Thread: Detroit News - Open carriers come to city hall in Taylor, MI

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...ban-draws-foes

SNIP

Taylor[/i] -- Proponents of a state law that allows a person to carry a firearm that's holstered and within plain sight stood up for their Second Amendment rights in a city that prohibits guns openly in public.

About 20 gun rights advocates said they object to a city ordinance that bans handguns carried openly in public in the city.

"All we're doing is following the law like were supposed to be doing. We're law-abiding citizens," said Scott Webb, a member of Michigan Open Carry Inc., who attended a City Council meeting with his black semiautomatic strapped to his khakis on his right hip.

. . .

Post imported post

Nice picture!!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    Nice picture!!
    And that was just one side of the meeting room. There were OC'ers on the other side, and some of us in the seats.

Great turnout!
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    Nice picture!!
    +1

Post imported post

Good Deal!

Definately, +1 for Michigan Open Carry Organization and The Law-abiding Citizens of Taylor, Michigan!

Post imported post

A majority of Americans oppose people carrying loaded guns openly in public, according to a recent poll conducted for the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...#ixzz0oObOwZ9I
    I lol'd. At least they sourced it. Also:

"I understand their concerns, and I'm certainly not opposed to anybody's Second Amendment rights," said Lamarand, who has a license to carry a concealed weapon. But, he said, "We don't want parents, children, residents afraid to come to council meetings."
    For those that where there, did anyone run out screaming holding their kids?

Post imported post

the only time ive EVER seen kids running around screaming in the presence of OC'ers is when we are at a park,and the kids arent running away in terror....they are merely playing with other kids.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Post imported post

Not one and the Chief of Police & I were standing next to the door the whole time.

Sefner wrote:
    A majority of Americans oppose people carrying loaded guns openly in public, according to a recent poll conducted for the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...#ixzz0oObOwZ9I
    I lol'd. At least they sourced it. Also:

"I understand their concerns, and I'm certainly not opposed to anybody's Second Amendment rights," said Lamarand, who has a license to carry a concealed weapon. But, he said, "We don't want parents, children, residents afraid to come to council meetings."
    For those that where there, did anyone run out screaming holding their kids?
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Post imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
    the only time ive EVER seen kids running around screaming in the presence of OC'ers is when we are at a park,and the kids arent running away in terror....they are merely playing with other kids.
    This is because Kid's in general are better humans than adults. They don't make snap judgments, they only react to how you treat them. Wish we all could take a page from their book
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

I love it!!!! Great job!!!!!

I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

Nice picture, great job! I am sure they know it is legal to open carry they just do that so they think they can make people think it is illegal. They knew if police arrested anybody for OC'ing then they would be facing big lawsuits.

Post imported post

Does Michigan have preemption laws? BTW Nice Job! I'm orginally from Lincoln Park, but down here in Alabama now fighting the OC fight.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

Dianosis wrote:
    Does Michigan have preemption laws? BTW Nice Job! I'm orginally from Lincoln Park, but down here in Alabama now fighting the OC fight.
    Yes the state has preempted firearm laws. So local municipalities can not enact more strict gun laws.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

[/quote]

I hope that some of you in Michigan have written to the Detroit News. This poll is an absolute fraud.

The polling group is a liberal Democratic front group that does advocacy polling.

Celinda Lake
    President

Follow Celinda's postings on The Huffington Post, and friend Celinda on Facebook.

Celinda Lake is one of the Democratic Party's leading political strategists, serving as tactician and senior advisor to the national party committees, dozens of Democratic incumbents, and challengers at all levels of the electoral process. Celinda and her firm are known for cutting-edge research on issues including the economy, health care, the environment and education, and have worked for a number of institutions including the Democratic National Committee (DNC), the Democratic Governor's Association (DGA), The White House Project, AFL-CIO, SEIU, CWA, IAFF, Sierra Club, NARAL, Human Rights Campaign, EMILY's List and the Kaiser Family Foundation. Her work has also taken her to advise fledgling democratic parties in several post-war Eastern European countries, including Bosnia, and South Africa. In 2008, Celinda worked as pollster for Vice President Biden.

http://www.lakeresearch.com/people/president.asp

Live Free or Die!