• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

my first "is that a gun?"

kenzmad

imported post

liquor store on the benson road at kent kangley. worker and I were talking and another employee came up and pointed at my G-26 and asked "is that a gun?" I told her yes it is and she asked "why do you have it?" I responded thast I carry because I can. I went on to explain the whole washington is an open carry state and such. all she kept asking is "why" do I need to carry. we talked for a bit and I told here I would bring in a couple of pamphlets for the store to read. all went well as these guys and gals know me as I have been going there for 10 years or so but they have never seen the gun before and I have OC there 7-8 times. any thoughts on what other info to give them when I go back

kenzmad

kito109654

imported post

Even though, "because I can" is a legitimate answer, it is often not understood. It doesn't go over the same way as "why drive a Ferrari" for most people. Guns are taboo.

For defense of self first, and for the defense of others second seems to work best with the people I speak to on a day to day basis. Just my two cents.

Tawnos

imported post

"why do you have it with you"

"well, because I haven't taken it off since this morning when I put on my pants"

"no, I mean why do you carry it"

"because an empty holster would just look silly"

"but why carry the holster or gun"

"Because I'm wearing the same pair of pants as yesterday, and they were attached then"

"when you first put the holster and gun on, why did you do it

Don't actually answer like this, just a humorous image I had in my head.

antispam540

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
"why do you have it with you"

"well, because I haven't taken it off since this morning when I put on my pants"

"no, I mean why do you carry it"

"because an empty holster would just look silly"

"but why carry the holster or gun"

"Because I'm wearing the same pair of pants as yesterday, and they were attached then"

"when you first put the holster and gun on, why did you do it

Don't actually answer like this, just a humorous image I had in my head.
Let me just save you some time, it's turtles all the way down.

kenzmad

imported post

we did talk a little about self defense as well as a poss scenario where I asked if someone came walking in with a gun right now and wanted to rob or murder, where are the cops at? she didn't really have an answer for this. hope to talk to her a bit more in a couple of days. gotta get a pamphlet printed up to give to her. by the way, where do you guys carry these pamphlets when you are out and about. are they on your person or in your vehicle? I carry enough stuff with me as it is without adding anymore.

kenzmad

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kenzmad wrote:
we did talk a little about self defense as well as a poss scenario where I asked if someone came walking in with a gun right now and wanted to rob or murder, where are the cops at? she didn't really have an answer for this. hope to talk to her a bit more in a couple of days. gotta get a pamphlet printed up to give to her. by the way, where do you guys carry these pamphlets when you are out and about. are they on your person or in your vehicle? I carry enough stuff with me as it is without adding anymore.

kenzmad
I always have some in my vehicle. Sometimes I have 2 extra folded in my back pocket.

Tawnos

imported post

antispam540 wrote:
I've said that many times, yet nobody ever seems to recognize the quote.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

kenzmad wrote:
liquor store on the benson road at kent kangley. worker and I were talking and another employee came up and pointed at my G-26 and asked "is that a gun?" I told her yes it is and she asked "why do you have it?" I responded thast I carry because I can. I went on to explain the whole washington is an open carry state and such. all she kept asking is "why" do I need to carry. we talked for a bit and I told here I would bring in a couple of pamphlets for the store to read. all went well as these guys and gals know me as I have been going there for 10 years or so but they have never seen the gun before and I have OC there 7-8 times. any thoughts on what other info to give them when I go back

kenzmad
Invite them to go shooting that has changed many peoples minds in the past and you have end up with new people that choose to carry.

kenzmad

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
antispam540 wrote:

ok i'll bite. what the heck does this mean?

kenzmad

Tawnos

imported post

kenzmad wrote:
Tawnos wrote:
antispam540 wrote:

ok i'll bite. what the heck does this mean?

kenzmad
Story goes that Feynman was talking to a woman who claimed his theories and teachings about physics were BS. When asked what she believed, the lady responded that the world is carried on the back of a giant turtle. Feynman then asked, well, what does that turtle walk on?

The lady says "you don't get it, do you? It's turtles all the way down"

*edit* essentially, it's where justification is infinite regression

1970camaroRS

imported post

BigDave wrote:

Invite them to go shooting that has changed many peoples minds in the past and you have end up with new people that choose to carry.
Tangent- My wife has a cousin that comitted suicide via gun at a younger age. Due to that she was acutely afraid of guns and didn't want anything to do with them. I slowly and patiently worked on her using the legitimate argument, "The gun is our protection and it is not going away. However, if there is to be a gun in the house, everyone in it needs to know how to use it safely." She finally caved in and when we next visited my folks in Bellingham, I brought the gun with us. I stripped it and had her clean and oil it explaining the whole time what everything is and does and always pointing out areas of safety. She was a nervous wreck as we got closer to the Plantation range. When we got there, we went over range safety and "what ifs". It was onto the firing line and I shot a few mags to show how everything works. Then it was her turn. Her first shot missed the target completely and she flinched and closed her eyes, but handled the recoil well. When she opened her eyes she realized she was ok and that firing guns might be ok. The next shot hit the target and my mom got a great picture of the smile on her face. Now she has her own gun and we go to the local range together. All it took was to actually experience using a gun to change her outlook of them altogether.

antispam540

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
Story goes that Feynman was talking to a woman who claimed his theories and teachings about physics were BS. When asked what she believed, the lady responded that the world is carried on the back of a giant turtle. Feynman then asked, well, what does that turtle walk on?

It's actually a quote from Terry Pratchett's "Discworld" series - it's about a world held up by elephants standing on the back of a giant turtle. It's as absurd as it sounds, but it's also one of the most hilarious and fun series I've read.

killchain

imported post

BigDave wrote:
kenzmad wrote:

kenzmad
+1

Works almost every time. :)

Tawnos

imported post

antispam540 wrote:
Tawnos wrote:

It's actually a quote from Terry Pratchett's "Discworld" series - it's about a world held up by elephants standing on the back of a giant turtle. It's as absurd as it sounds, but it's also one of the most hilarious and fun series I've read.
I've read (at least part of) the series. This quote is not from there, though Pratchett does use the idea. Before correcting me, make sure you have the source (the person who tells the original story is Stephen Hawking, he cites Bertrand Russell. I've alternatively seen Russell and Feynman).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I was once asked if I was expecting trouble because I was carrying a side arm. I told the person asking that I wasn't, but that I didn't figure that anyone at Ruby's Cafeteria, Columine, VT, or Ft Hood were expecting trouble either the day all hell broke loose on them. I also pointed out that no one at those places was armed except the killers.