Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Rhinelander Ordinance Change Request

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Grafton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    172

    Post imported post

    The process to change the current ordinance in Rhinelander for Open Carry has begun...I'll keep updating here as needed.



    Current Ordinance available here: http://library6.municode.com/default...ction=whatsnew



    10.01OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC HEALTH AND SAFETY .

    (1)REGULATIONS AND USE OF FIREARMS AND OTHER WEAPONS.

    (a)Carrying Weapons . No person shall carry any concealed pistol, revolver or other similar firearm about the City or have any firearm, rifle, spring or airgun in his possession, unless it is unloaded and knocked down or enclosed within a carrying case or other suitable container, except that this provision shall not apply to any policeman or other officer of the law entitled to carry firearms.

    (b)Intoxicated Person Not to Carry Firearms . No person in a state of intoxication shall go armed in and about the City with any firearm, whether loaded or unloaded.

    (c)Discharging Firearms and Other Weapons . (Am. #18-06) No person, except a peace officer, shall discharge any pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun or other firearm or hunting arrow or arrows within the City, except where the use of such firearm or arms or hunting arrows are required for the protection of person or property or where used in supervised rifle or pistol ranges or shooting galleries, or in the case of hunting arrows, in a hunting area utilized to hunt deer pursuant to §11.06, Deer Nuisance.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Grafton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    172

    Post imported post

    The City of Rhinelander is going to take a little more work than normal.

    It appears that the Police Chief is not too fond of this change.

    Currently the City Administrator and Police Chief wish to have a sit down to discuss this.

    While I have expressed that there is nothing to discuss, I will gladly oblige.

    I'll post updates as I have them, as soon as they decide on a day to meet in the next week or two that works for me...it's almost a 4 hour drive.

  3. #3
    Regular Member AaronS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,497

    Post imported post

    Icepik is on the job. Nice work you have been doing.

    As far as the Rhinelander meeting. It might be a good idea to show them Green Bays new set of laws, as this is one of the city's that re-did the law on carry, and did not add any park ban (I'm sure the park bans will be fought soon).

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Grafton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    172

    Post imported post

    Thanks.

    I'm currently working on the park restriction in Saukville.

    I'll pull green bays info, and put it with graftons. They did the same thing there, nice and clean.

    Thanks!

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    15

    Post imported post

    wasnt there a post a while ago about i believe water town or one of the towns in the south about the chief or a law maker that said you can open carry a loaded gun because of this line. "or other suitable container" cause a holster is a suitable container

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,709

    Post imported post

    elvenhome21 wrote:
    wasnt there a post a while ago about i believe water town or one of the towns in the south about the chief or a law maker that said you can open carry a loaded gun because of this line. "or other suitable container" cause a holster is a suitable container
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM:celebrate


    I don't believe "other suitable container" appears in state law. Local ordinances as they pertain to ownership and possession are mute by 66.0409.

    Carry On.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Grafton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    172

    Post imported post

    UPDATE:

    The City Of Rhinelander is currently reviewing the ordinances on the books, and should have this issue listed as a line item on the next PPP meeting, which is next month.

    Once I have a confirmed agenda, I'll post the date/time here so any who wish may attend and show support.

  8. #8
    Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    4,047

    Post imported post

    elvenhome21 wrote:
    wasnt there a post a while ago about i believe water town or one of the towns in the south about the chief or a law maker that said you can open carry a loaded gun because of this line.Â* "or other suitable container" cause a holster is a suitable container
    That was Elkhorn. See http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/30921.html

    In Rhinelander, subsection c contradicts subsection a.

    A says I can't have a loaded gun at all. c says that I can't discharge a gun unless I'm protecting myself. How can I protect myself if I don't have a loaded gun?

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Grafton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    172

    Post imported post

    Tuesday, June 29th 2010 at 2:30pm

    The issue of removing the City of Rhinelander ordinance 10.01 (1) (a) will be on the PPP meeting agenda for discussion.

    The city administrator has replied with this in his e-mail:



    As I have stated in the past...this will be an issue for the city atty to decide on the legality of our ordinance. I would be more than happy to put this on next months agenda for discussion. See you on the 29th at 2:30pm.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Grafton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    172

    Revised

    It's been a while since I've posted updates. I've been working silently in the background trying to make progress with many communities.

    Here's the revised ordinance as found on the City of Rhinelander website. It has been reduced to spring or airgun.

    HOWEVER, they have added a public park restriction. (See at bottom)


    Link: http://www.ci.rhinelander.wi.gov/

    Municode: http://library.municode.com/index.as...Name=Wisconsin


    Ordinance:

    4.03.01. - Offenses against public health and safety.

    (1) Regulations and use of firearms and other weapons.

    (a) Carrying weapons. No person shall carry any or have any spring or airgun in his possession, unless it is unloaded and knocked down or enclosed within a carrying case or other suitable container, except that this provision shall not apply to any policeman or other officer of the law entitled to carry firearms.

    (b) Reserved.

    (c) Discharging firearms and other weapons. No person, except a peace officer, shall discharge any pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun or other firearm or hunting arrow or arrows within the City, except where the use of such firearm or arms or hunting arrows are required for the protection of person or property or where used in supervised rifle or pistol ranges or shooting galleries, or in the case of hunting arrows, in a hunting area utilized to hunt deer pursuant to Section 4.04.06, Deer Nuisance.




    3.04.02. - Park regulations.

    (6) Carry, keep or use any firearm, bow and arrow, slingshot, trap, gun or other shooting device upon such public park grounds, except as authorized and approved by the Parks, Buildings and Grounds Department.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ozaukee Co., Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    180
    So a police officer can carry an airgun, but an ordinary citizen cannot?

    Either way, I'm glad to see you're still working on this. I was beginning to wonder what happened to you.

    Geoff

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran Flipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    , Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by icepik View Post
    The City of Rhinelander is going to take a little more work than normal.

    It appears that the Police Chief is not too fond of this change.

    Currently the City Administrator and Police Chief wish to have a sit down to discuss this.

    While I have expressed that there is nothing to discuss, I will gladly oblige.

    I'll post updates as I have them, as soon as they decide on a day to meet in the next week or two that works for me...it's almost a 4 hour drive.
    Remember, the Wisconsin Police Chief's Association has worked with WAVE to lobby the legislature against expansion of firearm rights. The Rhinelander Mayor is identified as a current MAIG member (i.e. Barrett sycophant) on the MAIG web site.

    http://www.rhinelanderdailynews.com/...4546984612.txt

    "September 11

    Mayor attacked by NRA

    Rhinelander Mayor Dick Johns is beset with angry phone calls and e-mails generated by a National Rifle Association (NRA) mailing accusing him of belonging to “a national anti-gun group.”

    The mailing referred to Johns’ membership with “Mayors Against Illegal Guns” (MAIG) and urged NRA members to demand that the mayor denounce his affiliation with the group, claiming they have lobbied Congress against national reciprocity of right-to-carry permits and reform of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) and for regulating gun shows and repealing privacy rights for gun owners.

    Johns said he was confused by the situation, explaining that he joined the organization at the invitation of Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett to show his support for keeping illegally obtained guns off of the city streets."
    Last edited by Flipper; 09-08-2010 at 11:40 AM.

  13. #13
    Regular Member FMJ45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Up Nort
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
    Remember, the Wisconsin Police Chief's Association has worked with WAVE to lobby the legislature against expansion of firearm rights. The Rhinelander Mayor is identified as a current MAIG member (i.e. Barrett sycophant) on the MAIG web site.

    http://www.rhinelanderdailynews.com/...4546984612.txt

    "September 11

    Mayor attacked by NRA

    Rhinelander Mayor Dick Johns is beset with angry phone calls and e-mails generated by a National Rifle Association (NRA) mailing accusing him of belonging to “a national anti-gun group.”

    The mailing referred to Johns’ membership with “Mayors Against Illegal Guns” (MAIG) and urged NRA members to demand that the mayor denounce his affiliation with the group, claiming they have lobbied Congress against national reciprocity of right-to-carry permits and reform of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) and for regulating gun shows and repealing privacy rights for gun owners.

    Johns said he was confused by the situation, explaining that he joined the organization at the invitation of Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett to show his support for keeping illegally obtained guns off of the city streets."
    He also does not know how to fly an American Flag in his office.
    http://www.wpeg.net

    Like the article says, he's a Purple Heart Vet, Mayor, and head village idiot.
    "Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The (US) Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters . . . but they mean to be masters."
    [Daniel Webster]

    Who is Your Master?

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran Flipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    , Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by FMJ45 View Post
    He also does not know how to fly an American Flag in his office.
    http://www.wpeg.net

    Like the article says, he's a Purple Heart Vet, Mayor, and head village idiot.
    What is with this guy, or more accurately, with the people of Rhinelander? There are only five Wisconsin members of Mayors Against Guns:

    Mayor Dave Cieslewicz
    Madison, WI

    Mayor Tom Barrett
    Milwaukee, WI

    Mayor Richard Johns
    Rhinelander, WI

    Mayor Al Richards
    Saint Francis, WI

    Mayor Kristine M. Deiss
    West Bend
    Last edited by Flipper; 10-07-2010 at 04:12 PM.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
    What is with this guy, or more accurately, with the people of Rhinelander? There are only five Wisconsin members of Mayors Against Guns:

    Mayor Dave Cieslewicz
    Madison, WI

    Mayor Tom Barrett
    Milwaukee, WI

    Mayor Richard Johns
    Rhinelander, WI

    Mayor Al Richards
    Saint Francis, WI

    Mayor Kristine M. Deiss
    West Bend, WI
    Did the Mayor of Park Falls recently part ways with the demonistic organization? Considering Park Falls is the self-proclaimed Ruffed Grouse hunting Capitol of the world, and hunting Grouse without a shotgun can prove to be extremely difficult. (I have taken one with a .50Cal muzzleloader once, it was a perfect headshot and it resulted in a nice dinner for an otherwise boring late season deer hunt.

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran Flipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    , Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutczak View Post
    Did the Mayor of Park Falls recently part ways with the demonistic organization? Considering Park Falls is the self-proclaimed Ruffed Grouse hunting Capitol of the world, and hunting Grouse without a shotgun can prove to be extremely difficult. (I have taken one with a .50Cal muzzleloader once, it was a perfect headshot and it resulted in a nice dinner for an otherwise boring late season deer hunt.
    Must have. Not listed on the current MAG listing. Guess he won't get appointed to a big job in Madison by governor Barrett. Your campaign must have worked.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Vandil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sun Prairie
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutczak View Post
    (I have taken one with a .50Cal muzzleloader once, it was a perfect headshot and it resulted in a nice dinner for an otherwise boring late season deer hunt.
    I will stand suitably impressed if you took that on the wing with a black powder slug gun.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandil View Post
    I will stand suitably impressed if you took that on the wing with a black powder slug gun.
    On a log with the ground directly behind it as a backstop, because shooting rifles in an upward direction is dangerous.
    I saw 5 grouse come out from under a log one at a time, hop on top, and take flight from there, the sixth one that came out from under that log never got to take flight, and I could not reload in time to get another of the next 4 which all followed suit. It would have been neat to have a semi-auto .22 that day, I could have got my limit of grouse in 30 seconds or less that day!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •