• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who needs a gun in rural, low-crime areas?

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This is right near where my mother and brother live, I'm sure many of you have heard about it but I decided to post it anyway.

http://www.channel3000.com/recreation/23600431/detail.html

Kinda funny that the DNR totally disavowed the existance of big cats in Wisconsin just a few years ago when people; my mom included, said they saw them. "Naw, they're just house cats and people think they are further away than they are". Right

When asked the other day why I was carrying on my property I replied: "I live alone in the middle of nowhere, if that isn't enough, there are wolves, bears, cougars........any more questions"?

BerettaFS92Custom

imported post

what would happen if you were out walking your dog and the couhar started to advance towards you and your pet? could you legally shoot to kill and not get fined or are we supposed to call the Department Of No Results and wait until they arrive to do something? Just curious on what the legality of this is .,...

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BerettaFS92Custom wrote:
what would happen if you were out walking your dog and the couhar started to advance towards you and your pet? could you legally shoot to kill and not get fined or are we supposed to call the Department Of No Results and wait until they arrive to do something? Just curious on what the legality of this is .,...

"Its comming right for us!" comes to mind..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE5pGeCUM-Y

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BerettaFS92Custom wrote:
Cougars are beautiful animals - I am a wildlife lover, some here know that...but if your going to be attacked & killed by a cougar..then draw your pistol and fire........F the DNR.....The Cops would kill it, why can't you. a cougar can kill a man inside of 30 seconds.

M

McX

imported post

threats come in all shapes and sizes, all manners of kind, rural, or city, or in between. survival is the choice we make. incidentally; the dinosaurs are extinct because they were delicious.:cool:

Captain Nemo

imported post

I saw a cougar one. It scared me so bad it was almost more than I could bear. To calm my nerves I had to rush to McDonald's and Wolf down a burger. Oh deer me that was bad.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Glock34 wrote:
BerettaFS92Custom wrote:
Cougars are beautiful animals - I am a wildlife lover, some here know that...but if your going to be attacked & killed by a cougar..then draw your pistol and fire........F the DNR.....The Cops would kill it, why can't you. a cougar can kill a man inside of 30 seconds.
It's head looks too small for that big body! But a very pretty animal.

I would also think that if one was coming near you...not full out running for you...a couple of warning shots would probably scare it off.

B

bhancock

imported post

Crime is not restricted to urban areas. If faced with a lunatic at my home, the tested response time from the sheriff department is around 35 minutes if they hurry. Then there are also the night time predators on the chicken coop that just don't listen when you say "wait here while I go get my shotgun to dispatch you". They are darn hard to find in the dark if you give them a head start. My wife once nearly beat a skunk to death with a 2x4 while I fetched the gun and put him out of his misery, but she ended up smelling pretty badly. Now we won't have that problem.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

BerettaFS92Custom wrote:
what would happen if you were out walking your dog and the couhar started to advance towards you and your pet? could you legally shoot to kill and not get fined
Since the DNR refuses to admit they exist in Wisconsin, so you shoot it and state that the animaldoes notexist. I bet they agree with you.

I Presque Isle (up by me) Cougar sightings were very common, the DNR denied them existing for years and years, then one finally got hit by a car, What was the next thing out of the DNR's piehole?
it must have been an escaped illegal pet!

Landose_theghost

imported post

Y'know I was almost attacked by a cougar last year, luckily my uncles 5 dogs scared that mother off! But after the fact I called the sheriff and they showed up and said that I'm lucky I didn't fire on the animal because it's a "protected" species. He also said warning shots should do the job (yea rite), and that the only way I could shoot the animal is if I was actualy physicly "being" attacked.:banghead:IMHO, if I ever see another one of those overgrown furniture wreckers again while I'm OC'n, It's either me or him, and while mr kitty's got 16 claws and teeth, I've got 8 rounds of .45 JHP's for em!

B

bhancock

imported post

One was just sighted last week about 2-3 miles from my home. This is on the edge of a 400 acre county forest that I hike often with my grandsons age 2 and 4. Even before this sighting I felt more secure while OC'ing there this year. One swipe from a cat like that could kill either one of them, there will be no waiting if one presents itself. Just because it sees you and leaves does not mean it is done hunting you. Many years ago (60-70's)my father worked in the Black River State Forest and had more than one sighting or confrontation with what he called mountain lions, he also evaded a few curious bears during those years. He never was attacked but he did have one of the cats pause and size him up, it left and so did he. Even at that time he usually carried a small caliber sidearm to dispatch snakes and coyote.

Nutczak

imported post

Large cats will typically grab you at the base of the skull from behind, you'll never see or hear it coming before you got fangs in your neck.

I was watching a show where African Natives would wear a mask backwards on their head to try and confuse the cats, apparently it worked for a little while until the large cats figured it out.

Cobbersmom

imported post

Nut, do you remember the cougar sighting up on Big Arb about 10 yrs. ago? Supposedly some off duty cop or something saw it so the DNR considered it legit, but said it must have been someones pet.
Dang, I've worked for both vets in town and never once had a cougar come in for shots!

Nutczak

imported post

Cobbersmom wrote:
Nut, do you remember the cougar sighting up on Big Arb about 10 yrs. ago? Supposedly some off duty cop or something saw it so the DNR considered it legit, but said it must have been someones pet.
Dang, I've worked for both vets in town and never once had a cougar come in for shots!
If I remember correctly, it was right around opening weekend for fishing, right?

Between you and me, We have a huge herd ofCoyote's hanging around, I saw one come out of your property just a few days ago chasing a small rabbit across the street. I even stopped so he could grab his little snack of fresh bunny with getting run over.
I have yet to "see" any, or any sign from large cats though. But I swear I hear them once in a while.

Cobbersmom

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
If I remember correctly, it was right around opening weekend for fishing, right?
Between you and me, We have a huge herd ofCoyote's hanging around, I saw one come out of your property just a few days ago chasing a small rabbit across the street. I even stopped so he could grab his little snack of fresh bunny with getting run over.
I have yet to "see" any, or any sign from large cats though. But I swear I hear them once in a while.
Aw, you got to see my pet coyote!!! Was wondering where the bunnies were disappearing to. When I sleep with the windows open, I can hear them howling at night.
Either when I have a carcass from hunting or fresh road kill, I drag it down to the lake and over the years have attracted quite a following. Caught the coyote on a critter cam once. Lucky you to have seen him!
Note to self: sneak over to Nuts house after dark and play big cat calls on my portable recorder.

Nutczak

imported post

Cobbersmom wrote:
Nutczak wrote:
Aw, you got to see my pet coyote!!! Was wondering where the bunnies were disappearing to. When I sleep with the windows open, I can hear them howling at night.
Either when I have a carcass from hunting or fresh road kill, I drag it down to the lake and over the years have attracted quite a following. Caught the coyote on a critter cam once. Lucky you to have seen him!
Note to self: sneak over to Nuts house after dark and play big cat calls on my portable recorder.
I keep the yotes fat and happy myself, I toss our pig-roast leftovers in the wooded area on our property for them, they will usually thank us by singing all night.
Before I got my 2nd shepherd, we had yotes bring fresh kills to the porch as gifts to our femal shepherd, once the big guy was brought home, they decided to quit.
They would come right up to the bedroom window and whine to get her attention, she would stand at the window wagging her tail and yipping at them like they were best friends.
I would have 3-4 chipmunks stacked nicely every morning on the porch.

Cobbersmom

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
I keep the yotes fat and happy myself, I toss our pig-roast leftovers in the wooded area on our property for them, they will usually thank us by singing all night.
Before I got my 2nd shepherd, we had yotes bring fresh kills to the porch as gifts to our femal shepherd, once the big guy was brought home, they decided to quit.
They would come right up to the bedroom window and whine to get her attention, she would stand at the window wagging her tail and yipping at them like they were best friends.
I would have 3-4 chipmunks stacked nicely every morning on the porch.
If I hadn't seen that type of behavior myself, I wouldn't have believed you. But, I used to have pet silver foxes here and of course, the neighborhood wild ones. One of the wild ones made friends with Echo and would visit outside her cage. She would grab mouthfuls of dog food and drop it outside the chain link for the wild one.
Um, if you see me running around your woods, I might be fighting off the coyotes for the leftovers!