• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I know I'll get an argument out of this but what the hell...

Openly carrying where prohibited while Doing something honorable

• Good idea, won't be effective.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would be willing to join in

• I wouldn't do it but I'd like to see others involved.

• You'll make us look crazy!! Don't do it!

• Total voters

DarenGlock23

imported post

Looking for opinions. Don't jump my butt for thinking outside of the box.

Would it be a bad thing to open carry in the smaller areas or even larger areas where it would obviously be useful? I.e. "the bad part of towns"

Maby while doing something helpful like taking donations for a childrens hospital or some charity.

Of course it will, at some point, raise an eye brow and probably end up in an arrest and a fine or something to that affect.

I suppose it's more of an "activist" or dare I say it "extremist" manner of getting our cause noticed.

I'm sure Many will see it as bad media or careless portrail of what were striving for.

I've accidently open carried in areas where it was not allowed and even though ignorance is no excuse of the law, since in missouri open carry is legal and only illegal in municipality they just slapped my hands and wagged their finger and sent me on my way. Probably won't happen every time I'm sure.

Only looking for opinion not for everyone to yell at me for thinking outside the box. Only with much support would I, and my bank account, follow through.

dieseltech

imported post

IMO, you have the right to defend yourself where ever you are. When municipalities make open carry illegal, it's unconstitutional and that cannot be denied as it's in both the U.S. Constitution and Missouri Constitution. If you get arrested, you will of course have to take the issue to court and probably appeal it to the State Supreme Court. I feel that people should open carry every where and refuse to do business to places that don't allow open carry. Good luck with your endeavor.

Carnivore

imported post

If ya want to test the waters, I wouldn't OC ... but the BIG BIG Susan G. Komen foundation race for the cure is hitting St. Louis in a week or so, that would be a good time and place to flag thousands of Women with the simple reminder that they are responsible for their safety more so than the police.

HEY LADIES you've met one of the biggest threats to womens health in the world, and beat it !! Here's the cure for the next potentially biggest threat to womens health.. ARM YOURSELF !! Vote in Missouri full preemption open carry law!

When Mom speaks everybody listens!

DarenGlock23

imported post

That's how I feel. I think all of America should be free to open carry. I don't disagree with the ccw laws, I wouldn't want some random guy packin that I'd want to avoid normally but wouldn't because he's concealed.

I'm not saying I AM doing this. Just a thought... Thanks for the input!

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

DarenGlock23 wrote:
Ohh it would be a great audiance. But you said not to oc while promoting. I'm talking oc anyways...
Perhaps you guys are forgetting "the million mom march" which was specifically targeted gun control.

Often times the message sent is not the message received, while it might seem your message is one of protection, what gets talked about is they carry guns openly on the street and force us to regulate it, they think it is the wild west.

Do I agree with them, no.
Do I know they put out extensive efforts in the past to restrict our rights, yes.
Do I want them to do that again, no.
Do I think the open carry displays are working for the good of rights, yes.
Do I think that could turn on us far faster than many would like, possibly.
Are we in the right position for a state wide blanket law, not right now.

Two years running MO gun laws have fallen flat for us, firing up the anti's could shift things the other way.

I would refrain from more than the outings that are going on now and the rallies, if it gets too "in your face" the antis may organize efforts that take us further into the darkness of restricted rights.

This is not the right opinion, the wrong opinion, just my opinion, you asked for it, you got it, evaluate it for the merit you see fit.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

DarenGlock23 wrote:
I think all of America should be free to open carry. I don't disagree with the ccw laws, I wouldn't want some random guy packin that I'd want to avoid normally but wouldn't because he's concealed.

I'd like to get your view clearly.

Do youbelieve that CCW laws, with respect to their qualifying restrictions, are OK but that there should be no qualifying restrictions on open carry?

Carnivore

imported post

LMTD wrote:
DarenGlock23 wrote:
Ohh it would be a great audiance. But you said not to oc while promoting. I'm talking oc anyways...
Perhaps you guys are forgetting "the million mom march" which was specifically targeted gun control.

Often times the message sent is not the message received, while it might seem your message is one of protection, what gets talked about is they carry guns openly on the street and force us to regulate it, they think it is the wild west.

Do I agree with them, no.
Do I know they put out extensive efforts in the past to restrict our rights, yes.
Do I want them to do that again, no.
Do I think the open carry displays are working for the good of rights, yes.
Do I think that could turn on us far faster than many would like, possibly.
Are we in the right position for a state wide blanket law, not right now.

Two years running MO gun laws have fallen flat for us, firing up the anti's could shift things the other way.

I would refrain from more than the outings that are going on now and the rallies, if it gets too "in your face" the antis may organize efforts that take us further into the darkness of restricted rights.

This is not the right opinion, the wrong opinion, just my opinion, you asked for it, you got it, evaluate it for the merit you see fit.
Tell us more about the outings and rallies that are taking place right now in Missouri .

Superlite27

imported post

You see, There's this one small problem I notice with this poll:

Openly carrying where prohibited

Do you see the tiny little word "prohibited" in this phrase? I do.

Maybe you could explain how completely disregarding a prohibition illustrates howtrustworthy and law abiding weall are? To me,it seems sort ofof like demonstrating how peaceful you are by punching people inthe face.

What seems to be the problem with OC'ing in areas where it's not prohibited? The areas where it's allowed far outnumber the areas where it is prohibited. Why not be highly visible while OC'ing inthe thousands upon thousands of places it's perfectly fine and legal, rather than risk arrest, detention, loss of permit (if you have one), encounters, and the possibility of pointing out lack of responsibilityby OC'ersby disregarding the "rules"in the relatively few areas where OC is prohibited?

I thought the purpose of OC was to educate the public on how normal everyday citizens are responsible and trustworthy to carry firearms?

How does thumbing our noses at the rules accomplish this?

Now as for your question about OC'ing in areas that are a little more "socially unacceptable" to do so, (i.e. "bad parts of town") I agree. As long as these areas are not "prohibited". However, I believe volume is a goal to strive for.

As one of my favorite lines from O' Brother Where art Thou: "We're not one-at-a-time-in' you numskull! We're MASS communicatin'!"

The more everyday people who see us out doing normal things while armed, the more OC will be accepted. Rather than pack through bad areas where A) The chance of actually needing my firearm B) The chance of a negative encounter with law enforcement, and C) Relatively few people will see, much less accept it seems like a bad trade off to me.

I'd much rather OC in areas that are 1) Highly visible like malls, retail businesses, restaraunts, and public areas like sidewalks, parks, and parking lots, 2) Places where everyday people expect to see other everyday people doing everyday activities 3) Places where police will be uncomfortable (as opposed to likely) detaining me in public.

If I'm in a dark alley, cops might say, "Wait just a minute. Let's check this out."Anyone seeing this probably wouldn't bat an eye.However, if I'm sitting in a Barnes and Noble, the close scrutiny of 20 other customerswatching the encounter with rapt attention whilethey interrogatea calm and rational citizen for being armedwhile peacefully reading a book might be a little different.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
You see, There's this one small problem I notice with this poll:

Openly carrying where prohibited

Do you see the tiny little word "prohibited" in this phrase? I do.

I think he's thinking a civil disobedience kind of context.

Do the crime, accept the charge/punishment.

For an ideological premise and a political gain.

Big Boy

imported post

If it's against the law there don't do it.

You've said pretty much two different things in your OP. Carry in a bad part of town? Absolutely, why wouldn't I? My gun is for self defense.

Carrying somewhere, where that municipality has made it illegal? No. It's against the law, don't do it. Send as many letters, and do as many open holster rallies as you want, but if it is illegal to carry the firearm then, don't carry the friggin firearm.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Carnivore wrote:
Tell us more about the outings and rallies that are taking place right now in Missouri .
One just took place April 8th of this year.

There is one This Saturday may 22nd in Union mo, along with a gun show:

The date is Sat. MAy 22nd.

Even if you can't make it out PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE support Brian Nieves for State Senate by SENDING A CHECK to: Citizens for Nieves, PO Box 1026, Washington,MO 63090!!! No amount is too small & all contributions are appreciated!
Brian Nieves is a REPUBLICAN
"Pit-Bull" CONSTITUTIONALIST, He's Pro-Life/Pro-Family, He'...s a Fiscal
Conservative, an ULTRA 2nd Amendment "Gun Nut", a 10 Year Navy Veteran, And... a Great Patriot
seeking your vote for the 26th Senatorial district!
VOTE AUGUST 3rd in the Republican Primary!

There are others and one must never ever forget the one November 3rd where anyone whom cares should head to the polls and make their voice HEARD loud and clear.

Again, I have said it on this board before, I firmly believe the change we seek is going to happen at the legislative branch, not judicial. While I understand the court of popular opinion as well, I offer that any lawyer will tell you, you never really can be sure what that jury is going to bring back, the jury that is public opinion has a history against the 2a rights of others, influencing them in a positive way is not so easy as using logice, history clearly shows that.