulge" in your clothing. Given today's technology, that bulge is more often than not passed off as a cellphone, PDA, etc. Either way, that bulge is not illegal.

Many people worry about printing too much. With a little thought and GOOD equipment, you really shouldn't print at all, regardless of build. I know a girl who's all of 100lbs soaking wet who carries a medium size semi-auto IWB everyday and you'd never know. The key is GOOD equipment to start. A gun belt is a MUST! Not that thick, stiff work belt you found at Skips Western Wear. Only a belt purposely designed to carry a gun, combined with a good quality holster will keep everything tucked up tight to your body. The rest is finding the right position on your body, IWB/OWB setup, and you WILL have to adjust your clothing choices some.

For example, I wear a FULL SIZED Beretta, OWB of all things. And, I don't always wear over shirts. I can wear a cotton t-shirt one size larger. A "busy" print helps, as do darker colors. I can promise you, I could stand in front of you, turn around, even move around and you'd be VERY hard pressed to decide if I'm right handed or a lefty. In other words, you stand a better chance (50/50) of guessing which side my gun is on than actually determining it by looking.

Oh, and by the way, mine's a Bianchi holster off the shelf. Nothing super expensive or custom and I wear a hand-me-down belt from a friend who ordered it, and didn't like the color, and remembered I'm not picky. So, GOOD equipment doesn't have to be expensive. I think I got my holster on sale at Bass Pro Shops for $40 IIRC. A GOOD custom set up gets even better.

Last edited: