• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detroit News - Open carriers come to city hall in Taylor, MI

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100519/METRO01/5190359/1409/Taylor-gun-ban-draws-foes

SNIP

Taylor[/i] -- Proponents of a state law that allows a person to carry a firearm that's holstered and within plain sight stood up for their Second Amendment rights in a city that prohibits guns openly in public.

About 20 gun rights advocates said they object to a city ordinance that bans handguns carried openly in public in the city.

"All we're doing is following the law like were supposed to be doing. We're law-abiding citizens," said Scott Webb, a member of Michigan Open Carry Inc., who attended a City Council meeting with his black semiautomatic strapped to his khakis on his right hip.

. . .

aadvark

imported post

Good Deal!

Definately, +1 for Michigan Open Carry Organization and The Law-abiding Citizens of Taylor, Michigan!

Sefner

imported post

A majority of Americans oppose people carrying loaded guns openly in public, according to a recent poll conducted for the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100519/METRO01/5190359/1409/Taylor-gun-ban-draws-foes#ixzz0oObOwZ9I

I lol'd. At least they sourced it. Also:

"I understand their concerns, and I'm certainly not opposed to anybody's Second Amendment rights," said Lamarand, who has a license to carry a concealed weapon. But, he said, "We don't want parents, children, residents afraid to come to council meetings."
For those that where there, did anyone run out screaming holding their kids?

lil_freak_66

imported post

the only time ive EVER seen kids running around screaming in the presence of OC'ers is when we are at a park,and the kids arent running away in terror....they are merely playing with other kids.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Not one and the Chief of Police & I were standing next to the door the whole time.
:D

Sefner wrote:
A majority of Americans oppose people carrying loaded guns openly in public, according to a recent poll conducted for the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100519/METRO01/5190359/1409/Taylor-gun-ban-draws-foes#ixzz0oObOwZ9I

I lol'd. At least they sourced it. Also:

"I understand their concerns, and I'm certainly not opposed to anybody's Second Amendment rights," said Lamarand, who has a license to carry a concealed weapon. But, he said, "We don't want parents, children, residents afraid to come to council meetings."
For those that where there, did anyone run out screaming holding their kids?

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
the only time ive EVER seen kids running around screaming in the presence of OC'ers is when we are at a park,and the kids arent running away in terror....they are merely playing with other kids.

This is because Kid's in general are better humans than adults. They don't make snap judgments, they only react to how you treat them. Wish we all could take a page from their book :cry:

cm2624

imported post

Nice picture, great job! I am sure they know it is legal to open carry they just do that so they think they can make people think it is illegal. They knew if police arrested anybody for OC'ing then they would be facing big lawsuits.

Dianosis

imported post

Does Michigan have preemption laws? BTW Nice Job! I'm orginally from Lincoln Park, but down here in Alabama now fighting the OC fight.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Dianosis wrote:
Does Michigan have preemption laws? BTW Nice Job! I'm orginally from Lincoln Park, but down here in Alabama now fighting the OC fight.
Yes the state has preempted firearm laws. So local municipalities can not enact more strict gun laws.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

[/quote]

I hope that some of you in Michigan have written to the Detroit News. This poll is an absolute fraud.

The polling group is a liberal Democratic front group that does advocacy polling.

Celinda Lake
President

Follow Celinda's postings on The Huffington Post, and friend Celinda on Facebook.

Celinda Lake is one of the Democratic Party's leading political strategists, serving as tactician and senior advisor to the national party committees, dozens of Democratic incumbents, and challengers at all levels of the electoral process. Celinda and her firm are known for cutting-edge research on issues including the economy, health care, the environment and education, and have worked for a number of institutions including the Democratic National Committee (DNC), the Democratic Governor's Association (DGA), The White House Project, AFL-CIO, SEIU, CWA, IAFF, Sierra Club, NARAL, Human Rights Campaign, EMILY's List and the Kaiser Family Foundation. Her work has also taken her to advise fledgling democratic parties in several post-war Eastern European countries, including Bosnia, and South Africa. In 2008, Celinda worked as pollster for Vice President Biden.

http://www.lakeresearch.com/people/president.asp