• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reasons to Open Carry

follker

imported post

Over at uscca I posed a question.

Why I should NOT open carry.

I am posting here why I should.

Can you guys give me reasons I should open carry? I there reasons to open carry vs CC?

J

[edit]

you can tell me why you guys choose to oc vs cc as well

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

To deter crime against me. While I often times wonder if this will be the case as 99.9% of the people around me when I am in public do not see my firearm. However, I believe criminals are looking for an easy target and will see it and will leave.

To carry a larger caliber, and a higher capacity firearm.

So that I do not have to dress around my firearm anymore.

To come out of the closet and be a decent, respectful, honorable representative for firearms owners and debunk the myth of the media and left that guns are bad.

(There are many more reasons that I open carry and have been stated by many before me, but these are the main reasons I OC)

69Charger

imported post

For me it is comfort. I carry a full size 1911 and it has been IWB at 3:30 for quite a few years and my ars is tired of it. OWB, open carry, ends up being Conceal carry most of the time here in Warshington anyhoo.
Open Carry is my summer, warm weather thang.
Dats just me.:)
Dave

OOPSYDOODLE
Hows about its my warm worm weather thang.

Bill45

imported post

69Charger wrote:
For me it is comfort. I carry a full size 1911 and it has been IWB at 3:30 for quite a few years and my ars is tired of it. OWB, open carry, ends up being Conceal carry most of the time here in Warshington anyhoo.
Open Carry is my summer, worm weather thang.
Dats just me.:)
Dave

Worm weather?? Is thatthe seasonwhen the rain comes down so hard it drives the worms out of the earth onto the, relatively, dryer pavement?

o2ryan

imported post

I echo most of the responses already made. I CC most of the time for economic reasons (translate...I would likely loose my job if I didn't).

When I OC it is mostly for the comfort, but also as an expression of our freedom and as an opportunity to impact the perception of the general public on gun owners (positively I hope).

Snarly

Aryk45XD

imported post

First, I would like to state that I finally got my CPL yesterday. I feel so much better leaving my XD alone before and after getting in my truck. I have made the choice to primarily OC when I am able to.

Comfort is a huge plus. I just got my Crossbreed and while it is comfortable, it's atill a pain in the arse.

To deter crime against me and mine. I may have already judging by experiences and observations.

To stand up proudly for my rights and make firearms regular again. Amazing conversations with good people. (BGs tend not to carry like this and stay away from headstrong legally armed citizens. Unfortunately I think future ex-wives do too. Maybe the wrong ones)

It just feels better to me as a whole and provides me comfort mentally, physically, and spirtually.

Trigger Dr

imported post

All of the above and...I am too young to die and too old to take an ass whuppin

Aryk45XD

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
Damn! I forgot that one. True though, I can't take or give it like I used to. There are too many crazys out there with weapons or friends that have no problem taking you out.

Tawnos

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
In learning to fight, I've learned how hard it is, and that it's guaranteed to be easier to avoid the fight to begin with than to ever have it start. Open carry makes that chance better, concealed doesn't.

Kolat

imported post

I look at it this way. Criminals are like lions in africa, they are looking for the easiest meal. If I CC then they don't know that I can defend myself so they are more likely to assault me/prey upon me so therefore by open carrying and them knowing that I can fight back then I am decreasing the odds of me actually needing to use my gun.

T

Batousaii

imported post

Greetings,

- Well, first I’ll say I like Gogo's, Trigger'sand other member’s points, all very good, some even gave me a chuckle :lol:

- Some personal perspectives, and coming from a guy who was CC for many years before discovering, and now prefers OC (though I still do both depending).

My reasons to OC more than CC.

1[suP]st[/suP] : Personal protection and protection of those I care to keep safe.

2[suP]nd[/suP] : To simply be myself, and do what fits my personality, interest and style.

3[suP]rd[/suP] : To break the usual stereo type of a common gun owner, raise basic awareness with a positive image.

Understand first that OC should not be presented as a form of general intimidation. This would be contradictory to the whole concept of normalizing Open Carry, being a good citizen, neighbor, Samaritan, etc. One should embrace the concept of generating a neutralized, normal, everyday “good guy” image, and thus allow people around you to establish a positive impressing of gun owners in general. We as gun owners have endured many years of persecution and stereo type, yet do not fall under a protected class. As OC supporters, we end up falling into a group that must carry it’s own weight, and carve it’s own image. Though NRA and other groups have endeavored to advertise and shape the image of gun owners in general as ”everyday people” they inevitably fall back to the “hunters and sportsman’s” position as a comfort zone in an effort to gain at least some social acceptance as a foot hold. The fact remains, that not everyone who owns guns is a sportsman or a hunter, and depending on the political landscape, strength of given positions the NRA would take, and their supporting members opinions, the other groups may or may not benefit from their social imaging.. The remaining group(s) of random gun owners is in fact the majority, the regular people who simply own guns for either self protection, general interest (hobby), or simply like to toss some tin cans around at the pit on Saturday. This group“X” then becomes labeled as a fringe group by the media and anti-gunners, and is subsequently neither fully supported or image-shaped by the larger NRA type groups who themselves are fighting for a certain middle ground image that they can keep secured. This is not to say NRA and similar groups don’t quietly support group “X” or agree with their position, simply put, they don’t want to lose any footing they feel they have secured. One of group “X”, Open Carry, has managed to break out from under the media imposed image, and into the public eye. The obvious reason is the firearms are open, so you can easily identify an open carrier. Upon seeing an open carrier, one then has to form an opinion. If after watching an open carrier interact with the people around them (or not interact at all), one can easily ascertain the individual is actually not a threat, is potentially friendly, and thus the observer’s image of a gun owner is challenged against the media’s imposed image. Once a person is left to realize their own interpretation of a challenged image, they can form a new opinion based off of the gun owners actual actions, and even freely interact with the gun owner, thus forming a 1[suP]st[/suP] hand opinion. This is where Open Carry will prevail over Concealed Carry on a social level.

For protection, I prefer OC over CC. Fact is simple: You only need to draw and engage your firearm if you are directly engaged in a combative situation, or under immediate threat of life or limb. If you are Concealed, the offender will not know you are armed, and the potential to be engaged is ever present. The only way to then deal with the now engaged offender, is to draw and most likely fire. I am not an advocate or believer in “CC-Surprising” the offender, because the offender would have already surprised and engaged you, and the prospect of re-surprising the offender is slim to none. In comparison, Open Carry acts as a deterrent, and an offender more than likely will simply choose another target at a later time, as engaging an armed victim is akin to a lion hunting sharks instead of fish. There is also the subject of speed, where OC will have a distinct advantage. Having to dig under cloths, or flash open your shirt prior to employing the arm will slow you down, and also alerts the offender that “something” is about to happen, so in reality, one cannot really count on any surprise factor claimed by some CC supporters. In reality, I would say that CC and OC actually have respectfully equal tactical usage, both having some distinct advantages and dis-advantages. CC has the advantage of stealth, where one can retain an arm in an environment that is not conducive to Open Carry. Also in bad weather, CC will usually protect an arm better than OC. OC, as mentioned previously, acts as a strong deterrent, faster acquisition, and is more comfortable, also raises awareness of “good guys” having guns, effectively displacing errant idealism around gun owners and the unfounded negative image. OC shows the community that we can in fact protect ourselves from the violent criminals, and encourages others to take the same personal responsibility. Criminals do not thrive in an environment that caters to self protecting citizens.

Of course, this is my own perspective, and I don’t intend it to be as a challenge or an affront to anyone’s personal perspective. Simply, it’s the way I see it.

Thanks for suffering a long write – I was a little bored at the PC today.

;)Bat

P.S... Edit as note: i do both, OC or CC dependant on weather and whats prudent or comfortable, and with variousmakes/models- Simply put, i carry a firearm.

:)

follker

imported post

So let me sum up what I have read so far, and please correct me if I am wrong in my 'impressions'.

The BIGGEST, most OFTEN quoted reason if more 'PR' that tactical.

Bats long post, which had the best/longest tactical break down had cc vs oc at a tactical dead heat.

I am no where near an expert (pleeeeease) but I dont carry to make a public statement, I carry 100% for defense. I just not that civicly minded enough to be a walking NRA poster child (im not trying to be offensive here). I carry to defend myself if I need to, and I send money to the NRA to let others fight THAT battle for me. If there is nothing tactically to be gained from OC, its kinda hard for me to justify it.

Thing is, it feels like there is. I dry fire/draw 25 time every night. With a over shirt. Its a pita. Even after months of this practice I mess up the draw 20% of the time. I am getting better, but change the type of shirt and it drops to 30-40%, I have to be wearing my 5.11 concealed shirt. I cant really count on being able to wear a certain type of shirt for the rest of my life.

I feel as if I should be able to put 3 rounds on target at 7 yards in 2 seconds EVERY TIME, at ZERO notice, and I can do that now ~ 50% of the time CCing, and almost 75% of the time OCing. I will get better with practice, and I am new at this, but those number are striking. However, like Bat said, tactically its a wash after I build my skills up.

So Im torn, I need a valid tactical reason to carry a certain way and right now im leaning toward OC, but once my skills increase to the point I can pull, present and shoot CC the way I want to, I think the element of surprise will win out.

Thoughts?

Batousaii

imported post

Maybe i could clarify it a little better by saying that OC and CC both adequately fulfil a particular tactical role. Init'sspecific role, one willindeed out perform the other. But to forceone role where the other would be more beneficial is absurd.In other words, you would not race your formula-1 car on a mud and dirt track, nor would you race your 4x4 on asphalt with the Formula-1 cars.

- Both OC and CC provide a certain advantage over the other when fulfilling their individual role, and it is up to YOU to decide what best fills your situation and needs, and realise that each day, or situation/event may be different. The best thing to do is be proficient at both, and know when/why you are going to use one style or the other. To try and decide on only one style is akin to thinking one kitchen knife can be used for all your cutting needs. Know and use both, and realise there are many in betweens too. WA-State is OC/CC and nothing states you need to choose one above the other, or polarise to one school of thought --- think outside the box here.

- From a purely mechanical role, Open Carry will out perform Concealed every time - period. It is faster, and smoother, and will enable one to transition from holstered to engaged while experiencing extreme duress with greater ease. Underthat purely mechanical role, OC is superior. Concealed fills a much narrower tactical need, but in that need will be better suited.

- So to simply state that OC or CC is "tactically" better - "NO" - each has a particular role that fits certain needs.

- To say OC is superior mechanically, and potentially fills a general purposerole better - "YES"

- I usually OC because i preffer the mechanical advantge it offers, I Conceal when it is socially prudent, or if in an environment that is non condusive to an exposed firearm (they usually dont like rain or exremely dusty wind etc.). So yes, i both OC and CC depending on what role OC/C fills for me at that time.

- I hope that helps to clarify my position.

;)Bat

Batousaii

imported post

follker wrote:
<snip> So Im torn, I need a valid tactical reason to carry a certain way and right now im leaning toward OC, but once my skills increase to the point I can pull, present and shoot CC the way I want to, I think the element of surprise will win out.

Thoughts?

You will almost never have the element of surprise once you have been engaged by a violent offender. The element of surprise is gone once the engagement has begun. The best you can hope for is to be able to get your weapon into play before the offender can take action, but he will not be so surprised as to not fire his weapon, or stab you prior to you taking action. If your lucky, your not already subdued, tied up, knocked out or beat around by the offender, and believe me he will be watching you like a hawk. The myth of CC-Surprise is a candy rainbow of wishful thinking. Violent attacks are fast, sudden, confusing. You will experience the loss of fine motor skills, may become dizzy, numb, frozen, or experience nausea, tunnel vision, hearing loss. You may experience what feels like time distortion (slow motion - or- all happening too fast), you may experience some, all or none of these, and to varying degrees.

- Get into your CC gear, and have your friend rush attack you - see how well you can employ your gun (he has to pretend you dont have one -- AND USE A FAKE GUN!).

- Go to the range and try to shoot accurate while your friend is screaming horrible insults at you loudly.

- with those, you will have a little tiny taste of combat/defensive stress -- it is no joke, and it can be brutal.

;)tings to re-think about.

follker

imported post

Being able to operate under the stress of combat is not new to me. Training, training, and more training with a side of training is the only proven method for dealing with the disorientation and confusion that comes with the stress of the unimaginable becoming reality.

Getting to the point of being able to do something with out thinking about it, just doing it on 'instinct' from pure muscle memory is my goal. I have to do it over and over and over and over and over and over and......well you get the point. I force myself to draw and present at least 25 times a night. Focus on the front sight, get my sight picture, well, you know the drill. I want to do this until I DREAM about it. Not there yet. I need to PICK one, OC or CC to standardize my training. I either draw OC or I draw CC, muscle memory is hard to build, even harder to UNbuild. I have been drawing CC, learning to 'flip' (for lack of a better term) my shirt over my pistol with my draw hand (assuming I will be using my weak hand to hold back the BG) and drawing to my arm pit, then presenting quickly and trying to acquire the front sight on the present.

That all sounds really good, right? Doesnt really work that well in practice. About half the time I get bound up in my shirt and pull my shirt up with my gun, present quickly, and cant find the front sight quickly enough and fire a little wide first round. 5 shot groups at 7 yards are like 8-9", if you take out the first round it drops to 3-4". So, basicly right now I can not count of first shot hitting center mass, or at all really (unless its a fat guy).

Train train train train. At this point I just want to master this skill, but I think I will end up OC'ing because it offers a tactical (Bats 'mechanical') advantage in drawing, while sacrificing stealth. I can only see stealth as a tactical advantage if the BG attacks someone else and you are helping them. Very situational.

I will note however, I think I will need to look very seriously at gun retention and disarming classes. More of a worry for an OC'er dont you think?

J

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

You know, I get really tired of the CC crowd saying they think CC is better for "tactical reasons" and to keep that "element of surprise". I wonder, I really do, if they realize just how much they make themselves sound like bloodthirsty killers.

Personally, I'm in CC mode a lot of the time right now because of the weather. If it's cold/too cool/raining/etc. I wear a jacket, which covers my pistol. Otherwise, I OC. I OC for 3 main reasons.

1. Self defense - That split second longer it takes to deploy your gun from concealment might just be the difference between life and death. Also, The BGs aren't normally going to cause trouble where they think there's a possibility of being seriously injured or killed. So the mere SIGHT of a gun is a deterrence to most of them.

2. Education - When I wear my gun exposed to view I'm more liable to have people stopping me to talk and ask questions. Believe it or not, Many people here in Washington don't know what their rights are because the Declaration of Independence and the Federal and State Constitutions aren't taught in the schools. I sometimes have the privilege of teaching them things the "system" has tried to keep from them.

3. Political Statement - I'm sick and tired of hiding in the closet and raising my hand while looking at my toes, saying "I support the 2nd Amendment". That's one of the most cowardly things I've done in my life and I did it for a very long time. Now, i refuse to to do so anymore. I firmly believe that such behavior is what allowed the AWBs of the past and will allow the Federal Government to take away our rights. I also believe that without the 2nd Amendment the rest won't last very long. History is my witness to the fact that the first thing to go in any totalitarian regime is the individual right to keep and bear arms.