• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arizona might cut power to LA, thoughts?

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

marshaul,

This thread is OT enough (and will probably therefore get locked liked the other one on this subject since I don't see OC-related here whatsoever) so I was justthrowing ina historical fact, not a moral judgement.

But is it true that I feel no sympathy for the 'poor innocent and noble' Indians (like seen in the Dances with Wolves 'noble savage' BS) since they did the very same to each other before any Europeans ever hit the beach. Then, they complained when the new, bigger and badder 'white tribes' did it to them (yet stilldidn't mind making alliances with the 'evil savage white tribes' in order to continue to wage war on their traditionalIndian enemies). [That's also historical fact]

American Indians...what hypocritical whiners. [That's opinion]

-- John D.

P.S. I think if anyone knows what a tiny ant brains thinks, you do...so I'll leaveant psychology to you. But I must confess that I AM almost anexpert in mosquito psychology as we have lots of those down here...and they have tiny brains, too. ;-)

Otherwise, no more OT additions from me to this already OT thread.

Bloodsin

imported post

I beg to differ. This subject has A LOT to do with OC for the sheer fact that this is going to effect us in a massive way. We do not know that if Arizona shuts down the power that they will turn LA into a police state. We do not know what the liberals will do in response to this. We also know that Arizona is a state in which you can conceal carry loaded without any permit and be within your rights.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I agree...butmy response to that effectover in this thread (see link below) didn'tmatter tothe 2 OT police members there:The threadwas immediately locked and they even deleted my last response at the very end:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum10/43347.html

In short, immigration subjects areNOT OC RELATED and therefore should not be posted.

It's their rules so that's how it is.

-- John D.

Gundude

imported post

Do you really think this will happen? All of the emergency services would be cut off, Businesses closed, Looting, people lives put in jeopardy...on andon and on. All the lawyers in the state would be put to work filing all the lawsuits.

Not to mention that all the electricity is on a giant grid. If AZ cut off the power, it would just be rerouted from somewhere else.

It just ain't gonna happen.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
Riots?? Well, if it did happen, the unarmed liberals in CA are going to find out they were wrong about guns all along...and that they should have armed themselves. Good luck to them.

:lol:

-- John D.
Wait.... who's unarmed? Someone didn't break in, did they??? :uhoh:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Gundude wrote:
Do you really think this will happen? All of the emergency services would be cut off, Businesses closed, Looting, people lives put in jeopardy...on and on and on. All the lawyers in the state would be put to work filing all the lawsuits.

Not to mention that all the electricity is on a giant grid. If AZ cut off the power, it would just be rerouted from somewhere else.

It just ain't gonna happen.
This, and also, as far as I am aware, government has never successfully used its power to completely eliminate a significant market and its entailing market forces.

This is why onerous immigration restrictions will inevitably fail, and why Arizona will never stop selling power to California.

Now, you can all disagree all you like, but we'll just wait and see. In twenty years, I'll have been right, and you'll have been proved wrong.

Can't beat markets. I challenge y'all to prove me wrong. :lol:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
In 20 years you and your neighbors will look like your avatar...unless you and they do already.

-- John D.
Even if I accept that highly contentious conclusion, so what?

I'm confident that American culture will remain dominant, no matter the skin color of those who carry it on.

After all, immigrants remain relegated to the fringes of our society, their ability to have a significant cultural impact (aside from a few Spanish-language radio stations, in an era of near-total radio broadcast irrelevance :quirky) fully dependent on the degree of assimilation which they are willing or capable of undergoing.

A close analysis of the history of the Americas will reveal that race, aside from as a motivator of individual action, has had little to no effect on the outcome of events. The superiority of one culture over another, however, is all-important.

What makes you think that Mexican culture has suddenly become superior to American culture, just because of a few million immigrants? If anything, the sheer number of those immigrants ought to indicate exactly how inferior their society is.

I really fail to see any cause for concern. I'm not about to start speaking Spanish any time soon.

Are you?

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wake up and smell the Kahlua: They aren't 'assimilating,' they never have for the most part. Dust off your old sombrero...you're going to be needing it. American 'culture' (WTHdoes that mean today anyway) almost doesn't exist anymore...sheer numbers of unassimilating foreigners have overwhelmed it. And, our birth rate is so low there is no way to catch up in that regard. They are the Borg, resistence is futile.

Butplease, put on some clean clothes for gosh sakes...your avatar looks like he slept in them for at least a month. But at least you still don'tneed no stinkin' badges.

:)

-- John D.

P.S. OOOOPS! I forgot I wasn't going to respond further to this OT thread...my apologies to all.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
They aren't 'assimilating,' they never have for the most part. Dust off your old sombrero...you're going to be needing it.
I agree that many are failing to assimilate, likely in greater proportions that ought to be expected.

However, this is fully a result of our immigration system's failure to incentivize assimilation among illegal immigrants. In fact, if you study them closely, I think you'll see that the incentives which have been established serve to discourage assimilation, and to encourage an eventual return to the "homeland" (what I might add is a very poor country nobody properly incentivized would ever wish to return to).

These incentives do this by failing to provide legal standing in court (no legitimate dispute-resolution provided), failing to recognize self-defense rights (many immigrants find themselves preyed on by indigenous, usually black, gangs), creating a second-class of non-citizen who is subject to automatically inferior pay, etc etc etc.

Believe it or not, I do have a Resistol, but not a sombrero! ;)

Edit: Oh, yeah, I forgot. As for the point that many aren't assimilating, which I concede: remember, my argument above was that, for illegal immigrants, their degree of cultural impact and relevance is directly proportional to their degree of assimilation.

I say, to the hypothetical illegal "invader": Don't assimilate? Don't expect to have an effect on the dominant American culture, once you've returned to your homeland. ;)

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I bet the federal govt steps in and plays the "commerce clause" card and tells AZ they have no choice but to keep selling power to LA. If AZ still refuses, there will be federal sanctions of some sort (e.g. cutoff of fed funding of pretty much anything).

I almost hope it plays out that way, in hopes AZ will also get a chance to give the feds the finger. Perhaps AZ would in turn threaten to stop allowing the feds to enforce federal income tax law.

States have too long given up too much of their power to the federal govt. We've seen it on gun issues (e.g. Montana, et al, signing laws exempting guns made/sold intrastate from federal law). I'd love to see a more broad "declaration of independence" by a state.

Maybe I have an overactive imagination, but I can see this getting REALLY interesting and soon.

And that's not even considering what LA will do without enough electricity...