• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"I have a permit, but why are you carrying a gun?"

Deanimator

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
I've got a coworker who's like that. He wants to get a gun again, but he doesn't want to carry it (openly or concealed). He said he used to have a CHP, but let it expire. He believes it's actually more dangerous to carry a gun.
Ask him to name one person at Virginia Tech who survived because they DIDN'T have a gun.

zack991

imported post

"One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not agree that 'violence begets violence.' I told him that it is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure — and in some cases I have — that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy."

Jeff coopers

"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language." Clint smith

For us "Gun collectors" ;)

"It is a lesson of history that it is ethically, morally, and philosophically impossible to have too many personal weapons, whether they be edged, impact or projectile."
- David W. Loeffler

6L6GC

imported post

groats wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
I suspect people who make these outlandish statements enjoy the perceived vaulted level of moral superiority they believe they project. They think that by them making these types of statements, they elevate themselves above the "masses".
This is the point where I say "If you wouldn't protect a child, you are subhuman" and walk away. Nothing disgusts me more.
EXACTLY. I'm glad you mentioned that. We once had a lady over visiting who asked in a loud snobbish insulting tone of voice how that I could carry a gun around kids. (Her intention was to embarass me in front of everybody else). My reply: MY kids are worth defending. Her countenance fell. I turned and walked away

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

6L6GC wrote:
groats wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
I suspect people who make these outlandish statements enjoy the perceived vaulted level of moral superiority they believe they project. They think that by them making these types of statements, they elevate themselves above the "masses".
This is the point where I say "If you wouldn't protect a child, you are subhuman" and walk away. Nothing disgusts me more.
EXACTLY. I'm glad you mentioned that. We once had a lady over visiting who asked in a loud snobbish insulting tone of voice how that I could carry a gun around kids. (Her intention was to embarass me in front of everybody else). My reply: MY kids are worth defending. Her countenance fell. I turned and walked away
Great answer! You could also have offered something similar such as...

"Perhaps you don't care to protect your children... I do."

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

open4years wrote:
I saw a friend today at Walmart. He said: "Why are you carrying a gun?"
I replied: "To exercise my 2nd amendment right and to p--s off Obama."
He said: "I have a permit too, but why are you carrying a gun?"

I said: "Its like a seatbelt; You never know when you'll need it."
He nodded and walked away, but I could see that he was still confused.
Frankly, I was confused too. Why would a permit holder not understand one carrying a gun? I was openly carrying, but he didn't address that. What could else could I have said in a short time frame?

Ya know, I'm thinking that possibly your friend just wanted to know YOUR reasoning for carrying. Perhaps he wanted to know if the 2 of you were thinking alike.

I mean, it doesn't make much sense for a permit holder (he obviously carries himself) to query someone else for carrying a side arm.