• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

U.N. ban

Pace

imported post

Good point. We've allowed Bush to basically curtail our rights, now Obama can do anything.

Still rather focus on real issues.

colorado slick

imported post

Pace wrote:
Good point. We've allowed Bush to basically curtail our rights, now Obama can do anything.

Still rather focus on real issues.

Obama probably knows by now that he doesn't stand a prayer of a chance getting relected so, he is going to do as much damage as he can while he can

Those damned Clintons have been nothing but a pain in the backside since they hit Washington

Colorado

M

McX

imported post

saw the thread titile, and had to stop, un ban=back door ban. gotta watch those who use the back door!:uhoh:

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dear United Nations:

I'm not quite sure how to put this, so I'll simply say it: Are you folks out of your minds? I do apologize! It's just that I cannot think of a nicer way to address the fact that this is a VERY bad idea.

Are you so naieve to believe that disarmament is an effective solution to the misuse of arms? Are you not aware that ALL such attempts wind up disarming law-abiding citizens while the law-breaking criminals wind up obtaining, and using, illegal firearms anyhow?

Historically, the widespread possession of firearms among a general populace is the most effective way of reducing crime. Switzerland is a prime example of this. America's relaxation of gun control over the last twenty years and the resulting massive reduction in crime is another prime example. The United Kingdom's massive increase in gun control and the resulting massive increase in crime are prime examples of what NOT to do.

An armed society is a polite society. This works because 90% to 95% of society are not law-breakers! It's the 5% to 20% who ARE law-breakers who commit 100% of the crimes. When you either arm everyone (Switzerland) or at least allow everyone to be armed if they so choose (U.S.), the result is a sharp drop in crime. Criminals aren't stupid - if they have reasonable belief that committing a crime may very well result in Joe Citizen responding with deadly force, they will usually re-think their line of "work."

I am an historian, and served honorably as an officer in the U.S. Air Force for more than 20 years. I know what I'm talking about, and I am always armed, not because I think anything is going to happen today, but knowing full well the odds of something happening in the next 10,000 days are strong. I am not armed because I'm a "gun nut." I don't belong to the NRA or other pro-gun group. I am armed because I consider my personal responsibility to protect myself and those around me against illegal violence.

I am very glad I live in both a country and a state where I can freely exercise this right! But it's not just a right - it's a responsibility, even a duty.

I am utterly disgusted with the general anti-gun mentality of the United Nations. It's awash in wishful thinking, totally ignores volumes of history attesting to the fact this is a VERY bad idea, and seeks to undermine a solution which has worked to keep the peace for several hundred thousand years: Armament, education, and peaceful cooperation among the various circles of society.

I ask you again: Are folks out of your minds?

As you're looking into "the feasibility, scope and draft parameters for a comprehensive, legally binding instrument establishing common international standards for the import, export and transfer of convention arms," PLEASE keep in mind the fact that limiting the possession of weapons by honest, law-abiding citizens DOES NOT WORK!

I sincerely hope and pray my country's government is NEVER so idiotically stupid to sign off on your ridiculous treaty (here: http://www.un.org/disarmament/convarms/ArmsTradeTreaty/html/ATT.shtml)

If ever they do, I will uphold my solemnly sworn oath of office to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic."

I will do so TO THE DEATH, should that ever prove necessary.

Please reconsider this abominable plan of yours.

Good day, gentleman.

colorado slick

imported post

since9 wrote:
Dear United Nations:

I'm not quite sure how to put this, so I'll simply say it: Are you folks out of your minds? I do apologize! It's just that I cannot think of a nicer way to address the fact that this is a VERY bad idea.

Are you so naieve to believe that disarmament is an effective solution to the misuse of arms? Are you not aware that ALL such attempts wind up disarming law-abiding citizens while the law-breaking criminals wind up obtaining, and using, illegal firearms anyhow?

Historically, the widespread possession of firearms among a general populace is the most effective way of reducing crime. Switzerland is a prime example of this. America's relaxation of gun control over the last twenty years and the resulting massive reduction in crime is another prime example. The United Kingdom's massive increase in gun control and the resulting massive increase in crime are prime examples of what NOT to do.

An armed society is a polite society. This works because 90% to 95% of society are not law-breakers! It's the 5% to 20% who ARE law-breakers who commit 100% of the crimes. When you either arm everyone (Switzerland) or at least allow everyone to be armed if they so choose (U.S.), the result is a sharp drop in crime. Criminals aren't stupid - if they have reasonable belief that committing a crime may very well result in Joe Citizen responding with deadly force, they will usually re-think their line of "work."

I am an historian, and served honorably as an officer in the U.S. Air Force for more than 20 years. I know what I'm talking about, and I am always armed, not because I think anything is going to happen today, but knowing full well the odds of something happening in the next 10,000 days are strong. I am not armed because I'm a "gun nut." I don't belong to the NRA or other pro-gun group. I am armed because I consider my personal responsibility to protect myself and those around me against illegal violence.

I am very glad I live in both a country and a state where I can freely exercise this right! But it's not just a right - it's a responsibility, even a duty.

I am utterly disgusted with the general anti-gun mentality of the United Nations. It's awash in wishful thinking, totally ignores volumes of history attesting to the fact this is a VERY bad idea, and seeks to undermine a solution which has worked to keep the peace for several hundred thousand years: Armament, education, and peaceful cooperation among the various circles of society.

As you're looking into "the feasibility, scope and draft parameters for a comprehensive, legally binding instrument establishing common international standards for the import, export and transfer of convention arms," PLEASE keep in mind the fact that limiting the possession of weapons by honest, law-abiding citizens DOES NOT WORK!

I sincerely hope and pray my country's government is NEVER so idiotically stupid to sign off on your ridiculous treaty (here: http://www.un.org/disarmament/convarms/ArmsTradeTreaty/html/ATT.shtml)

If ever they do, I will uphold my solemnly sworn oath of office to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic."

Good day, gentleman.

Since9, you are right on the mark. Neither am I a "gun nut" but I will not give up my guns. The way things are in the west now: without our shooterswe become setting ducks for criminals.

Since the U.S. is not a member of the U.N. the senate would have to adopt and ratfy that ban and I think most of our senaters are smart enough to know that if they would adopt and ratify they would find themselves inthe unemployment line.

I too am and old veteran of both the Air Force and the Army. Guns have been a part of my life since I grew big enough to carry one and if such a "gun grab" would occurre, I would hide mine in a cave up in the mountains before i would turn them over to be cut up and melted down. Good post my friend. Avery good post.

Colorado Slick

colorado slick

imported post

colorado slick wrote:
since9 wrote:
Dear United Nations:

Good day, gentleman.

Since9, you are right on the mark. Neither am I a "gun nut" but I will not give up my guns. The way things are in the west now: without our shooterswe become setting ducks for criminals.

Since the U.S. is not a member of the U.N. the senate would have to adopt and ratfy that ban and I think most of our senaters are smart enough to know that if they would adopt and ratify they would find themselves inthe unemployment line.

I too am and old veteran of both the Air Force and the Army. Guns have been a part of my life since I grew big enough to carry one and if such a "gun grab" would occurre, I would hide mine in a cave up in the mountains before i would turn them over to be cut up and melted down. Good post my friend. Avery good post.

Colorado Slick

Folks, our problem now is really is not the U.N. It is Obama and Clinton.

Obama has done nothing but lie to us and Hilary is Hilary. We all know what she is. Both of them want to foster their wants on the entire world. How Obamma got elected is still a huge puzzle to me.

Colorado Slick

S

scubabeme

imported post

I figure/agree that actual ratification of this has a remote chance at best--especially given that congress is looking at a BIG makeover this fall. But, it's a good example of how the anti's will try almost anything, the sneakier the better it seems. I heard on http://armedamericanradio.org --sorry no citations yet--that Bloomberg and Daley are going to the World Court to file suit against arms/ammunition manufacturers. As it was said there, talk about un-/anti-AMERICAN!!! Those two NEED to lose their jobs!!!!!

Remain vigilant to all such tactics!!!

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
There's no UN Small Arms Treaty out there to read...

Yes there is, but it's called the Arms Trade Treaty, not the Small Arms Treaty:

http://www.un.org/disarmament/convarms/ArmsTradeTreaty/html/ATT-BackgroundDocuments.shtml

And if you don't think it doesn't involve small arms, or that the UN isn't serious about taking away your firearms, check out this nifty little statue outside the UN Secretariat in New York:

http://www.iansa.org/un/index.htm

Colorado Slick: Thanks!

Scubabeme: You're absolutely correct. Obama will never come out with U.S. Legislation which directly restricts our right to keep and bear arms, as people would be up in arms about it if he tried. Instead, he will use a back-door approach to create a situation where U.S. authority is partially subverted to international authority. It may be through an organization such as the U.N., or it may be through international treaty between cooperative nations. But just as assurredly as he has repeatedly attempted to usurp our states' authority as reserved to the states by our Constitution, he will continue to push his his centralist, all-powerful goal for the U.S. government. We all know from the history books the first step in that process is to "disarm the public."

cscitney87

imported post

Ugh.. I guess there's just no convincing you guys otherwise. Let the cards fall where they may.

How long guys? How long do we have? Do I come back in 3 months and say "I told you so" or do I come back in 3 weeks? 1 year or 4 years?

When can I come back here and say... "Oh hey.. nothing has changed due to a UN Small Arms Treaty... BURNED!" :D:D

cscitney87

imported post

And duh.. it's all to obvious to my backers and supporters..

I've asked for clear-cut evidence in text. All you have done is post websites and links. Look at all the hard work I put into my first few posts.. You owe it to me to do the same. Respect my work and give me something respectable to read.

What exactly am I to be afraid of?

Are they taking away guns? Stopping the shipments of ammo? No sale of ammo? no sale of guns? No private sales? No business sales only? Closing gun shows? Closing gun shops? Banning all accessories?

What? Exactly what?

Yeah you don't know.. because there's nothing to say. You can post links and websites all day but that doesn't change the fact that there's nothing to be afraid of. No text no laws no bills nothing. The UN can draft a million Gun Laws and arms treaties all day for the rest of existence..

Until you can point out what there is to be scared of.. I'm not following.

I promise you all.. life will go on as usual- small arms treaty or not.

So I propose my question one more time.. and this time I expect an answer not a link.

What are we to be afraid of? What are you so scared of? Is it confiscation or the ban of sale? Is it a lack of ammo? No pistols or rifles and pistols both??

Please... it's for our safety. It's for my families safety. For your sake for my sake.. What do I need to be afraid of? How should I prepare for this UN Small Arms Treaty?

Thanks I appreciate it.

Gunslinger

imported post

There are 59 pro gun votes in the Senate with Brown. This has zero chance of being ratified--and it must be by the US Senate like any other treaty. During an election year, who in their right mind would think all of a sudden anti-gun treaties would stand a chance? The left has not even offered a bite at anti-gun legislation, and after McDonald next month the 2A will be the law of the land in broad terms.

Dynamite Rabbit

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
And duh.. it's all to obvious to my backers and supporters.. 

I've asked for clear-cut evidence in text.  All you have done is post websites and links.  Look at all the hard work I put into my first few posts.. You owe it to me to do the same.  Respect my work and give me something respectable to read.

What exactly am I to be afraid of?

Are they taking away guns?  Stopping the shipments of ammo?  No sale of ammo?  no sale of guns?  No private sales?  No business sales only?  Closing gun shows?  Closing gun shops?   Banning all accessories?

What?  Exactly what?

Yeah you don't know.. because there's nothing to say.  You can post links and websites all day but that doesn't change the fact that there's nothing to be afraid of.  No text no laws no bills nothing.  The UN can draft a million Gun Laws and arms treaties all day for the rest of existence.. 

Until you can point out what there is to be scared of.. I'm not following.

I promise you all..  life will go on as usual- small arms treaty or not.

So I propose my question one more time.. and this time I expect an answer not a link.

What are we to be afraid of?  What are you so scared of?  Is it confiscation or the ban of sale?  Is it a lack of ammo?  No pistols or rifles and pistols both?? 

Please... it's for our safety.  It's for my families safety.  For your sake for my sake.. What do I need to be afraid of?  How should I prepare for this UN Small Arms Treaty?

Thanks I appreciate it.

Why do you have to be so melodramatic and condescending all the time?

No one is saying you should be scared of anything. Are you saying this shouldn't be discussed? It's real, and it's out there. You might also check out the CIFTA treaty I linked to earlier -- it's been signed (by Clinton). Probably won't be ratified anytime soon, but shouldn't we at least be aware of these things?

The current administration has stated that they're willing to enter into negotiations regarding the U.N. treaty (previous administrations have refused to negotiate). This is a step in the wrong direction -- why not talk about it?

cscitney87

imported post

We can talk until we're blue in the face. Nothing is going to change. It's a discussion about the UN Small Arms Treaty and what it means to Americans. Americans, our members, commented that certain rights will be eliminated via back doors by international government. But that's okay you can read and follow the thread perfectly well. You already knew that other people- not me- brought up the fact that Rights will be Taken Away and that there are aspects of the treaty to be feared.

But that's okay.. you know how to read.

Anyway if you want to contribute, anything of value, please proceed to point out What and When and Where.

Don't worry.. I'll wait......

Anything else is Fear Mongering. We don't need a Conspiracy Theorists' views on international treaties to muddle up our Factually Based open carry web forum for Colorado.

cscitney87

imported post

Dynamite Rabbit wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:

Are you saying this shouldn't be discussed? It's real, and it's out there. You might also check out the CIFTA treaty I linked to earlier -- it's been signed (by Clinton). Probably won't be ratified anytime soon, but shouldn't we at least be aware of these things?

So... there's nothing to worry about then? Nothing at all.:lol::lol:

SlackwareRobert

imported post

I worry Reed will shove it in the "emergency" spending bill and those
greedy charge aholics will vote for anything that raises the debt.

Yes the treaty may not stop the sale of guns, but it probably will stop the
sale of guns I want. Stop private sales, and worst of all ban everything
that can repel anti tinfoil hat weapons.

What is there to worry about?
The ice caps melting and flooding the countries when BHO, and Pelosi get the
gun grab they will be panting and gasping in one long multi-orgasmic heat wave.:(

Then the worst fear: My goat being violated by those blue helmet savages.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
But that's okay.. you know how to read.

Anyway if you want to contribute, anything of value, please proceed to point out What and When and Where.

Do you? The links I posted were to the treaty documentation on the United Nations website, not some conspiracy nut's website.

By the by, linking to material on the Internet is ok. Copying and posting more than small snippets of that info usually constitutes a copyright violation, whether or not you find a copyright notice, which is not a requirement for copyright to exist. The only requirement is that it's the creator's original work, and that he or she has posted it publically.

^^^ This is now copyrighted under U.S. Federal Law. <--- So's this.

cscitney87

imported post

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/may/27/the-un-gun-grabber/

Bwahahaha a new article from Washington Times on the UN Small Arms Treaty. This article is so poorly written and very poorly researched.

Basically stating Obama now has a way to take privately owned guns hahahahaa. As stated here a million times... Our congress must approve the codified treaty by a large margin- basically impossible. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand nobody here is going to volunteer their weapons anyway.

Just thought I would post the most recent mainstream media article. Commence laughter now :lol::lol::lol:

cscitney87

imported post

Reid v. Covert

Reid v. Covert, 354 U.S. 1 (1957), is a landmark case in which the United States Supreme Court ruled that the Constitution supersedes international treaties

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
Reid v. Covert

Reid v. Covert, 354 U.S. 1 (1957), is a landmark case in which the United States Supreme Court ruled that the Constitution supersedes international treaties
Don't sully the hysterical paranoia with facts, please.