• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Permit & Gun Returned Today & Full Incident Details

ManInBlack

imported post

I'm glad you got your gun and permit back, but this story is screwed up on sooooo many levels.

The thing I don't understand is why you had to produce your permit to get your pistol back! You don't need a CC permit to possess a firearm; merely to conceal it.

I'm glad that you stood up for your rights. Even though you paid a price, hopefully it will make the cops think twice before trying to enforce what they wish the law could be instead of what it is.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Hate to ruin a day of celebration, but you do have a bullet casing out there in the
hands of lt. lack of grey matter with your fingerprints on it.

I have now wiped down all my loaded rounds and mags. Added gloves always when
loading carry mags. You just can't trust anyone anymore.

10mikemike

imported post

I'm glad to hear you got your firearm back Dianosis.Were you not given areceipt when your property was taken from you? (If you got one I missed it.) I think you would have been within your rights to have ask for one with your guns serial # on it, number of rounds, magazines, etc... You were lucky that you did not have any problem showing proof of ownership in order to get you gun back.I'm not sure I could prove ownership of all of my firearms as easy asyou did as I have owned some of them for years and this could cause a problem.

and yes I'd sue.

slowfiveoh

imported post

This is appalling.

Time to put the "good 'ol boys" back in their place.

Sir, I highly suggest you sue. I know you did not ask for my suggestion, but these thugs will do this repeatedly until you, or some other upstanding citizen, makes it too utterly painful for them to even think of doing.

MK

imported post

eye95 wrote:
Did they fire your pistol while they had it in custody? Is that why one bullet is missing?
Maybe getting a spent casing and a slug to compare with those from crime scenes or to enter into a forensic database?

Eeyore

imported post

MK wrote:
eye95 wrote:
Did they fire your pistol while they had it in custody? Is that why one bullet is missing?
Maybe getting a spent casing and a slug to compare with those from crime scenes or to enter into a forensic database?
IANAL, but that sounds like a clear-cut 4A violation to me. :X What probable cause did they have?

eye95

imported post

Eeyore wrote:
MK wrote:
eye95 wrote:
IANAL, but that sounds like a clear-cut 4A violation to me. :X What probable cause did they have?
Being that the question was not answered, I don't know that this is a 4A violation. I just have a feeling that the missing bullet was fired to produce a casing and a slug.

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

Glad you got your permit and pistol back. It was about time. Why did you need a CC permit to get the weapon back? You don't need it to own or carry a weapon.

Sorry you went through this and hope things turn out better for you. Hopefully the police will learn a lesson.

Dianosis

imported post

eye95 wrote:
If they did they aren't admitting it. I called the lady that returned my property and she said she did not know why there would be one missing unless it was lost or something, and she would do a report saying I said one was missing. I told her I was uncomfortable with one of my bullets missing, floating around somewhere, and I wanted it documented, and she said I don't blame you.

slowfiveoh

imported post

They fired off a single round for ballistics purposes, and to try to match it against the ballistics database. They were hoping your rounds rifling fingerprint would match unsolved cases.

I would bet precious body parts that this is what happened.

M

McX

imported post

jeez, and how much did that test cost the taxpayers on a law abiding citizen's gun?

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

make sure you get that documented and keep a copy of it. When the police take possession of your property it is their responsibility to keep up with it. ALL of it.

Don't they need a reason to test your weapon? "Holding" it isn't a free ballistic test for them is it? Do they need a reason or can they go around taking peoples weapons and testing them to find out if it was used in a crime?

I would still bet they did it. How do you "lose" a round from the magazine? I haven't had that problem yet!

eye95

imported post

Dianosis wrote:
eye95 wrote:
If they did they aren't admitting it. I called the lady that returned my property and she said she did not know why there would be one missing unless it was lost or something, and she would do a report saying I said one was missing. I told her I was uncomfortable with one of my bullets missing, floating around somewhere, and I wanted it documented, and she said I don't blame you.
I think that you ought to ask specifically, in writing, whether they fired your pistol.

cowboy67

imported post

It may be worth the money to have your attorney write another letter to the PD asking for the bullet back and or to tell you where it went.

45 Guy

imported post

Yes, they did test fire and are holding the bullet and casing. This is SOP for many policedepartments. You might push them and see if they will admit to it.

Now you need tostop the possible use of this.

1) Fire 300 or 400 rounds of jacked ammo through your gun.

2) Clean and brush your barrel several times with a stainless steelor bronze brush.

3) Use a larger brush to clean the chamber, rotating it several times.

4) Using a fineemery (600) paper polish the breach face.

5) Change extractor, firing pen and mag.

They will have high old time trying to match this gun to any thing. I was once a cop and I know too much about them. Do not trust them.