• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NOVA CC classes??

chrisco455

imported post

I want to get my CC license in VA? Where are there hunter safety/ good CC courses so that I may apply for my permit and not be out $150+???

virginiatuck

imported post

The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries offers Hunter Education courses, free of charge, throughout the year at various times across the Commonwealth. It is a two-day course; day 2 is a review and a test. You will receive a certificate of completion on the same day, if you pass the test. I have read that there is also an on-line option for the VDGIF Hunter Education training and test.

You would be taught, among other things, general firearms safety including safe handling practices as well as "safe" and "unsafe" shots. You will also learn how firearms work, from muzzle loaders to semi-auto. The context of this training is in the outdoors, away from cities and subdivisions. You would *not* learn any urban self-defense scenarios, tactics, nor any laws beyond the fish and game laws of Virginia.

230therapy

imported post

FPF Training (fpftraining.com) does their "Concealed Carry for Self-Defense" course, which fulfills the Virginia requirements. It's a two day course that is much more than a legal discussion and introduction to handguns. They go into mindset, how to handle police, basic tactics and shooting for self-defense. The shooting portion consists of about 16 hours of training and is not target shooting. The fight starts with awareness and recognition of the threat and lasts through the end of court. Firearms safety is important, but it does not teach someone how to fight.