• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The world didn't explode

malignity

imported post

So many of you know that I primarily CC for the simple fact that I live in Warren, who has been known to go 'full retard' when it comes to OC, and I'm scared to death of getting tazed by them because I have a pacemaker and I've been told that it'll kill me instantly.

After our last Warren Picnic over the weekend, I feel that Warren PD has taken a lighter approach on OC, and has realized that we 'aren't the bad guys'. I've only OCed at picnics thus far, and have been comfortable and confident in numbers, but never alone. Luckily I was able to pick up some brochures at the picnic, and a new retention holster that has helped boost my confidence.

I am proud to say that I went the entire day today, going up to GLX to buy a Mossberg 500 from someone on MGO, and went to Subway in Sterling Heights to buy some grub, and the world did not explode.

:celebrate

B

Bikenut

imported post

Congrats on taking the plunge. Please do carry a voice recorder. A video plus voice recorder is even better.

Pacemaker? Me too. I do not like the idea floating around that tazing is an acceptable, and safe, way of forcing compliance. Oftentimes a person, especially a law abiding person, may exhibit a bit of delay in complying with an order due to simply trying to "catch up" with what is going on.. and considering that law abiding people aren't accustomed to being arrested and therefor don't understand "the drill" a bit of a delay is very possible... but that delay is sometimes considered non compliance and out comes the tazer.

From what I understand... tazer + pacemaker = very good chance of being carried by six.

malignity

imported post

I carry my phone with me that has a voice recording option. I typically activate it whenever I leave the car, so whatever business I'm doing will be recorded.

malignity

imported post

Oh! Btw.. other than carrying an OC pamphlet and a recorder, is there anything else that one would recommend carrying? Like more paperwork or what not.

B

Bikenut

imported post

malignity wrote:
Oh! Btw.. other than carrying an OC pamphlet and a recorder, is there anything else that one would recommend carrying? Like more paperwork or what not.
Careful review of the laws while still at home so as to be very confident that what you say actually fits the applicable law for the situation you are in.... or said another way... bring with you inside your head the knowledge that is on the handout

Situational awareness so as to be forewarned when someone, store employee/customer/LE are approaching with a purposeful stride... This is handy to give time to turn on any recording devices that aren't already turned on. I turn mine on before getting out of my car.

A very calm demeanor (even if your insides are jumping don't let it show)....

Bring your quick on your feet thinking ability....

And bring....................................

Courage.

autosurgeon

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
malignity wrote:
Careful review of the laws while still at home so as to be very confident that what you say actually fits the applicable law for the situation you are in.... or said another way... bring with you inside your head the knowledge that is on the handout

Situational awareness so as to be forewarned when someone, store employee/customer/LE are approaching with a purposeful stride... This is handy to give time to turn on any recording devices that aren't already turned on. I turn mine on before getting out of my car.

A very calm demeanor (even if your insides are jumping don't let it show)....

Bring your quick on your feet thinking ability....

And bring....................................

Courage.
Couldn't say it better myself even if I tried :celebrate

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

good to hear it man:D

BTW, OCSD isnt likely to pose a threat to you, they are a very professional group of people.

As far as what to carry, perhaps a copy of Warchilds carry chart.

Maybe a T shirt that says "I have a pacemaker!":lol:

malignity

imported post

Well, I went OCing again today. :exclaim:

The only dirty look I got was from the guy behind the gun counter at Gander Mountain (Go figure LOL) who literally stopped everything he was doing, which was having a conversation with a patron and ringing them up, and asked me 'what do you want?' I simply asked my question, in which he said 'no' to, and found out later that he was lying/misinformed. (I asked if they had any rails for a Mossberg 500, he said no, and they did.)

Also went to Meijer and did some grocery shopping. Not a stare, or a second glance that I noted.

kyleplusitunes

imported post

seems like if you ever got tazed and you did tragically die for lawfully carrying a firearm, the officer who did it would be charged with murder, and your family would be set for life.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

malignity wrote:

The only dirty look I got was from the guy behind the gun counter at Gander Mountain (Go figure LOL) who literally stopped everything he was doing, which was having a conversation with a patron and ringing them up, and asked me 'what do you want?' I simply asked my question, in which he said 'no' to, and found out later that he was lying/misinformed. (I asked if they had any rails for a Mossberg 500, he said no, and they did.)

Also went to Meijer and did some grocery shopping. Not a stare, or a second glance that I noted.
which gander? they're rude at the sterling heights one behind the gun counter. even when not OC

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

smellslikemichigan wrote:
malignity wrote:

which gander? they're rude at the sterling heights one behind the gun counter. even when not OC
^ what he said....went there with my dad to get a crossbow and some 12g ammo, while my dad was looking at the crossbows and asked me to ask if they had any smaller boxes of remington 12g...we didnt see any....so i asked...and he looked at me like i had a second head...then asked in a very rude, sneering voice if i was 18...i said nooo, he said then he couldnt help me, turned around, and made himself look busy :cuss: