• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sig P220 or the new XDM 45 ACP?

quixand

imported post

The XDm is roughly $400 cheaper.

Supposed to launch the end of this month.

Thoughts?

I like the XDm because it is 13 + 1.
The Sig is 7 + 1? I think?

t33j

imported post

For an every day carry: Sig

Because my Sig has been my most reliable gun hands down (Big plus for the Sig. The XDm is as of yet unproven - at least for me)
There is no weight benefit in carrying the XDm (Could have swung the scale in favor of the XDm)
I'd carry at least 1 spare mag either way, and I'd be comfortable with 17 rounds (p220 mag holds 8. Either works)

That's just me.

quixand

imported post

I agree on the reliability of the Sig.

But from what I am reading, XD's and their XDm counterparts are just as reliable, at half the cost.
I like the bigger clip on the XDm. 14 > 8

So I'm pretty torn. =(

Tazman2

imported post

Seeing that the newer Sigs have gone down in Quality I'd avoid them. Go to a certain "Sig" "Forum" and you'll find many complaints even with $1,000+ Sigs!

PS: I have a older P228 (my 1st pistol!) so I'm not a anti Sig guy! =)

quixand

imported post

Really. I hadn't heard any such thing.

Could you PM me where you're hearing this about Sigs?

Michigander

imported post

I carry a P220, and have been doing so for about 3 years now. One of my best friends, who posts here as Evil Creamsicle carries an XD 45.

P220's are great guns. They are a Ferrari of carry guns. They also give you the performance of a custom 1911 for a smaller price tag. They shoot and reload very smoothly. I've always said I carry it because Sig doesn't make a double stack 10mm.

However, there is one very serious problem, and that is the capacity. The 7 or 8+1 situation is not good. Furthermore, contrary to popular belief, I have found that Mec Gar P220 mag springs WILL wear out from being left loaded to 8 rounds for years on end, so it is realistically a 7+1 gun in my opinion.

Compared to the next gun I plan on buying, a Robar converted G20, a P220 is a slick and fancy gun, but the capacity in my opinion is simply unacceptable. For that reason, I suggest the XD instead.:uhoh: They are very reliable guns with a much better grip angle than a stock Glock. They also can be modified to have reasonably nice triggers.

daddy4count

imported post

I have a bit of experience with both...

Sig is an amazing brand. You really cannot go wrong.

That being said, the XD line is fairly impressive too.

I no longer own any Sig's, but I still carry an XD-45 tactical (5") and I couldn't be happier with it. It is my second XD, the first was a compact 45 which I soon upgraded to the full size model.

If price is a factor you will not be disappointed by the Springfield.

I personally found that the Sig tended to be more finicky when it came to eating ammunition.

Both are reliable, accurate, etc.

I would say get yourself to a gun store and lay your hands on both... see which one feels better to you. Break them down, see what it will take to clean and oil it on a regular basis.

Look at holsters and magazines, etc... you may find that the selection for the Sig is better... if that is a concern.

zoom6zoom

imported post

I own the 220 DA/SA (non-rail) and recently got the chance to shoot the XD. Even if they were the same price, it would be no contest for me. I didn't think the trigger feel of the XD was anywhere as nice as the SIG, and the recoil of the XD was much snappier and took longer to get back on target.

Everyone I've let shoot my 220 has been putting them in the black on the first shot.

Current mags for the 220 are eight round. None of my SIGs (.40, .357 and .45) care what I feed them.

45acpForMe

imported post

I am a sig fan so about all I could say bad is the capacity of 8 in the magazines. Sigs are slim because of their single stack magazines though which make carry very comfortable.

I was waiting for the .45acp version of the XDm to see what capacity they could fit into it. Unfortunately or fortunately (depending on how you look at it) they decided to keep the capacity at 13+1 like the XD. So there isn't much reason to run out and get one.

I shot a friends 9mm XD and the one thing I did NOT like about it was the backstrap safety. I would find myself pulling the trigger and nothing moving because I didn't have the webbing between my thumb and forefinger tight enough against that safety. It may be a practice thingy but when I shoot a gun I want it to go bang everytime without me having to readjust the grip. I may get the XDm but haven't decided yet.

The two choices are both good ones so you can't go wrong UNLESS you don't shoot both first. After shooting each, one will probably jump out in the lead for your liking. While I would recommend the SIG I understand the capacity issue and have complimented my collection with a Para Big Hawg (14+1 & 15+1 45acp) and a H&K USP 12+1. You can own more than one so the other option is just to buy both! :celebrate

Michigun

imported post

Anyone have a guess as to what the price is going to be on the new XDm .45?

quixand

imported post

A lot of interesting things to think about here guys, many thanks. I'm going to wait till the XDm .45 comes out, then try em both out before making my decision.

Anyone know what the street date is?

daddy4count

imported post

I've seen nothing official, but a local shop told me they expect the first few to hit their dock in late July... which on a Springfield XD calendar means October

:D

daddy4count

imported post

The Sig is a beautiful machine. They really know how to put together a great pistol.

If you buy one now, you could probably sell or trade it for an XDm later... considering the substantially higher cost of the Sig.

Somehow I doubt that you will want to part with it after owning it for a while...

eyesopened

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
I shot a friends 9mm XD and the one thing I did NOT like about it was the backstrap safety. I would find myself pulling the trigger and nothing moving because I didn't have the webbing between my thumb and forefinger tight enough against that safety. It may be a practice thingy but when I shoot a gun I want it to go bang everytime without me having to readjust the grip. I may get the XDm but haven't decided yet.
Wow that's interesting? I have small hands and never had an issue activating the grip safety.

I also shoot 1911s so it's not much of a difference.

daddy4count

imported post

I have fairly small hands too... never an issue

That safety is right at the crux of the grip, without your hand firmly against that position you loose half of your leverage and grip on the weapon and it probably cants upward when you fire...

When it did go off... did it feel like it wanted to jump out of your hand?

That safety lever is a feature that has been employed for almost 100 years on the 1911 frame pistol... quite successfully.

45acpForMe

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
45acpForMe wrote:
Wow that's interesting?  I have small hands and never had an issue activating the grip safety.

I also shoot 1911s so it's not much of a difference.

Well the difference may be that I have large hands (not huge though) and I can firmly grasp the grip without putting my thumb/forefinger webbing on that safety.

The XD grip safety is very different than a 1911! The 1911 safety is lower down on the grip so you have to push it in while grabbing the gun. The XD safety is high up top of the grip. I own three 1911 and never had a problem or complaint about their safeties.

Now take all that with a grain of salt because I was shooting a friends gun and used whatever backstrap he chose and didn't get to try others. I assume if the grip backstrap was of my choosing the safety pressing might be alleviated. So my recommendation is to shoot one before buying. Even shoot the model of the Sig you are considering since they have different weights. For example I shot my stainless P220 elite for a long while and picked up a P220 Equinox (which has a polymer frame) it flipped up alot more than my all steel gun so I had to get used to it.