• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UN treaty cited in SC decision

eye95

imported post

Daddyo wrote:
For those who don't think International treaties will affect our laws...

http://www.hslda.org/docs/media/2010/201005180.asp

Apparently the UN Rights of the Child treaty was cited in the majority opinion in the recent Supreme Court case regarding life sentences for juveniles. Whether you agree with the decision or not, this sets a dangerous precedent.
Is that a treaty that the president has signed and the Senate has ratified? If it is, then it is part of the law of the land per the Constitution and is an apt citation for the SCOTUS.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/09pdf/08-7412.pdf

Paragraph III D, page 30

We also note, as petitioner and his amici em-phasize, that Article 37(a) of the United Nations Conven-tion on the Rights of the Child, Nov. 20, 1989, 1577 U. N. T. S. 3 (entered into force Sept. 2, 1990), ratified by every nation except the United States and Somalia,
Read, think more. Write, prate less.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Is this OT?

What does it have to do with OC?

I mean, if that other thread that DID have more to do with OC than this one was locked for NOT being OT, why isn't this one also locked?

Apply the OT rule for everyone, yes?

Where is M and G -- 2 OT police -- when you need them?

-- John D.