• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Age to Open Carry in Maine?

souders

imported post

Im 17 years old and I own a glock 22, and am a resident of rural Maine. Because Maine's law does not specify an age to open carry, does that mean I can legally open carry?

daddy4count

imported post

If you post this in the Maine forum you might get a quicker response...

Here in WA you have to be 21 to own a handgun... so the age to carry is the same.

There is a loophole whereby an adult can buy you a handgun after you turn 18 but you have to keep it unloaded and locked away unless you are using it at a gun club or range... or something to that effect.

vegasche1023

imported post

daddy4count wrote:
If you post this in the Maine forum you might get a quicker response...

Here in WA you have to be 21 to own a handgun... so the age to carry is the same.

There is a loophole whereby an adult can buy you a handgun after you turn 18 but you have to keep it unloaded and locked away unless you are using it at a gun club or range... or something to that effect.

Actually you have to be 18 to own handguns in Washington or anywhere in the US for that matter(Federal law supersedes state law)

daddy4count

imported post

Perhaps the letter of the law states that you can own one... but if the state catches you in POSSESSION of a handgun under the age of 21 they will prosecute... and have many times in the past.

vegasche1023

imported post

daddy4count wrote:
Perhaps the letter of the law states that you can own one... but if the state catches you in POSSESSION of a handgun under the age of 21 they will prosecute... and have many times in the past.

When you say possession I assume you mean outside of your home?

daddy4count

imported post

Yes, in your home (and in most cases on your property) you can pretty much do what you want.

Though I imagine aiming out you window at passers by would still be frowned upon...

In possession of a handgun, under 21, can mean trouble. Unless you are at or on your way to or from a place designated for use of the firearm, and it is unloaded and locked away.

Long guns used to be different, age to purchase was 18, but I'm not sure if the state has imposed similar constraints on rifles...

Personally I think you should be able to do everything at 18. If you can vote and deffend this country then you should also be able to drink beer and carry a handgun. Though maybe at different times... ;)

vegasche1023

imported post

soudersG22 wrote:
Im 17 years old and I own a glock 22, and am a resident of rural Maine. Because Maine's law does not specify an age to open carry, does that mean I can legally open carry?

From what I gather from reading Maine Statutes, YES YOU CAN(put you can't carry loaded in a car). IANAL and am not giving legal advice. you should try calling the sheriff's dept.

daddy4count

imported post

I am also not a lawyer... but common sense would dictate that if it is legal for gun owners to open carry where you live... and you are a legal gun owner... then it follows that you would be legal to carry said gun.

daddy4count

imported post

I don't know it off the top of my head...

I have recently read news articles of sub-21 year olds being arrested for possession of loaded firearms.

The state statutes that I have read typically refer to a person "18 years of age or older who is in legal possession of..."

but there is no definition of what legal possession is for a person under age... at least that I have found... but I have not read every page...

So it is likely open to local interpretation.

It is illegal here to carry a loaded gun in your car if you aren't licensed to CC

daddy4count

imported post

Here you go...

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.240

Statute RCW 9.41.240

Posession of a Pistol by Persons 18 to 21 years

Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies, a person at least eighteen years of age, but less than twenty-one years of age, may possess a pistol only:

(1) In the person's place of abode;

(2) At the person's fixed place of business; or

(3) On real property under his or her control.

jay75009

imported post

i would call the ATF beareau in maine 207-780-3324 and ask directly.

Maines law states you must be 21 to purchase a handgun through FFL *federally licensed dealer* and 18 to purchase a firearm through a private sale with ID.

Maines law also states you can carry a handgun and be accepted for a CCW at the age of 18.

however federal law states that transfering a pistol to anyone under legal age is a felony. meaning if you OC and it turns out to be illegal, not only will you be arrested and fined, so will your parents.

seeing as your 17 it is a very important question in your case that you NEED to find the legal deffinition before you actually attempt it.

either call a good lawyer and ask or contact the ATF :) but dont try it untill you do buddy :) good luck

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

He's 18 now and we covered his bases through PM's. You can legally carry at any age in Maine, but whoever gave you the firearm or "transferred" it to you can and probably will get into some serious trouble. So... just be 18 to carry openly or concealed with a permit. Of course it doesn't really make sense that you can purchase a handgun private sale at 18, but you need to be 21 to purchase one through a FFL dealer.

Hendu024

imported post

jay75009 wrote:

Maines law states you must be 21 to purchase a handgun through FFL *federally licensed dealer* and 18 to purchase a firearm through a private sale with ID.

Maines law also states you can carry a handgun and be accepted for a CCW at the age of 18.

however federal law states that transfering a pistol to anyone under legal age is a felony. meaning if you OC and it turns out to be illegal, not only will you be arrested and fined, so will your parents.

seeing as your 17 it is a very important question in your case that you NEED to find the legal deffinition before you actually attempt it.

either call a good lawyer and ask or contact the ATF :) but dont try it untill you do buddy :) good luck
any cites to all these laws you are stating?

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Hendu024 wrote:
jay75009 wrote:

any cites to all these laws you are stating?
Unlawful transfer of a handgun to a minor: http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/17-A/title17-Asec554-B.html

Age to get a permit to carry concealed: http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/25/title25sec2003.html

souders

imported post

Hey guys, im 18 now woot! Thanks for all the info, it wasent necessarily for practically it just seemed like an interestingly worded law that I wanted to clarify..Thanks :)

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
Why did anyone respond to this cat? direct him to the MAPS page.

http://opencarry.org/age.html
because his question portrayed that he had already viewed that map and was asking more specifically to double check and see if the map is right... As it stands if you listen to that you can get into some hot water. Yes OC is legal at any age in Maine, but you can't have a handgun transferred to you except for a few specific purposes unless you are eighteen.