• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Age limit to OC?

boyscout399

imported post

I am not a lawyer. Call a lawyer to confirm that it is allowed.

I do not see anything in the statutes that prohibits you from carrying openly. However, there is the issue of unlawful transfer of a handgun to a minor. http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/17-A/title17-Asec554-B.html

If I'm reading it right whoever gives you the handgun is breaking the law. Technically you are not breaking the law being in possession of the firearm, but whoever gave you the firearm is gonna get in trouble.

So I would not recommend carrying until you're 18. You legally can't yet own a glock. Sorry.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

soudersG22 wrote:
Hello, I am 17 years old and I live in a rather rural part of Maine. From the information that I have reviewed as far as laws are concerned, I have found nothing stating a specific age in order to open carry. Does this mean that I can legally open carry my glock?
Why do you want to carry a gun?

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Hank... you need to stop being a troll, especially in the Maine forum. People are already tired of your babble everywhere else, please don't bring your nonsense to my section of the forum. Thanks. There is no need for him to answer that question. I'm only 19, yet I carry everywhere that it is legal for me to.

Of course like boyscout said according to the statute it's better if you don't until your 18. But hey, ask a lawyer!

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

boyscout399 wrote:
If I'm reading it right whoever gives you the handgun is breaking the law. Technically you are not breaking the law being in possession of the firearm, but whoever gave you the firearm is gonna get in trouble.

So I would not recommend carrying until you're 18. You legally can't yet own a glock. Sorry.

Too late, BS399.

According to your analysis (duly qualified as not a lawyer's) someone has already violated the law. He already owns a GLOCK:

soudersG22 wrote:
Im 17 years old and I own a glock 22, and am a resident of rural Maine. Because Maine's law does not specify an age to open carry, does that mean I can legally open carry?

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

HankT wrote:
boyscout399 wrote:

Too late, BS399.

According to your analysis (duly qualified as not a lawyer's) someone has already violated the law. He already owns a GLOCK:

soudersG22 wrote:
Im 17 years old and I own a glock 22, and am a resident of rural Maine. Because Maine's law does not specify an age to open carry, does that mean I can legally open carry?
The denotion of "his glock" I'm sure is in reference to his fathers glock that he goes shooting with and probably outshoots his father with it. It's not necessarily denoting actual physical possession. When you were 16 did you ever call your fathers car "your car" in reference to looking at it in the parking lot? Exactly.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

shanebelanger wrote:
HankT wrote:
boyscout399 wrote:

Too late, BS399.

soudersG22 wrote:
The denotion of "his glock" I'm sure is in reference to his fathers glock that he goes shooting with and probably outshoots his father with it.

1. SB, how are you "sure" that that's it?

2. Does the father have any other guns that SG22 owns, uh, carries, uh, shoots, uh, you know what I mean?

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

HankT wrote:
shanebelanger wrote:
HankT wrote:
boyscout399 wrote:

Too late, BS399.

soudersG22 wrote:
The denotion of "his glock" I'm sure is in reference to his fathers glock that he goes shooting with and probably outshoots his father with it.

2. Does the father have any other guns that SG22 owns, uh, carries, uh, shoots, uh, you know what I mean?
What I'm sure of is that you have absolutely no place on this forum and I have absolutely no idea why you aren't banned yet?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

shanebelanger wrote:
HankT wrote:
shanebelanger wrote:
HankT wrote:
boyscout399 wrote:

Too late, BS399.

soudersG22 wrote:

What I'm sure of is that you have absolutely no place on this forum and I have absolutely no idea why you aren't banned yet?

So, you're not really too too "sure" anymore that SG22 is saying his dad's gun is something SG22 "owns?"

I take the man at his word. He said: "Im 17 years old and I own a glock 22..."

He was pretty clear, SB.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Nothing is clear except what is being read into it by others. This is something the OP alone can answer.

Whether or not he even posts again, remains to be seen.

Until then, I suggest this be shelved.

Yata hey