• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Watch channel 4 new at 5pm today

Glockface

imported post

Some guy was arrested for open carring a pistol and rifle.That's all i heard about it.Watch channel 4 news at 5pm.

Glockface

imported post

Some guy was riding a bike carring a .40 pistol and an AR15 type .22 rifle.He rode too close to a school and was taken into custody in sheyboygan.Charges are pending.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Thanks.

Hours after being questioned and released by police, a 23-year-old man was arrested Monday for allegedly carrying two guns — one of them loaded — near a Sheboygan Falls school, officials said today.

Matt Hubing, of 85 Wisconsin St. in Sheboygan Falls, was booked into jail about 7:30 p.m. Monday and is scheduled to make an initial court appearance Wednesday, jail officials said. Sheboygan Falls police plan to send a report to the District Attorney’s Office late today or early Wednesday recommending a felony charge of possession of a firearm in a school zone, said Police Chief Steve Riffel.

“It came to light to us that he was in violation of the 1,000 feet of a school with a loaded weapon, and we have very big concerns about that,” Riffel said. “After warning him the previous week and (knowing) he’s keenly aware of the law, that’s why we proceeded with (seeking charges).”

Hubing was wearing camouflage clothing when he rode his bicycle carrying an assault-style rifle and handgun on Monday, he said in an interview prior to his arrest. Police stopped him after being contacted by several concerned citizens, but he was released after officers confirmed he could legally have the guns and was not within 1,000 feet of a school, said Riffel.

But police learned later in the evening the addresses Hubing was biking to and from were both within school zones, Riffel said. Hubing came to the police department on his own and was arrested there.

Hubing was stopped Monday while biking on Fond du Lac Avenue and last week while walking through downtown, Riffel has said. Both times he had a loaded .40-caliber handgun in a holster and an unloaded .22-caliber assault-style rifle — similar to an M-16 — slung over his shoulder.

Hubing said early Monday afternoon he was taking the guns to show a friend last week, and Monday he was going to a friend’s house outside the city limits for target shooting. He said he was openly carrying the guns because his truck was out of commission and it’s awkward to carry the rifle’s case.

He said he was aware of the school zone law and believed what he was doing was “perfectly legal.”

State law, as clarified in an opinion by Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen last April, allows open carry of firearms, but other laws prohibit carrying guns in or around locations such as schools, bars and public buildings.

Online court records show Hubing has two disorderly conduct convictions, one of which is a 2007 case that was amended from a charge of intentionally pointing a firearm at a person. He also has a deferred conviction agreement pending on misdemeanor counts of disorderly conduct and resisting or obstructing an officer.

moz-screenshot-3.png

imported post

http://www.sheboyganpress.com/article/20100518/SHE0101/5180428/1062/SHE01

Police questioned but took no action against a 23-year-old Sheboygan Falls man Monday who rode a bicycle through the city wearing camouflage clothing and carrying an assault-style rifle and handgun.

Chief Steve Riffel said officers talked to the man, Matt Hubing, after several "very concerned" residents contacted police. He was similarly questioned last week for openly carrying the guns.

Hubing said he wasn't making any political point — he simply didn't have another way to carry the weapons.

"My truck is out of use for right now, so I bike around, and it's hard to carry the case," Hubing said Monday.

Open carry of firearms has come under scrutiny in Wisconsin since Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen issued an opinion last April reinforcing the legality of carrying non-concealed weapons. The opinion said carrying a weapon alone, without extenuating circumstances, should not result in a criminal charge.

Riffel said Hubing was spotted last week walking through downtown carrying the guns and wearing camouflage pants. Monday afternoon he was seen riding his bike on Fond du Lac Avenue with the guns. Hubing said both times he had a holstered .40-caliber handgun that was loaded and a .22-caliber assault-style rifle over his shoulder that was not loaded.

Hubing said he was going to show the guns to a friend last week, and Monday he was going to a friend's house outside the city limits for target shooting.

Riffel said police confirmed Hubing was legally allowed to own and carry the guns and reminded him he isn't allowed to carry them within 1,000 feet of a school. Both times Hubing was then allowed to continue on.

"I think it alarms people," Riffel said. "I fully realize that people have rights to openly carry exposed firearms … but people are also concerned, and, depending on the situation, we certainly are going to ascertain if people are legally able to have firearms and do some checking."

Online court records show Hubing has two disorderly conduct convictions, one of which is a 2007 case that was amended from a charge of intentionally pointing a firearm at a person. He also has a deferred conviction agreement pending on misdemeanor counts of disorderly conduct and resisting or obstructing an officer.
Hubing said he harbors no ill will toward the people who reported him, but he also has no plans to stop carrying the guns.

"I understand that concern. I'm probably like the only guy in Sheboygan County that open carries," Hubing said. "What I'm doing is perfectly legal, so nothing against them. They can (complain) if they want to."

TyGuy

imported post

Darn it, this is not going to help the movement especially if he was in fact breaking the law.

Captain Nemo

imported post

hard to sympathsize with someone that claims to know the state gun laws and then carries a loaded firearm on a vehicle within a school zone, simply because it was too cumbersome to carry a case on a bicycle. I sure hope he doesn't associatehimselfwith OCDO. WCI officers should get busy fast disavowing any connection to the idiot.

M

McX

imported post

your going to make me open my mouth. the matter should be deferred as wisconsin carry has a suit going, and there may be sweeping changes being handed down by the supreme court.

i won't say conspiracy, but it seems like cops, now criminals too, prosecutors and such, all taking a look at our right to carry, and beyond.

Teej

imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
What's a deffered conviction agreement? Google fu is weak on my phone.
Generally it means if you keep your nose clean for the prescribed time period, the charge goes away.

Offend again and you get sentenced for the old and the new.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

TyGuy wrote:
Darn it, this is not going to help the movement especially if he was in fact breaking the law.

Why?

Our federal lawsuit contends that its nearly impossible to practically exercise your right to carry with these onerous unmarked, undefined school zones.

It was only a matter of time before a law-abiding citizen was ensnared by one.

GlocksRfun

imported post

Sounds like the cops didn't care about the being on a bike part. Maybe a bike isn't a vehicle. How about that.

imported post

Police have and abuse discretion. Their failure of discretion is proof of nothing.

See Chapter 340 Vehicles -- General Provisions, § 340.01 Words and phrases defined, § 340.01(5) “Bicycle” means every vehicle propelled by the feet acting upon pedals and having wheels any 2 of which are not less than 14 inches in diameter.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman wrote:
TyGuy wrote:

Why?

Our federal lawsuit contends that its nearly impossible to practically exercise your right to carry with these onerous unmarked, undefined school zones.

It was only a matter of time before a law-abiding citizen was ensnared by one.

My thoughts too. How can everyone at all times stay out of all the "school zones"? It is all but impossible to avoid them all. In some states the "GFSZ" applies to "Home schools" and people running small "Day Care" businesses in their homes. Imagine if you or your neighbor were home schooling. You could never have your firearms in your own home. And if the police knew of a "home school" somewhere around an open carrier they could stake it out and just wait for you to unknowingly enter the "GFSZ". Just got yourself a felony arrest for doing absolutely nothing illegal. Oh...except exercising your 2nd Amendment right.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Why is everyone jumping all over this guy for doing the same thing as the rest of us?

Wow, we should call this the lions den instead of a forum.

So now there is an OC fashion? You have to carry just a certain way? Only can carry a certain firearm? Can only wear certain clothes while OCing?

Hmmm. How fast we throw one of our own under the bus. Amazing, I am just glad to know that everyone here has my back out there.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Why is everyone jumping all over this guy for doing the same thing as the rest of us?

So now there is an OC fashion? You have to carry just a certain way? Only can carry a certain firearm? Can only wear certain clothes while OCing?

Hmmm. How fast we throw one of our own under the bus. Amazing, I am just glad to know that everyone here has my back out there.

I agree. We are all different and will never all think alike, act alike, look alike, etc....but we are all in this together and have to work together.

;)

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

rcawdor57 wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:

I agree. We are all different and will never all think alike, act alike, look alike, etc....but we are all in this together and have to work together.

;)
Yeah, I don't know RC, I am not sure I can support you. Your dog poops while you OC you must scare the poop out of him. <-----Sarcasm. :lol: