• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This may be a retarded question

TyNV

imported post

What is Strike and fire? The M&P .40 is a Strike and Fire firearm.
Is it the same as Single Action or double action with a different name?
Someone please explain.

Sorry if this is a stupid question to ask but I would appreciate the help.

Thanks, TyNV

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I have never heard the term "strike and fire". Can you tell us where you heard this and what it is supposed to mean?

As for the M&P Smith and Wesson pistol design, it is a SAO (Single Action Only) pistol. What this means is the trigger has only one responsibility, or action, which it is designed to perform and that is to release the striker via the sear to fire the weapon. The striker is held in a full cock position by the sear in preparation of being released by the trigger's action.

Compare that to the Glock design which is a DAO (Double Action Only) where the trigger has two tasks to fulfill in order to fire. It first completes the cocking of the striker and then releases it to fire a cartridge.

I have an M&P40 and have closely examined it and how it operates.

Deanimator

imported post

TyNV wrote:
Someone please explain.

Thanks, TyNV
I think what you mean is "striker fired".

There are two basic ways to detonate a firearms primer, either by a hammer with a firing pin attached, or which strikes a separate firing pin, OR by a "striker", which is more or less the firing pin alone, which is mechanically retracted and released to strike the primer.

A Colt Single Action Army revolver and an M1911 pistol are examples of hammer fired fire firearms. In the SAA, there is a firing pin attached to the hammer so that when the hammer falls, it strikes the primer. In the M1911, there are a separate hammer and spring loaded firing pin. When the hammer falls, it strikes the firing pin, driving it forward against the firing pin spring to strike the hammer. When the hammer is at rest, the spring retracts the firing pin (which is shorter than the tunnel in which it travels) so that its point does not touch the primer.

A Glock 19 and a S&W M&P are striker fired pistols. They do not have separate hammers. Instead, the firing pin itself is retracted and released by the firing mechanism to strike the primer.

Striker fired pistols generally have fewer parts and a simpler mechanism than hammer fired firearms, especially ones with separate firing pins. Also, their safety mechanisms can be simpler since they have fewer mechanical actions to prevent.

open4years

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
TyNV wrote:
Someone please explain.

Thanks, TyNV
I think what you mean is "striker fired".

There are two basic ways to detonate a firearms primer, either by a hammer with a firing pin attached, or which strikes a separate firing pin, OR by a "striker", which is more or less the firing pin alone, which is
mechanically retracted and released to strike the primer.

A Colt Single Action Army revolver and an M1911 pistol are examples of hammer fired fire firearms.  In the SAA, there is a firing pin attached to the hammer so that when the hammer falls, it strikes the primer.  In the
M1911, there are a separate hammer and spring loaded firing pin.  When the hammer falls, it strikes the firing pin, driving it forward against the firing pin spring to strike the hammer.  When the hammer is at rest, the spring retracts the firing pin (which is shorter than the tunnel in which it travels) so that its point does not touch the primer.

A Glock 19 and a S&W M&P are striker fired pistols.  They do not have separate hammers.  Instead, the firing pin itself is retracted and released
by the firing mechanism to strike the primer.

Striker fired pistols generally have fewer parts and a simpler mechanism than hammer fired firearms, especially ones with separate firing pins.  Also, their safety mechanisms can be simpler since they have fewer mechanical actions to prevent.

Striker Fired is what came to mind for me too. Good explanation.

Old Grump

imported post

Not a stupid question. Whenever somebody asks a question like that that most people seem to think is self evident there are just as many people who didn't know and were glad somebody else asked.

Even us old goats who have been around for a hundred centuries or so learn something every day. If we don't it was a day wasted.