• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who needs a gun in rural, low-crime areas?

Yooper

imported post

This cracks me up... For years the Michigan DNR said there was no mountain lions in Michigan, and then when someone had verifiable evidence of one in one of the counties that borders Wisconsin, the DNR said "it must have wandered in from Wisconsin"

So, the MI DNR says there's none in the U.P., and any that are spotted, are probably just wanderers from Wisconsin. Then the WI DNR, says there's none in WI.

Must be teleporting around I guess

Packer fan

imported post

I heard acougar or what I thought was acougar back when I was a teenager in Green County. I have never heard anything like it before or since.

The sound was as a woman screaming. It made my buddy's andmy hair stand on end and we called the Sheriff thinking that a woman was being raped in the woods that was about a quarter mile form the house. They surrounded the woods and used spotlights but didn't see anything. They came to the door and said that it may have been a cougar.

I don't know if it was but it was the strangest sound.

duckdog

imported post

That would probably have been a lynx. Kind of far south, but that's what they sound like when they making noise.

I've heard it over the years and your right, it'll make you take a look to see what it is.

Packer fan

imported post

duckdog wrote:
That would probably have been a lynx.  Kind of far south, but that's what they sound like when they making noise.

I've heard it over the years and your right, it'll make you take a look to see what it is.

But according to the DNR at the time there weren't supposed to be any Bobcats, Lynx or Cougars in the area, but I know what I heard and haven't even been able to find the same sound on the internet.

It's not unique to Wisconsin DNR. Here in Northern Arkansas there aren't supposed to be any Cougars either but many people have seen them and a person I work with took a picture of one carrying a buck. It was taken with a trail camera at night.