• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Responding to a LEO's Request for ID?

desertfox

imported post

I had a question on whether or not you present your drivers license to LEO when requested if they stop you for a 12031(e) inspection. I've watched all the youtube videos, read nearly every post here, and I've researched the laws pretty thoroughly.

In Hiibel v. Sixth, it seems that I am only required toverbally state my name. I am not required to "show id aka a drivers license." It seems that the LA District Attorney's Office is referring to an armed individual as to one that is carrying an unloaded gun legally.

I'm just curious to see how you respond when they request this of you.

Nate's In-Depth Open Carry FAQ
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"
What should I do if a cop thinks that open carry is illegal? Will he ask me for ID?

Since carrying openly while obeying the state's restrictions is not a crime, a police officer has no authority to ask for your identification only because of your (legal) activities. In California, police may only ask for your identification if they ACCUSE you of a crime that is a misdemeanor or a felony (Kolender v. Lawson, Hiibel v. Sixth District of Nevada). There have been multiple reported cases of officers asking open carriers for identification because these officers view carrying a gun as probable cause of having committed a crime. While this line of thought is legally tenuous at best (and many departments are taking strides to educate their officers), its use illustrates the necessity of adequate recording devices while UOCing.
LOS ANGELES COUNTIES DISTRICT ATTORNEY'S OFFICE (One Minute Brief):
http://info.publicintelligence.net/LAOpenCarry.pdf
The incidental detention of the armed individual justifies a demand for ID, allowing age verification and a data-base check for information about any disqualification to possess firearms. [font=Arial,Arial][font=Arial,Arial]Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District [/font][/font](2004) 542 US 177, 187.

demnogis

imported post

Demand what ID? I don't carry it when Open Carrying -- unless I'm also driving/riding at the same time.

With out PC or RAS of a crime being committed, about to be committed or in progress there is no authority to detain (stop) and demand ID.

The only authority they have lacking PC/RAS as cited above is to inspect the firearm for an unexpended cartridge or loaded magazine in the magazine well of the firearm. This does not include manipulating the firearm to reveal otherwise non-visible serial numbers.

The memo you pulled from is partly correct, partly incorrect.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

demnogis wrote:
With out PC or RAS of a crime being committed, about to be committed or in progress there is no authority to detain (stop) and demand ID.
Hiibel held that, "The Court is now of the view that Terry principles permit a State to require a suspect to disclose his name in the course of a Terry stop." In Nevada, there is a stop and identify statute, so any detainee would be obliged to provide his name if requested. It is my understanding that, in California we have no such obligation.

Ca Patriot

imported post

I believe the best course of action is a very simple on but it takes self control and probably some practice. This is what you should do....

You are walking down the street, a police officer confronts you and opens with one of many typical questions...... ANSWER NONE OF THEM !!

Upon the officer initiating contact and communication simply state the follow :

"I will comply with a section 12031 (e) examination of my handgun. However, I do not consent to any searches of my persons or property and I will answer no further questions without my attorney present"

Stating such will prevent the police from asking you any question or removing any ID from you. It will also PROHIBIT the officer from gleaning any information from your answers that will give him any probably cause or suspicion.

The officer will have no authority to do any more searches and will have no right to ask anymore questions so the detained should END RIGHT THERE and you should then ask :

"Am I free to leave?" "Am I free to leave?"

Make sure you have an audio/video recorder on you and make sure you practive OVER AND OVER your verbal statement to police.

Anyone care to give an opinion on my advice ?

oc4ever

imported post

I agree that all verbal communication by the OC'er to LEO's (in a negative enforcement situation)should be as limited as possible. Any chit-chatting, asking questions, etc., can be taken as allowing a voluntary detention. After the weapon inspection , the only thing you need to say is "Am I free to leave NOW?" Keep repeating this phrase until he says yes once you have your weapon back. IF you ask the question and he does not answer you, a common LEO trick when he knows he has nothing to hold you on, tell him you are leaving, at least twice. and start walking away slowly if he does not object.

I don't know if I would be so abrupt to throw out the lawyer card, other than to say you have personal business to conduct immediately , you are going to be late for work, miss the opening of the marajuana despensiery...OK , just kidding...and that you don't want the officer delaying you any time more than necessary to inspect the weapon. This is not the time to ask the officer his opinion on OC, about how cool certain guns are, or your/his job, or about that time you got busted and it was bogus, or any other subject. Just do whatever is necessary (act impatient, but polite) to put some distance between you and the LEO and get on your way. The more you talk and delay your departure, the better chance of bad things happening to you.

markm

imported post

Ca Patriot wrote:
I believe the best course of action is a very simple on but it takes self control and probably some practice. This is what you should do....

You are walking down the street, a police officer confronts you and opens with one of many typical questions...... ANSWER NONE OF THEM !!

Upon the officer initiating contact and communication simply state the follow :

"I will comply with a section 12031 (e) examination of my handgun. However, I do not consent to any searches of my persons or property and I will answer no further questions without my attorney present"

Stating such will prevent the police from asking you any question or removing any ID from you. It will also PROHIBIT the officer from gleaning any information from your answers that will give him any probably cause or suspicion.

The officer will have no authority to do any more searches and will have no right to ask anymore questions so the detained should END RIGHT THERE and you should then ask :

"Am I free to leave?" "Am I free to leave?"

Make sure you have an audio/video recorder on you and make sure you practive OVER AND OVER your verbal statement to police.

Anyone care to give an opinion on my advice ?

Hey Ca Patriot and Oc4ever,

I liked your posts.

I agree with CaPatriot on the self mirandization. By mirandizing yourelf, you have forced the officer to provide RAS or PC for any further detainment that he forces you to comply with.

If the fuzz further detaines you, repeatone phrase: I need my lawyer and you personally owe me $21,000[suP]1[/suP].

my 2/10[suP]ths[/suP] of a cent.

Foot note #1: Judge Black and St. John set the going rate for 4A violoations at $21,000.

markm

Decoligny

imported post

oc4ever wrote:
I agree that all verbal communication by the OC'er to LEO's (in a negative enforcement situation)should be as limited as possible. Any chit-chatting, asking questions, etc., can be taken as allowing a voluntary detention. After the weapon inspection , the only thing you need to say is "Am I free to leave NOW?" Keep repeating this phrase until he says yes once you have your weapon back. IF you ask the question and he does not answer you, a common LEO trick when he knows he has nothing to hold you on, tell him you are leaving, at least twice. and start walking away slowly if he does not object.

I don't know if I would be so abrupt to throw out the lawyer card, other than to say you have personal business to conduct immediately , you are going to be late for work, miss the opening of the marajuana despensiery...OK , just kidding...and that you don't want the officer delaying you any time more than necessary to inspect the weapon. This is not the time to ask the officer his opinion on OC, about how cool certain guns are, or your/his job, or about that time you got busted and it was bogus, or any other subject. Just do whatever is necessary (act impatient, but polite) to put some distance between you and the LEO and get on your way. The more you talk and delay your departure, the better chance of bad things happening to you.

I suggest using "Unless I am being detained for committing a crime, I will be leaving. Am I being detained?" If the officer does not answer, repeat it with this addition: "Am I being detained? I will take you silence to mean that I am not being detained, have a nice day officer."

Of course, have your recorder going at all times.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm less confident about the tactic of easing away or walking away if the cop refuses to reply to your query if you are being detained.

In the big picture, the cop can always later say you didn't ask, or didn't hear you ask.

Who knows?maybe he hasthe idea that you are not free until he expressly says so. We already know some cops have goofy ideas at odds with the actual law.

If he is avoiding answering your question, he is already into playing some game with you. It is too easy to be polite, courteous and just answer your question about whether you are free to go. Is he also cranky? Is he looking for a chance to forcefully set your a$$ on the curb? Who can say with total certainty?

Iplan to expressly withhold myconsent to the encounter itself at the outset. Politely. For example, "Officer,no offense. I know you are probably just doing your job. But, I do notconsent to this encounter."

This is more comprehensive than justinvoking the 5th Amendment right to silence. It is more comprehensive than refusingconsentto any searches or seizures. It covers not only things that may happen during the encounter, it covers the encounter itself. It immediately removes the entire encounter from the realm of being consensual.

It closes the door on anyclaims that you consented by hanging around. It also throws the entire onus onto the cop for continuing the encounter. Since it is no longer a consensual encounter hemust have RAS. (Terry v Ohio.)

I am not suggesting this as a substitute. I would still invoke my right to not answer questions, expressly withhold my consent to any searches or seizures, and repeatedly ask if I am free to go. I am suggesting for consideration to politely, verbally, refuse consent to the encounter itself at the very beginning of the encounter. First words out of my mouth.

And, then, I would not physically make any movement as though to leave until the cop expressly said I was free to go. I've already covered my 4A base by refusing consent to a consensual encounter. If the cop continues the encounter, it cannot possibly be consensual. If he is not responding to my question about whether I am free to leave, itcannot possibly have moved back into the realm of being consensual.

For the purposes of exercising my 4A rights, all I need to do is establish my refused consent. Plenty of court cases seemto bethe court determining whether consent wasgiven by some non-verbalcircumstance, or whether a seizure actually occurred based on somecircumstance caused by the police. Allthe ambiguityabout consent disappears if I expressly refuse consent to the encounter itself at the outset. And, all the ambiguity about whether acopactually seized me disappears by his continuing the encounter past my refused consent to the encounter.

It occurs to me that you can further establish the non-consensual nature of the encounter by adding one word to the question. "Officer, am I free to leave, yet?" Or, "Officer, am I still being detained?"

It also occurs to me that you can reinforce the non-consensual nature of the encounter just be declaring, "Officer, I want to leave. The reason I am remaining is because you are continuing the encounteryou will not tell me I am free to go, making me think you would compel to stay." Or, some such.

oc4ever

imported post

The following youtube video is a good example of walking away from a illegal or overextended detention. The Oc'ER used very poor judgment walking up on the officer on a traffic stop. He was a bit overly verbal, but did a good job of not giving up his ID and walking away from the LEO's when they had nothing on him. You will notice the OC'er wants to leave but the LEO's neither say he can or can't leave. When they don't tell you to stay, it really means they want you to hang around while they figure out something to charge you with, but have no legal right to make you stay. This is a age old LEO ploy.

Learn from this video both the good and what needs working on, like walking up on a LEO engaged in other police business....a really bad idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BwQQSo9YX4

markm

imported post

Citizen,

You wrote:

"Iplan to expressly withhold myconsent to the encounter itself at the outset. Politely. For example, "Officer,no offense. I know you are probably just doing your job. But, I do notconsent to this encounter."'

Unfortunately, here in PRK (People's Republic of Kalifornia), wemustconsentto the initial detainment or be subject to immediate arrest. PC 12031 (e) states such. We must allow LEO to inspect our gun for load condition. In Delong v. People, the judge opined that the 12031 (e) check should be brief, focused on one objective and the detainment shouldavoid embarrassment; but, the judge additionally opined that it was Constitutional.

For us PRK OCers, there is a definite demarcation between a legal detainment and a prolonged detainment which becomes a 4th A violation and subject to civil court action and a LEO's loss of qualified immunity. For me, a wheel gunner, that demarcation line is crossed when the officer takes my gun out of the holster and opens the cylinder and exposes the SN. Myholsters do not cover the top of the cylinder, which allows for a visual (e) check, while holstered--a visual inspection is all that is required to determine my guns loaded/unloaded condition.

Hopefully, I have given enough information to make you rethink your post regarding self-mirandizing and asking twice if you are being further detained, and then slowly sidestepping awayin a non-threatening manner.

My most important point: While in PRK, OCers must consent to detainment or get arrested. Case law exists that states that 12031 (e) is Constitutional. Please come to PRK, refuse an (e) check and start the legal process to test 12031 (e) at SCOTUS.

markm

markm

imported post

oc4ever wrote:
The following youtube video is a good example of walking away from a illegal or overextended detention. The Oc'ER used very poor judgment walking up on the officer on a traffic stop. He was a bit overly verbal, but did a good job of not giving up his ID and walking away from the LEO's when they had nothing on him. You will notice the OC'er wants to leave but the LEO's neither say he can or can't leave. When they don't tell you to stay, it really means they want you to hang around while they figure out something to charge you with, but have no legal right to make you stay. This is a age old LEO ploy.

Learn from this video both the good and what needs working on, like walking up on a LEO engaged in other police business....a really bad idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BwQQSo9YX4

oc4ever,

That guy was an idiot. What a stupid dumb$hit. You are correct, don't ever approach an officer like that. Thanks for warning us about that moronic tactic.

markm

mjones

imported post

MarkBofRAdvocate wrote:
Unfortunately, here in PRK (People's Republic of Kalifornia), wemustconsentto the initial detainment or be subject to immediate arrest. PC 12031 (e) states such. We must allow LEO to inspect our gun for load condition. In Delong v. People, the judge opined that the 12031 (e) check should be brief, focused on one objective and the detainment shouldavoid embarrassment; but, the judge additionally opined that it was Constitutional.

Negative. The case you cite expressly provides that an e-check is not a detention, its a 'brief inspection' to determine the loaded state of a firearm. Essentially its been ruled constitutional along the same lines as agriculture/DUI/Smog checkpoints.

Also keep in mind that 12031(e) is only applicable where its illegal to be loaded.

markm

imported post

mjones wrote:
MarkBofRAdvocate wrote:

Negative. The case you cite expressly provides that an e-check is not a detention, its a 'brief inspection' to determine the loaded state of a firearm. Essentially its been ruled constitutional along the same lines as agriculture/DUI/Smog checkpoints.

Also keep in mind that 12031(e) is only applicable where its illegal to be loaded.

mjones,

Negative, semantics aside, anytime a LEO stops a citizen and under penalty of arrest, requires the handling of citizen's property by LEO, a detention has occurred. The judge in Delong may have been crafty in his wording; however, a detention is a detention.

I would hope that SCOTUS would rule an (e) check to be unconstitutional as the mere presence of a gun does not negate a citizen's 4th A rights (paraphrase of SCOTUS rulings).

markm

Edit: Fixed apostrophe catastrophe and added the wordcitizen's.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

MarkBofRAdvocate wrote:
Citizen,

You wrote:

"Iplan to expressly withhold myconsent to the encounter itself at the outset. Politely. For example, "Officer,no offense. I know you are probably just doing your job. But, I do notconsent to this encounter."'

Unfortunately, here in PRK (People's Republic of Kalifornia), wemustconsentto the initial detainment or be subject to immediate arrest. PC 12031 (e) states such. We must allow LEO to inspect our gun for load condition.

I see.

Does the statute actually require consent, though. Or, just compliance?

There is a difference between compliance and consent. Broadly speaking, compliance can be compelled. But not consent.

I have heard of implied consent. For example, in some states, perhaps all,driving a car on public roads implies consent to a blood-alcohol test under certain circumstances related to drunk driving. Is there an express "implied consent" doctrine applied to an (e)-check, whether express by statute or court opinion?

If there is no consent required, you could still politely refuse consent. For example, "No offense, officer. I know you are just doing you job. While I will comply, I want to make it clear that I do not consent to this encounter."

The main point is to take advantage of court rulings to the effect that consent automatically renders legal what would otherwise have been an illegal search or seizure. (See the Busted video).

And, even if it turns out there is some implied consent to an (e)-check, or one is crafted by government, you can always declare that you refuse consent to anything and everything except the loaded chamber check.

Separately, while we spend a lot of text discussing this point, don't nobody lose sight of the fact that it is just one element of a broader picture. I started my part in this thread expressing personal doubt abouteasing away from a cop who refuses to answermy question about whether I amfree to go.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Here is the text of PC12031(e):

(e) In order to determine whether or not a firearm is loaded for
the purpose of enforcing this section, peace officers are authorized
to examine any firearm carried by anyone on his or her person or in a
vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an
incorporated city or prohibited area of an unincorporated territory.
Refusal to allow a peace officer to inspect a firearm pursuant to
this section constitutes probable cause for arrest for violation of
this section.

Based on the wording, I can understand MarkBofRAdvocate's statement.

You California guys have probably been all around this from every angle. But, I'm going to hazard some comments. I am not a lawyer.

It seems to me that the statute can only be talking about compliance, as in the "refusing to allow" being the typeof refusal that physically prevents or impedes the cop's inspection. This also makes sense from the perspective that nobody wants cops and carriers duking it out on the street. First give the carrier the chance to physically allow it. If he does not, then the cop can moveright to an arrest, without having to physically strugglewith the carrier, then havingwon the struggle, only inspect the gun.

Also, the cop couldn'tarrest the carrierfor having a loaded gun before the "refused to allow" occursbecause the cop wouldn't have probable cause to know it was loaded. Thus the statute says refusing to allow is probable cause, making the refusal its own offense against this statute--not justeveryday obstruction or impeding an officer. I am guessing this is a way around the idea that the cop cannot otherwise compel the inspection without RAS or PC--he would first haveto seize the gun in order to inspect it, and that seizure for inspecting loaded status would require the cop first had RAS or PCit was loaded topass muster under the 4A.

Another angle on this is that if the statute required consent and included a penalty for withholding consent, it would be a violation of the 5th Amendment right to not be compelled to provide information to the government that it could use to prosecute you. Or, so I am thinking.

So, the solution, it seems to me, for anyone wanting to use my suggested approach, is to allow the inspection--comply with the demand to inspect--while refusing consent. I would just work out somedeclaration that makes it clear I am allowing the inspection only over top of my refused consent under threat of legal penalty under (e) and whatever obstruction statute.

I am thinking we have lots of legal precedent. Does a person who walks in cuffs to a police car actually give his consent by not sitting down and making the police drag him? You get the idea.

Also, remember, the point here is not to resist the (e)-check, or protect against it, but to invoke the 4A and 5Afor every single other thing the cop may do that would also require your consent to be legal/constitutional.

mjones

imported post

Perfect summary Citizen. Your analysis, recomendations and solution are exactly what we've been recommending in the CA subforum for years now.

markm

imported post

Citizen and mjones,

Your argument is to contrived.

It is really simple, if LEO perceives your verbalsemantics to be a refusal to (e) check, he can arrest. RAS does not require hard proof; it needs to be reasonable suspicion. Your recording of your mangled words could become proof to convict.

The safest thing to say is: "I will comply with a section 12031 (e) examination of my handgun. However, I do not consent to any searches of my persons or property and I will answer no further questions without my attorney present[suP]1[/suP]"

After the (e) check state: "Am I free to leave[suP]?1"[/suP] "Am I free to leave[suP]?1"[/suP]

If the copper does not answer, state with hands up and palms toward the copper in a non-threatening and submissive way, "I am leaving now, I am leaving now" while slowly walking away. Maintain eye contact and keep your submissive and non-threatening body posture. Without demandsemanating fromthe copfor you to stop, turn and go about your business.

The police are required to initiate a Terry hot-stop. There is no automaticobligation to consent to a Terry stop, unless LEO initiates it with RAS.

markm
Note #1: CA Patriot word-smithed these statements.

mjones

imported post

Read closer, that's exactly what we're saying.

The only disparity that I see is with regard to the constitutionality and whether or not an e-check is a detainment. Obviously its an unconstitutionaldetainment and siezure of person/property; but at this time court rpecident dictates otherwise.

BTW, the police are not 'required' todo anything. I've been OCing since the 80s and I've never once been e-checked...even while in direct contact with them.

markm

imported post

mjones wrote:
Read closer, that's exactly what we're saying.

The only disparity that I see is with regard to the constitutionality and whether or not an e-check is a detainment. Obviously its an unconstitutionaldetainment and siezure of person/property; but at this time court rpecident dictates otherwise.

BTW, the police are not 'required' todo anything. I've been OCing since the 80s and I've never once been e-checked...even while in direct contact with them.

Hello mjones,

"So, the solution, it seems to me, for anyone wanting to use my suggested approach, is to allow the inspection--comply with the demand to inspect--while refusing consent."(By Citizen, from an earlier post)

I am sorry, that statement has semantic mis-step written all over it. It is an oxymoronic statement.

Have you ever had a LEO encounter while packing guns? I am alwaysvery careful around LEO when I am armed. I am a little nervous. I know that LEO has been trained to think that I will shoot him because I have a gun (the training is all wrong, but it is the standard). It is very easy to mangle your words.

KISS (keep it simple stupid). Simplex veri sigilum (simplicity is the seal of truth). Ockhams Razor (the simplest approach is usually the best). Lex Parsimone (law of succinctness). Murphy's Law (if something can go wrong--it will).

You get my drift.

markm