• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CAN I OC Rifles and shotguns

Do you Open Carry Rifles or Shotguns in Seattle

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Would you?

• Do you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

locomarine13

imported post

I am 20 and I want to know if I can roam the streets of seattle with a riflesuch as a ak, aror shotgun slung over my back.and can they be loaded. I live in sky way and its very dangerous to walk out at night in my neighborhood. I know for sure the KCS would stop me, but i need to know what I can do to protect myself and family, from idiots who shoot children in parking lots ie 13yr old @ MLK 7/11.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

locomarine13 wrote:
I am 20 and I want to know if I can roam the streets of seattle with a riflesuch as a ak, aror shotgun slung over my back.and can they be loaded. I live in sky way and its very dangerous to walk out at night in my neighborhood. I know for sure the KCS would stop me, but i need to know what I can do to protect myself and family, from idiots who shoot children in parking lots ie 13yr old @ MLK 7/11.

TROLL.
Seattle_Troll-2.jpg

11) This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. Do not start OFF TOPIC threads or discussions such aspromoting the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the folks on this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.

j2l3

imported post

Your survey doesn't match your heading... in your heading, you want to know if YOU can OC a long gun.

In your survey, you ask if WE OC long guns...

Short answer, is yes, you can. Should you? I don't know. I wouldn't.

If you do, I expect you will get far more MWAG calls than anyone else does and far more attention from the police than anyone else does.

Know this RCW inside and out and then decide for yourself:

[align=right][/align]
[/b](1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

(2) Any person violating the provisions of subsection (1) above shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor. If any person is convicted of a violation of subsection (1) of this section, the person shall lose his or her concealed pistol license, if any. The court shall send notice of the revocation to the department of licensing, and the city, town, or county which issued the license.

(3) Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to or affect the following:

(a) Any act committed by a person while in his or her place of abode or fixed place of business;

(b) Any person who by virtue of his or her office or public employment is vested by law with a duty to preserve public safety, maintain public order, or to make arrests for offenses, while in the performance of such duty;

(c) Any person acting for the purpose of protecting himself or herself against the use of presently threatened unlawful force by another, or for the purpose of protecting another against the use of such unlawful force by a third person;

(d) Any person making or assisting in making a lawful arrest for the commission of a felony; or

(e) Any person engaged in military activities sponsored by the federal or state governments.

Bersa.380

imported post

locomarine13 wrote:

Wait another year until you turn 21 .....

1.) Then take a Handgun Safety Class (find a place that will rent you a pistol).

2.) Get a Concealed Pistol Permit.

3.) And last ... ... buy a pistol, go to a range and practice with it a few times to learn how it shoots and how to handle it safely

Understand if I was your dad this is what I would make you do, no exceptions, in that order !

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

locomarine13 wrote:
I am 20 and I want to know if I can roam the streets of seattle with a riflesuch as a ak, aror shotgun slung over my back.and can they be loaded . . .

Getting a lot more young fellers at OCDO in the last year or so.

Word is out for 17, 18, 19, 20-year-olds on ye olde Internet: Hey, you can carry a gun WITHOUT a license!

Then the bonus comes: Hey, you can even carry an AK WITHOUT a license!!

Not good. Not good at all.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

HankT wrote:
locomarine13 wrote:
I am 20 and I want to know if I can roam the streets of seattle with a riflesuch as a ak, aror shotgun slung over my back.and can they be loaded . . .

Word is out for 17, 18, 19, 20-year-olds on ye olde Internet: Hey, you can carry a gun WITHOUT a license!

I see. So only you should be able to enjoy this American right. Only you should know about it, because of course, you are a responsible person. Only people in the "responsible group" should know of and exercise this right.

Not good huh? What do you suggest we do about this?

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

While the forum is for open carry of handguns that are holstered I will quickly respond.

While it would be legal you would be subjected to many encounters that could result in one being very expensive for you and two work against those promoting open carry.

Myself I would never consider it.

Idaho Teens Tote Loaded Guns Around Town Legally Sunday, May 20, 2007 http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,274138,00.html

POST FALLS, Idaho — Two home-schooled teenagers in this northern town say they are carrying loaded guns to the library, grocery store and other public areas for self-defense, as a crime deterrent, and to educate others about their rights. , 18, carries a loaded Glock handgun on his hip. His 15-year-old brother, Steven, carries a .22-caliber rifle in a sling on his back.

Police have been called on several occasions to question the teens but have not found the teens to be in violation of the law. In Idaho, residents 18 and older can openly carry a firearm in public. And those ages 13 to 17 who have parental permission can carry a rifle in public. "I certainly don't anticipate that I'll need to use it, but I'd rather have it and not need it than to not have it and need it," Zach told the Coeur d'Alene Press. "There's no reason for me to hide a weapon." Zach was stopped April 17 on his way to Bible study. On Friday, police again responded when someone reported the brothers with guns in a park. But police left after confirming it was the Doty's.

Zach has also been approached by others. "There have been good opportunities to speak to people," he said. "I make sure they know that open carrying is legal, why I carry and I encourage them to consider doing so themselves." The brothers carry their weapons to parks, the library, grocery stores and other places. They can't have their guns with them on school property, courthouses or jails. Not everyone is comfortable with armed teenagers in the neighborhood. "I turned back so that my wife could verify what I saw," said James Rebal, who called police after seeing Zach with his gun. "He was very nicely dressed and I saw nothing to be concerned about other than the weapon. It's not something you see in Idaho.

Virginia Tech was fresh in my mind, and I thought it was better to err on the side of concern." A lone gunman killed 32 people and himself last month at Virginia Tech University. John Dunlap, commander of the American Legion Post 143, said he asked Zach to leave the Legion at a recent lunch because Zach was carrying his gun. "He left and came back the next day (without the gun) for soup," said Dunlap, who described the brothers as "well-mannered."

Ed Santos owns Center Target Sports in Post Falls and is a gun safety instructor. He said the Dotys came to his shop but he doesn't sell handgun ammunition to people under 21. He said that just because the Dotys are carrying guns in public doesn't mean they're not responsible with them, but questioned the need to carry them in town even though it was legal. "My advice for them is the same as it is with adults — yes it's your right and yes it's legal, but why draw unnecessary attention to yourself just because you can?" Santos said. "I believe the intent (of the law) was to allow it more for hunting and recreation."

Zach said he's not paranoid or a radical. "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Poosharker wrote:
HankT wrote:
locomarine13 wrote:

I see. So only you should be able to enjoy this American right.

Huh, who said that?

Poosharker wrote:
Only you should know about it, because of course, you are a responsible person.
Huh, who made that assertion?

Poosharker wrote:
Only people in the "responsible group" should know of and exercise this right.
Huh, who...

Ahhhhhh. The ole Triple Strawman Retort Strategem (TSRS)!!!

Tricky.....thanks, God, I spotted it....

Why do people keep using that tired old TSRS?
106.gif

sudden valley gunner

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
Poosharker wrote:
I see. So only you should be able to enjoy this American right. Only you should know about it, because of course, you are a responsible person. Only people in the "responsible group" should know of and exercise this right.

Not good huh? What do you suggest we do about this?
Oh gawd. You don't know Hank T very well, do you?
Don't say I didn't warn you.
Now that's funny there.

Status
Not open for further replies.