• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Obeying the laws - Still consequences!!!

FedFirefighter

imported post

I am just wondering if there is anything else that can be done when you live in an open carry friendly state (Alabama) and have done your homework, know the statutes and case laws, responsibly OC and still get threatened with arrest or loss of your CPL? It seems unless you have a very fat bank account and a connection with a GOOD criminal lawyer, you had best cave to the LEO intimidation and conceal like a good little citizen.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

FedFirefighter wrote:
I am just wondering if there is anything else that can be done when you live in an open carry friendly state (Alabama) and have done your homework, know the statutes and case laws, responsibly OC and still get threatened with arrest or loss of your CPL? It seems unless you have a very fat bank account and a connection with a GOOD criminal lawyer, you had best cave to the LEO intimidation and conceal like a good little citizen.

You nailed it.

I lost my handgun carry permit due to open carry. I have an extremely thick file at several local police agencies, Tennessee Bureau of Investigations, BATFE, Homeland Security and the FBI. The ATF denied my purchase of a silencer on Monday due to this. I've not broken any law and never been arrested or charged with a crime.I served honorably in the military.When someone tells me we are free I laugh.

steveinNEPA

imported post

This was a problem in PA, cops saying that you cant OC etc. Well after a while and a few lawsuits later... The police had an updated MPOETC course(Municipal police officers education and training ) that basically told them among other things that OC is legal and they cant do a DAMN thing about it unless that person is engaged in a criminal act. Its a shame that some other states havent done something similar.

FedFirefighter

imported post

That would be great if LE agencies did something like that, but like you said, without lawsuits it'll never happen. I would love to be the one to bring that one, just not financially feasable. (Pro-Bono?)

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

FedFirefighter wrote:
That would be great if LE agencies did something like that, but like you said, without lawsuits it'll never happen. I would love to be the one to bring that one, just not financially feasable. (Pro-Bono?)
You should be able to find a good pro-gun attorney that would be more than happy to file a civil case against a LEA on contingency. Just make sure you have all YOUR ducks in a row. (voice recordings/witnesses, etc.)

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
FedFirefighter wrote:
You should be able to find a good pro-gun attorney that would be more than happy to file a civil case against a LEA on contingency. Just make sure you have all YOUR ducks in a row. (voice recordings/witnesses, etc.)
Make sure you inform Task Force 16. He'll even go out of his way to inform law enforcement of your activity. If you want more information on this "tattle tell" PM me and I'll forward information I received from from a public information request. Task Force 16 from lobelville likes to email law enforcement about people on this forum.

eye95

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
FedFirefighter wrote:
Make sure you inform Task Force 16. He'll even go out of his way to inform law enforcement of your activity. If you want more information on this "tattle tell" PM me and I'll forward information I received from from a public information request. Task Force 16 from lobelville likes to email law enforcement about people on this forum.
I have no idea what TF16 did (or even if he has done anything). But, I can see what you are doing in the above post--and your actions in that post are despicable.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

eye95 wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
FedFirefighter wrote:
I have no idea what TF16 did (or even if he has done anything). But, I can see what you are doing in the above post--and your actions in that post are despicable.

I have proof that Task Force 16 informs law enforcement of posts on this forum.

Jerry W. Morris, jwmorris1@tds.net from Lobelville Tennessee , Nra member and member of OCDO can tell police what he wants. However, the forum should be made aware of it.

eye95

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
eye95 wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
FedFirefighter wrote:

[personal info deleted], [personal info deleted] from Lobelville Tennessee , Nra member and member of OCDO can tell police what he wants. However, the forum should be made aware of it.
If you feel that a member is behaving inappropriately on this forum, notify the owners. Your personal problems with another poster are of no concern to others.

I would point out that if I were one of the owners, I'd ban you for posting private information (name and email address) about another poster.

Edited to remove personal information in quote. I won't be a party to such despicable behavior.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
eye95 wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
FedFirefighter wrote:

Jerry W. Morris, jwmorris1@tds.net from Lobelville Tennessee , Nra member and member of OCDO can tell police what he wants. However, the forum should be made aware of it.

As of April 1 of this year, there were over 281,000 HCP hoilders in the State of Tennessee. You seem to be the only one we know of that has been having problems with LE. Problems you have intentionally instigated yourself.

I'm sure there is a clenical term in psychology for some one like you, kwik. I just don't know what it is. I have known other people like yourself that are not happy unless they are smack in the middle of some sort of contravercial confrontation. They, as you have, will instigate problems where none exist just to feed whatever self serving desire they suffer from. And then bitch about it when it bites them on the butt, as you are doing. You are no more innocent of bringingproblems upon yourself than I am of being an old white guy.

Yeah, I gave the Davidson County Sheriff the heads up on your plan. I also let John and Mike know that I did so and why. It's not like I violated any code of secrecy here ya know. You DID post your plans on a PUBLIC fourm that ANYONE with a computer and Internet connection can read. That includes City PD's, County Sheriff's dept, State police, FBI, CIA, DHS, Interpol, etc., as well as the attorneies that will be defending the park rangers, BMPD LEO's and the City of Belle Meade and any other entitiies you file a law suit against. I suspect you have posted enough crap on the Internet for thedefendant attornies to rip you several new buttholes in a court of law.

This forum in monitored world wide. If you think you can post anything here in secrecy, your a bigger idiot than anyone has given you credit for.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

steveinNEPA wrote:
This was a problem in PA, cops saying that you cant OC etc. Well after a while and a few lawsuits later... The police had an updated MPOETC course (Municipal police officers education and training ) that basically told them among other things that OC is legal and they cant do a DAMN thing about it unless that person is engaged in a criminal act. Its a shame that some other states havent done something similar.
What it took in Pennsylvania to get statewide notification and training to all law enforcement agencies that open carry was legal was a massive letter-writing campaign from all corners of the Commonwealth. We wrote to our elected representatives, we wrote to the state police commissioner, we wrote to each and every member of the board that comes up with the annual training topics.

It took time. It took a lot of people writing a lot of letters. It can be done elsewhere.

RussP

imported post

FedFirefighter wrote:
I live in an open carry friendly state and have had many interactions with law enforcement in the six years I've been open carrying. All were good experiences.

"...you had best cave to the LEO intimidation and conceal like a good little citizen" indicates you have a negative attitude toward law enforcement. Is that the usual firefighters vs. cops thing, or are there underlying causes for the statement? Have you already been threatened with arrest or loss of your CPL?

Is your question, "Is there anything you can do to avoid law enforcement encounters?"

Or, is it, "Are there things you can do to minimize the risk of negative reactions from law enforcement?"

As was said about Pennsylvania, education is all important. Here in Virginia efforts by staff and members of VCDL got the message across to several LE agencies, State and local governments all over Virginia.

eye95

imported post

RussP wrote:
FedFirefighter wrote:
I live in an open carry friendly state and have had many interactions with law enforcement in the six years I've been open carrying. All were good experiences.

"...you had best cave to the LEO intimidation and conceal like a good little citizen" indicates you have a negative attitude toward law enforcement. Is that the usual firefighters vs. cops thing, or are there underlying causes for the statement? Have you already been threatened with arrest or loss of your CPL?

Is your question, "Is there anything you can do to avoid law enforcement encounters?"

Or, is it, "Are there things you can do to minimize the risk of negative reactions from law enforcement?"

As was said about Pennsylvania, education is all important. Here in Virginia efforts by staff and members of VCDL got the message across to several LE agencies, State and local governments all over Virginia.
I am not trying to answer for FFF, but having had an unfortunate run-in with an Alabama LEO, I'll answer the question for myself.

Some LEOs (not all) do expect you to conceal "like a good little citizen." I was flatly told that I should by two LEOs (a CPL and a LT COL) and that that was the only way to avoid being hassled by LEOs.

Fortunately, MPD now officially recognizes that OC is legal. That's no guarantee that some other LEO won't stop me in the hope of convincing me to conceal "like a good little citizen."

I was not present at the incident in Dothan, however, it reeks of a plainclothes LEO and a LT both thinking that LAC's should conceal and planning to hassle any who do not.

Our primary goal in Alabama should be to educate LEAs on the law regarding OC and to pursue legal action against those LEAs and LEOs (and there are many) who will not accept the law as it is.

codename_47

imported post

It seems unless you have a very fat bank account and a connection with a GOOD criminal lawyer, you had best cave to the LEO intimidation and conceal like a good little citizen.

Civil lawsuits tend to get people's attention pretty quick and don't take a huge bank account.

When someone tells me we are free I laugh.

It is a pretty good joke, huh. No man is more hopelessly enslaved than the man who thinks he is free.

Its a shame that some other states havent done something similar.

Well they probably haven't been sued enough yet.

I would love to be the one to bring that one, just not financially feasable. (Pro-Bono?)

No, no the word is pro-se not pro bono. Screw using a lawyer and do it yourself.

open4years

imported post

I've OCed for many years and I had one LEO who had a huge problem with me OCing, even though he knew it was legal to do so. I help a lot of people with car problems, accidents, etc. It can make one a bit nervous when you walk up to a car.

That is why I went from just a pistol in an ankle holster to OCing. I explained to the officer that if I saw someone pulling a gun on me, I would be dead before I could get my hand on my pistol. I could tell it was an ego thing with him. Such as: Only cops should carry openly.

I kept up my OC and the officer was later fired. The firing was based on how he treated the public. I don't miss him!

open4years

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
FedFirefighter wrote:
I am just wondering if there is anything else that can be done when you live in an open carry friendly state (Alabama) and have done your homework, know the statutes and case laws, responsibly OC and still get threatened with arrest or loss of your CPL?  It seems unless you have a very fat bank account and a connection with a GOOD criminal lawyer, you had best cave to the LEO intimidation and conceal like a good little citizen. 

You nailed it.

I lost my handgun carry permit due to open carry. I have an extremely thick file at several local police agencies, Tennessee Bureau of
Investigations, BATFE, Homeland Security and the FBI. The ATF denied my purchase of a silencer on Monday due to this. I've not broken any law and never been arrested or charged with a crime. I served honorably in the military. When someone tells me we are free I laugh.

Was OC legal when you OCed?

open4years

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
FedFirefighter wrote:
I am just wondering if there is anything else that can be done when you live in an open carry friendly state (Alabama) and have done your homework, know the statutes and case laws, responsibly OC and still get threatened with arrest or loss of your CPL?  It seems unless you have a very fat bank account and a connection with a GOOD criminal lawyer, you had best cave to the LEO intimidation and conceal like a good little citizen. 

You nailed it.

I lost my handgun carry permit due to open carry. I have an extremely thick file at several local police agencies, Tennessee Bureau of
Investigations, BATFE, Homeland Security and the FBI. The ATF denied
my purchase of a silencer on Monday due to this. I've not broken any law and never been arrested or charged with a crime. I served honorably in the military. When someone tells me we are free I laugh.

Was OC legal when you OCed? I've noticed that you mention how many agencies have big files on you, etc. I get the impression that you are proud of this.

If you have never been arrested, why is LE watching you so close - IF they really are? And, how do you know the agencies that have these files on you?

Something doesn't compute on my end. If I had all that LE looking at me, I would first of all, want to know why.

Sorry I went off topic, but this has me confused.

FedFirefighter

imported post

No, I don't have any beef at all with LEO's, I respect their job and personally wouldn't want it. All I want is them to correctly know the laws, or least be open minded and do some checking with supervisors before trying to push their opinions on a LAC. I would much rather have cops educated, then leave me alone, than mess with a lawsuit. But, I have tried that, talking to several high ranking LEO's, and they keep clinging to -52 and WILL NOT listen to what I could show them. And yes, our sheriff has said he will pull the permit on anyone caught OC'ing. Thats where it can be very frustrating.

eye95

imported post

FedFirefighter wrote:
No, I don't have any beef at all with LEO's, I respect their job and personally wouldn't want it. All I want is them to correctly know the laws, or least be open minded and do some checking with supervisors before trying to push their opinions on a LAC. I would much rather have cops educated, then leave me alone, than mess with a lawsuit. But, I have tried that, talking to several high ranking LEO's, and they keep clinging to -52 and WILL NOT listen to what I could show them. And yes, our sheriff has said he will pull the permit on anyone caught OC'ing. Thats where it can be very frustrating.
This is why the repeal of -52 must be our top priority--not because it prohibits OC, but because it provides the cover of confusion for those LEOs who choose not to learn what they law (including court decisions) says.

Thundar

imported post

FedFirefighter wrote:
If you live in a state where you live in fear of illegal police action you have three courses of action. 1) Accept it. 2) Move 3) Become an activist.