• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reasons to Open Carry

Glock17

imported post

Bookman wrote:
1. Self defense

2. Education
3. Political Statement
I like these reasons and they make sense to me. I think however the government cannot take away rights that it doesn't give to begin with. People will always be armed and thats just the way it is. Cheers

follker

imported post

Glock17

I disagree

The government doesn't 'give' you ANY rights. Its a carefully worded document, our constitution, read it very carefully. It does not GIVE us rights. We are BORN with our rights as free men. Our constitution only explains what rights it can take AWAY and WHEN it can TAKE them.

I find it comforting to read that document from time to time, it reminds me how smart our founding fathers where.

Take the 2nd amendment for instance. It does not GIVE us the right to bear arms.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It says the right we ALREADY HAVE should not BE INFRINGED.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

follker wrote:
Glock17

I disagree

The government doesn't 'give' you ANY rights.

*snip*
I think that was his point to begin with.

Since they don't give us any rights, they can't take them.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

When I am out by myself: To show the public that good-guys have guns too. My OC holsters are usually more comfortable to carry a larger, more-effective weapon in.

When I am out with my family: In fight-or-flight, I have no legitimate option to "flight" with 3 little kids and my wife, so FIGHT IT IS...and to avoid (deter) the fight is winning it in my book. My OC'ed gun does not "warrant alarm" to anyone other than someone who actually believes I might have a good reason to use it against them.

-G20

o2ryan

imported post

follker wrote:
So let me sum up what I have read so far, and please correct me if I am wrong in my 'impressions'.

The BIGGEST, most OFTEN quoted reason if more 'PR' that tactical.

Follker,

I have enough faith in the general population of this forum to assume (going out on a limb, I know) that self defense is the primary reason we all carry no matter what mode we choose. The OP asked for reasons we Open Carry, not why we carry period.

That being said, I agree with your assessment that OC wins out from a "speed of draw" standpoint, though I am still on the fence about the tactical advantage of the mere visible presence of my weapon. I tend to agree that it would make a criminal think twice about tangling with someone who is obviously prepared to defend themselves, but I have to think that in certain situations it will make you the primary target in hopes of eliminating the threat before perpetrating the criminal act. So from a purely tactical perspective, I am going with 50/50.

When I mention Public Awareness, or "PR" as you put it,as a reason to OC it is because I am of the firm belief that if you value the freedom you have to strap on a pistol every day in this country, then you have a responsibility to defend that freedom which is under morepublic scrutiny now than it ever has been before. Education and positive public examples are the best toolswe have at this point to defend this freedom. Many people will automatically ignore what the NRA does or says because they perceive them as part of the political machine, but they might just listen to what you, their friend or neighbor or customeror stranger pumping gas, has to say about personal protection and firearms ownership.

Abraham Lincoln was quoted as saying "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men."

Follker, please hear me when I say that I am not calling you, or anyone else on this foruma coward. But if we are not taking advantage of the opportunities we have tochange the public perception of gun owners and do everything we can to hold on to ALL of the freedoms that the constitutionprotects, then history may just paint us all as such.

Sorry for the rant, none of this is directed at anyone personaly, something just got into me.

Snarly

killchain

imported post

When it's too cumbersome to hide.

When it's hot out.

When it's easier than carrying it in your hand to the range.

Just a few reasons I think are good ones. :)