• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non-Lethal Self Defense

smithman

imported post

Landose_theghost wrote:
Just throwin my hat into the ring here, but I also carry Pepper spray whilst OC'n. That andI also bring with me a custom Left hook followed by a nice overhand right :lol:!
Bad idea in my opinion. If you don't use your pepper spray and go straight for your gun, you will face a barrage of questions from a DA and prosecuter who will try to show that you didn't use lesser force, even though you had it available to you.

CUOfficer

imported post

I agree. I think the use of non-lethal force would obviously be the best form of self defense. However, if you carry pepper spray and your firearm, and go right for the firearm, I think that you will probably face consequences. On another note, if someone breaks in to my home in the middle of the night, I will not be attempting any hand to hand combat.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

smithman wrote:
Landose_theghost wrote:
Just throwin my hat into the ring here, but I also carry Pepper spray whilst OC'n. That andI also bring with me a custom Left hook followed by a nice overhand right :lol:!
Bad idea in my opinion. If you don't use your pepper spray and go straight for your gun, you will face a barrage of questions from a DA and prosecuter who will try to show that you didn't use lesser force, even though you had it available to you.
I've been trying to grapple with this question myself for quite a long time. If I recall correctly, when I took the MN CCW class a number of years ago there was a suggestion expressed that is similar to smithman's.

On the other hand, a prosecutor can, and ought to always ask whether the person could have used a lesser force in a particular case. One almost always has a lesser force available: e.g., fists. If it isn't clear that deadly force is justified, don't attempt to use deadly force. If it isn't clear to you, then it certainly won't be clear to the DA or the jury. If you don't have a reasonable understanding of the self-defense law, then probably you are better off reserving your gun for use on the range, hunting, or other recreational use. Leave your knife home too.

It's wrong to say that you will face a barrage of questions from the DA since you never have to testify against yourself. But the DA may raise the question for the jury to consider.

As far as pepper spray itself, my feeling is that it is good for police, who have a relatively good understanding of and training in the "continuum of force" and who will often face situations where they know deadly force is not going to be required but some level of force will be. And it is good for people who don't like guns or don't or cannot own a gun; or who are not the type, for whatever reason that ought to have a gun, or have no proficiency with a gun. And finally, it's good for taking into places where you cannot take a gun.

Pepper spray has plenty of drawbacks too, including: It's not that fast to deploy if you don't already have it in your hand when you need it. It blows back into your face. It has a fairly limited range. Some people are unaffected by it. Drawing and shooting a gun takes about a second. Digging out your spray, taking it off "safe" and orienting it correctly to the threat (and not back at your own face) will take several seconds under the best circumstances. If you did spray, but still needed to shoot someone, how would that look? Might appear that you just shot a helpless person.

I doubt that I would ever attempt to deploy pepper spray in a situation that I had a gun and use of deadly force was justified. I keep it around the house, but I rarely carry it outside the house.

So my personal debate continues. I welcome comments.

M

McX

imported post

if one carries a collaspible baton in their pocket, is that a concealed weapon?

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Hillmann wrote:
A person hopped up on Meth would be virtually unaffected by a 357 as well, until they bleed out.
Two words: head shot

Bleeding out could take just a few seconds if shots hit the right place. A shot to the CNS provides instant results. Gruesome, but true.

Most people shot with handguns do not die from it.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Not to mention that a person hopped up on Meth would be virtually uneffected by pepper spray.

I think it is a good idea to carry pepper spray or mace and I do. But I carry what is now called the "Pepper Blaster". I have the first model which was called the "Guardian Angel" and have carried it for several years. I haven't looked lately at the statutes but IIRC Wisconsin limits the pepper spray to a maximum of 10% Ole...whatever it is called. The "Pepper Blaster" is supposed to be legal in Wisconsin which is why I have it. Good to have something on me when I have to go into those "GFSZ"s.

I know this isn't the Wisconsin statutes link but I do believe the information is correct:

http://www.peacemakerpepperspray.com/page/894784

Here is the link to the Pepper Blasters by Kimber:

http://www.kimberamerica.com/shop/section.php?xSec=2

These units have a maximum concentration of 10%. They can certainly be purchased elsewhere for less than Kimber has them for on their s
ite.

professor gun

imported post

Hillmann wrote:
A person hopped up on Meth would be virtually unaffected by a 357 as well, until they bleed out.

I don't know whether this would be true or not as I have fortunately never had to shoot anyone.

professor gun

imported post

I bought one of the Kimber Pepper Blasters for my wife a couple months ago since reviews on these have been so positive. At the time I bought a small canister of pepper spray for me; had never carried it before but got to thinking about the continuum of force as it relates to self defense and thought having alternatives would be good.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The Pepper Blaster is a nice unit. I bought mine from MidwayUSA as well as two holsters for them. My wife carries one unit, me the other and my oldest daughter the third unit.

I agree there are many stories out there on the net where people have used this thing for self defense and successfully defended themselves without using lethal force. The Pepper Blaster also stops dogs according to a few stories I have read of people using it against dog attacks. Works for me.;)

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Shotgun wrote:
I'd have reservations about the Kimber units that resemble guns.
I thought about that too at first but then thought "What the hey?". It isn't a gun, it is shaped so a person can hold it better. I have the first issue Guardian Angel and I have to admit it is not easy to point it at a target. It is like holding a derringer sideways without the grip. You sort of have to point and hope that you hit your target unless you buy two or three of them and practice with the first two.

I carry mine in a belt pouch which looks like a cell phone pouch so no one is the wiser unless they just happen to know what it is. I think there is a pouch for the version you mentioned but not sure. Still, if I had to buy a new one today I think I would get the one with the grip so I could aim it better.

;)

Landose_theghost

imported post

Well since were on the subject of Non -lethal self defense, Lets just say that a "friend" of mine has sum tear gas grenades (bought online for like $10), can one of us legally use one if idk, somebody breaks in your home?

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Landose_theghost wrote:
Well since were on the subject of Non -lethal self defense, Lets just say that a "friend" of mine has sum tear gas grenades (bought online for like $10), can one of us legally use one if idk, somebody breaks in your home?
Nope, and why would you want to tear gas your own home?

professor gun

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Landose_theghost wrote:
Nope, and why would you want to tear gas your own home? 

I was wondering the same thing but thought maybe I was missing something here.:)

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

rcawdor57 wrote:
Shotgun wrote:
I'd have reservations about the Kimber units that resemble guns.
I thought about that too at first but then thought "What the hey?". It isn't a gun, it is shaped so a person can hold it better. I have the first issue Guardian Angel and I have to admit it is not easy to point it at a target. It is like holding a derringer sideways without the grip. You sort of have to point and hope that you hit your target unless you buy two or three of them and practice with the first two.

I carry mine in a belt pouch which looks like a cell phone pouch so no one is the wiser unless they just happen to know what it is. I think there is a pouch for the version you mentioned but not sure. Still, if I had to buy a new one today I think I would get the one with the grip so I could aim it better.

;)
Right, it's not a gun, but someone might easily mistake it for a gun in low light. That could get you shot. But everything comes with a certain risk. Just one more thing to consider.

Josh885

imported post

Some of you are missing the point of OC. It is not supposed to be used instead of the firearm it is supposed to fill the gap between doing nothing and not being justified in lethal force. For example, if someone decides they want to beat the shit out of you, instead of shooting an unarmed man and going to prison or getting into a a hand to hand fight that can result in a gun grab/take away, you just hose em down with OC.