• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GRNC Alert 05-18-10: Charlotte Marriott Exposes NRA Conventioneers to Criminal Prosecution

senojkj

imported post

Grass Roots North Carolina, P.O. Box 10684, Raleigh, NC 27605
919-664-8565, http://www.grnc.org, GRNC Alert Hotline: (919) 562-4137

GRNC Alert 05-18-10:
Charlotte Marriott Exposes NRA Conventioneers to Criminal Prosecution

Grass Roots North Carolina Launches National Boycott

As up to 70,000 NRA supporters enjoyed the NRA's "Celebration of American Values" in Charlotte, North Carolina, those who stayed in or attended events at the Charlotte Marriott City Center were made inadvertent criminals by the hotel.

Sometime on Friday evening, as Grass Roots North Carolina held its "Gala for Gun Rights," hotel General Manager Jim Diehl instructed hotel personnel to post "no firearms" signs on hotel entrances. Under NC General Statute 14-415.11(c), carrying of firearms into places where a "conspicuous notice" banning firearms has been placed is punishable as a Class 2 misdemeanor, meaning that many of the hundreds of gun rights supporters staying at the hotel or attending the GRNC event were subject to fines and imprisonment.

For details, see the examiner.com article at: http://bit.ly/CLTMarriottPosts

IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED

CONTACT MARRIOTT IMMEDIATELY
* E-mail Charlotte Marriot City Center General Manager Jim Diehl at jim.diehl@marriott.com or fax him at (704) 358-6522 and let him know that until you receive an apology and a notification that postings have been removed, you and everyone you know will be avoiding the hotel.
* Call Marriott Corporate Communications at (301) 380-7770 and leave a message for Kathleen Matthews, Executive Vice President, Global Communications and Public Affairs, letting her know that Marriott will be held accountable for the actions of its hotel in Charlotte, whether or not the hotel is a franchisee.
* Contact Marriott Customer Care at https://www.marriott.com/suggest/suggest.mi or (888) 236-2427 and deliver the same message that you will not use any Marriott until the problem is resolved;
* If you are a Marriott shareholder, contact Investor Relations at: investorrelations@marriott.com and finally;

NOW FOR A BIT OF GOOD NEWS...

Welcome Back Piggly Wiggly Stores of Eastern NC

The following has been reported to us at GRNC:

This is to announce that recent communications with Mr. Allen Jackson, co-owner of 8 Piggly Wiggly Supermarkets located in Pinetops, Farmville, Grifton and 4 other Eastern North Carolina towns, have resulted in the removal of NO WEAPONS ALLOWED signs in all eight stores. The signs were placed to placate their insurance provider, not because of an incident or problem with any concealed permit holder. If new signs are posted, they will say "ILLEGAL WEAPONS PROHIBITED."

Mr. Jackson stated that law-abiding gun owners are WELCOME at Piggly Wiggly Supermarkets!

----------------------

You may find your NC representative by going here:
http://www.grnc.org/contact_reps.htm

You may write your federal congressman by going here:
http://www.house.gov/writerep/

-------------------

Support these PRO RKBA merchants who, as GRNC sponsors, are supporting your Second Amendment rights:

Hyatt Coin & Gun Shop, 3332 Wilkinson Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28208, 704-663-5656, http://www.hyattguns.com
Duncan Gun & Pawn, 414 Second St., North Wilkesboro, NC 28659, 336-667-6303, http://www.duncangun.com
Shooter's Express, 2 Caldwell Dr., Belmont, NC 28012, 800-358-GUNS, http://www.shootersexpress.com
The Aisle Pawn Shop, 216 N. Main St., Mooresville, NC 28115, 704-663-5656
Gunner's Alley, LLC, 203 N. Harrison Ave., Ste. 130, Cary, NC 27513, http://www.gunnersalley.com, 919-388-1991, contact: Ed Guerriero, ed@gunnersalley.com
C & E Gun Shows, 4225 Fortress Drive, Blacksburg, VA 24060; Phone 540-953-0016 or 888-715-0606; http://www.cegunshows.com/
Ryan & Nina Leonard, Down South Ammo, Home of "SOUTHERN THUNDER" Exploding Targets, http://downsouthammo.com/

RayBurton72

imported post

E-mail to Marriott sent

"I am a REALTOR, and a CRS (which has a partnership program with Marriott) I attend 3-4 conventions a year and have always tried to stay at a Marriott, but after the antics of the General manager at the Charlotte City Center Marriott this past weekend, I will never spend another penny of mine in your hotels unless you rectify his outrageous actions.

Jim Diehl had his staff scotch tape paper no weapons signs Friday (May 14) evening in the midst of a dinner event hosted by Grassroots NC (a gun rights organization of which I am also a member) and held in conjunction with the NRA convention).

The hotel was chosen, in part, because it did not bar lawful gun owners, who had obtained permits to carry concealed, from carrying the means to protect themselves.

The hotel intially even provided instructions on how and where to secure firearms prior to attending events where one could not carry.

That the manager would change this policy after taking law-abiding gun-owners' money is a slap in the face to every hard-working and honest person.

I for one know when I am unwelcome, and I will not darken your corporations doorstep until this has been adressed - firmly and PUBLICLY.

Dave Workman

imported post

Is Sacramento's Braziel SPD top cop front runner?

If one reads Wednesday’s Seattle Times, it appears that Sacramento Police Chief Rick Braziel may be the front runner....

....By now, a column written Tuesday by my colleague, Charlotte Gun Rights Examiner Paul Valone, has spread across cyberspace like the flash of a super nova; the rather disappointing tale of the Charlotte Marriott City Center hotel and how it essentially subjected untold numbers of guests to potential criminal prosecution with some tape and computer print-outs.

http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seattle-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m5d19-Is-Sacramentos-Braziel-SPD-top-cop-front-runner

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/2bts8ce

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
[font=""]Is Sacramento's Braziel SPD top cop front runner?

If one reads Wednesday’s Seattle Times, it appears that Sacramento Police Chief Rick Braziel may be the front runner...

What does that article about Sacramento Police Chief Rick Braziel have to do with the Charlotte Mariott situation? I clicked the link to the Seattle Times article, but I fail to see the connection. :?

Dave Workman

imported post

Ruger wrote:
Dave Workman wrote:
[font=""]Is Sacramento's Braziel SPD top cop front runner?

If one reads Wednesday’s Seattle Times, it appears that Sacramento Police Chief Rick Braziel may be the front runner...

What does that article about Sacramento Police Chief Rick Braziel have to do with the Charlotte Mariott situation? I clicked the link to the Seattle Times article, but I fail to see the connection. :?

Well, DUH... you didn't read down far enough, Ruger. It's there. Under the subhead.

....By now, a column written Tuesday by my colleague, Charlotte Gun Rights Examiner Paul Valone, has spread across cyberspace like the flash of a super nova; the rather disappointing tale of the Charlotte Marriott City Center hotel and how it essentially subjected untold numbers of guests to potential criminal prosecution with some tape and computer print-outs.

;):D

Ruger

imported post

I read the rest of it. The rest was applicable. Just not the part in large, bold letters & the accompanying link ;)

You have a link to the Seattle Times. I clicked that link. Nothing in the article is applicable to the discussion. I did find it to be quite interesting though :D

Dave Workman

imported post

Ruger wrote:
I read the rest of it. The rest was applicable. Just not the part in large, bold letters & the accompanying link ;)

You have a link to the Seattle Times. I clicked that link. Nothing in the article is applicable to the discussion. I did find it to be quite interesting though :D

Well, picky, picky, picky....

Ruger

imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
Ruger wrote:

Well, picky, picky, picky....

Yeah... I guess :p

RayBurton72

imported post

You gotta love when corporate responds to someting that proves they never bothered to look into the matter -

Marriott's response to my email:

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for contacting Marriott. We appreciate the opportunity to provide you with information.

We would like to thank Grass Roots North Carolina/Forum for Firearms Education forits businessat the Charlotte Marriott City Center hotel. During the group's stay, there was some confusion regarding the hotel's position on the carrying of firearms by the public. It has been the hotel's long-standing policy to not allow firearms by the public on the premises. In accordance with applicable law, this policy is posted in several locations around the hotel. The permanent notice at the hotel's entrance had been removed during a recent renovation and was replaced with temporary signage. This temporary posting was removed for a brief period of time, which may have led to guest uncertainty. We sincerely regret and apologize for any confusion or inconvenience this may have caused.

[size=[font="Times New Roman"][/font]]
Marriott’s policy is to comply with all applicable laws and ordinances. We are a hospitality companythat providespublic accommodationsand space for events and functions. We do this without regard to the lawful purpose or views of any specific group or organization. As always, the safety and security of our guests and associates is a top priority.

Regards,

Marriott Customer Care

This communication contains information from Marriott International, Inc. that may be confidential. Except for personal use by the intended recipient, or as expressly authorized by the sender, any person who receives this information is prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, and/or using it. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately delete it and all copies, and promptly notify the sender. Nothing in this communication is intended to operate as an electronic signature under applicable law.

If this has been a long-standing policy, why didn't the GM say so when challenged about it

And why haven't I seen any postings the in the past three years when I ahve stayed there?

oh well, there are other hotels out there.

BulMoose

imported post

I just sent the following inquiry to Marriott via their website, lets see how they reply.

==========================================

I had stayed at that Marriott in Charlotte during the NRA Annual Meeting and I can legally carry a concealed weapon in North Carolina.

Thursday morning I called Chad Callahan, Marriott's Corporate VP of Loss Prevention, regarding Marriott’s firearms policy, to inquire if it had changed. He confirmed that their policy had not changed, and Marriott's policy was to follow the laws of the jurisdiction in which the hotel is located. I had also spoke with Chad regarding the lack of safes in every guest room.

I asked Chad for a copy of the firearms policy to give to the hotel’s general manager when I got there, since I was hearing conflicting information from the hotel’s staff when I called regarding the availability of in-room safes.

Chad told me he could not provide me the policy in writing but he would be calling the property to remid them of the policy.

The hotel’s staff members were well aware that I was going to have a firearm with me. In fact they upgradeded me to of their 12 suites, since only the suites have in-room with safes.

I checked in on Friday around noon, and there were no signs posted. When I returned from the NRA event at the TWC Arena the signs were posted.

Here is my dilemma, there is now a sign stating no weapons, and my pistol is up in my room in the safe.

I went to the front desk and asked for the general manager, and was told he was gone for the weekend. I then asked for the manager on duty.

I spoke with Taylor, the manager on duty, and informed him that the posting of the sign is in direct violation of Marriott’s corporate policy regarding firearms. I told him that I had reconfirmed that policy with Chad Callahan the previous day, before heading down to the NRA annual meeting.

The manager on duty told me he was going to call the general manager and corporate and look in to it.

The signs were still posted on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, in direct violation of Marriott’s corporate firearms policy.

I am a Lifetime Platinum Elite with Marriott. The reason Marriott has earned almost all of my hotel business over the years is because of their firearms policy.

This hotel is a corporate owned; Host Marriott, corporate run, Marriott International location. What has happened is someone at this hotel, who is a corporate employee of Marriott, took it upon themselves to post signs in direct violation of Marriott’s corporate policies.

Please help me understand how the general manager, of a corporate owned and operated Marriott is not familiar with corporate policies. Especially since Jim Deihl is also the regional executive the oversees the other Mariott properties in the region.

Thanks you for taking the time to reply to my inquiry.

T

TWG2A

imported post

I was the Secretary for the Washington State Chapter of the Sons Of Liberty Riders. Until today.

They're planning a ride this weekend to AZ in support of the illegal alien bill and are planning to stay at the Marriot. I posted the information about this boycott and copies of the letter and follow-up docs., but they (Sons Of Liberty Riders NATIONAL team) responded by telling me they would be staying at the Marriot anyway.

I have discontinued my participation in this group. I will not support those who do not support our second amendment rights. I'm very surprised they've chosen to go against a second amendment issue, but as the great Benjamin Franklin said.....

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."

IN LIBERTY

Arkyhog

imported post

I know that wasdifficult for you to make that choice, but actually an easy decision. You are the same as me; if it is against my convictions about the constitution and the Second Amendment, I won't do it.

I'm sorry those guys can't see the light. You are a great American.