Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: SMALL Digital A/V recorder

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Davis County, ,
    Posts
    90

    Post imported post

    Even though I've had almost exclusively good experiences while open carrying, a recent run in with an insane South West ticket agent while checking a firearm made me decide I wanted the ability to unobtrusively record audio/video. After much research, I decided to go with this little guy:

    http://www.amazon.com/Muvi-Super-Mic.../dp/B003BRD9QG

    Less than $100 and that's after I added an extra 8G memory card and reader.

    So far, I'm impressed. This thing is SMALL (about as tall as a .357Mag and about as thick as a .45ACP -- how do you like those measurements ). It seems small enough that it defies people's preconceptions of what can be a video recorder (which helps).

    The audio picks up anything being said nearby even outdoors. The video is a very decent 640x480 color motion JPEG in AVI format. The still pictures it takes are better than my cell phone (Palm Pre). I get somewhere between 1 - 1.5 hrs of video on a single charge and the 8GB micro SD card I put in it can store about 4hrs of video before I need to offload the files.

    Comes with a magnetic/double stick tape mount to attach it to your car dash (or anywhere), a nice little clip mount, a lanyard, mount/strap to attach it to a helmet, etc.

    I wore it around my office on my belt, and no one even noticed it. Around the neck people seem to think it's a cell phone ear piece or something. Crappy cell phone pictures attached:






  2. #2
    Regular Member Rottie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Somewhere out there
    Posts
    129

    Post imported post

    Looks like a cool little gadget. Keep us posted on how durable it is. Just out of curiosity does the manufacturer offer any claims of water resistance in wet rainy weather?

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sandy, Utah, USA
    Posts
    215

    Post imported post

    Off topic did you sell those big-o-Glocks? I saw them on KSL a while back?
    Utah Certified Concealed Firearms Permit Instructor
    NRA Pistol Instructor & RSO

    Lover of Freedom

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Alpine, Utah
    Posts
    126

    Post imported post

    leeland wrote:
    Even though I've had almost exclusively good experiences while open carrying, a recent run in with an insane South West ticket agent while checking a firearm made me decide I wanted the ability to unobtrusively record audio/video. After much research, I decided to go with this little guy:

    http://www.amazon.com/Muvi-Super-Mic.../dp/B003BRD9QG

    Less than $100 and that's after I added an extra 8G memory card and reader.

    So far, I'm impressed. This thing is SMALL (about as tall as a .357Mag and about as thick as a .45ACP -- how do you like those measurements ). It seems small enough that it defies people's preconceptions of what can be a video recorder (which helps).

    The audio picks up anything being said nearby even outdoors. The video is a very decent 640x480 color motion JPEG in AVI format. The still pictures it takes are better than my cell phone (Palm Pre). I get somewhere between 1 - 1.5 hrs of video on a single charge and the 8GB micro SD card I put in it can store about 4hrs of video before I need to offload the files.

    Comes with a magnetic/double stick tape mount to attach it to your car dash (or anywhere), a nice little clip mount, a lanyard, mount/strap to attach it to a helmet, etc.

    I wore it around my office on my belt, and no one even noticed it. Around the neck people seem to think it's a cell phone ear piece or something. Crappy cell phone pictures attached:
    looks pretty sweet. the amazon ad says it'll take 90 minutes of footage but only has a 1-continuous-hour battery life.

    how's the battery been in your experience?

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Davis County, ,
    Posts
    90

    Post imported post

    Pistol Pete Utah wrote:
    Off topic did you sell those big-o-Glocks? I saw them on KSL a while back?
    I did sell them, but managed to keep them in the family (a brother bought them). As fun as those were, in my opinion my replacement Glock project is much nicer. Just waiting to get a few final components back from the machinist and then a thousand or so rounds at the range to fine tune the cycle rate.

    Stainless steel, suppressed, G18 with mini holosight! How does that grab you?
    I knew that paying all those yearly fees to be a class 3 manufacture would pay off eventually... I'll post pics once I complete it.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Davis County, ,
    Posts
    90

    Post imported post

    Porter N wrote:
    looks pretty sweet. the amazon ad says it'll take 90 minutes of footage but only has a 1-continuous-hour battery life.

    how's the battery been in your experience?
    I've not been careful in measuring. It's easy to toggle the switch on/off record so I've just grabbed quick 5 minute clips of individual "encounters". I'll try running it from full charge to dead, see what I get, and post the results.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Utah_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kearns, Utah, USA
    Posts
    717

    Post imported post

    I have a blackberry storm 2 that does very well recording my encounters. I noticed it will record as long as the battery is charged which usually in a non issue.

    Tonight I took it around my neighborhood while I walked my dog with no issues sound was fantastic and no problems very good sound.

    I am hoping in the next while to try the Droid Incredible so I can create my own app for google that would give me video audio and a GPS Coordinate.

    Many options to choose from the bottom line is it is always good to have a second record of all your encounters.
    Zach
    8014487574
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"

  8. #8
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,381

    Post imported post

    leeland wrote:
    Porter N wrote:
    looks pretty sweet. the amazon ad says it'll take 90 minutes of footage but only has a 1-continuous-hour battery life.

    how's the battery been in your experience?
    I've not been careful in measuring. It's easy to toggle the switch on/off record so I've just grabbed quick 5 minute clips of individual "encounters". I'll try running it from full charge to dead, see what I get, and post the results.
    when are you gonna post a test clip??
    i posted 1 in washington in Video & audio recording glasses
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    “If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,666

    Post imported post

    I bought the muvi recorder... I like it very much, the size and ease of use is great. The audio is the weakest part. 3 hours of battery (350 on standby) and 2gb chip is about 1 1/2hours of video, so I will be buying a larger chip.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WstuXbHDoAA
    Live Free or Die!

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    108
    Looks cool! I had a similar clip that I wore opposite of my weapon. I never wanted to have someone THINK I was reaching towards my gun if I was only hitting the "record" button.

    Definitely a cool gadget.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •