• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SMALL Digital A/V recorder

leeland

imported post

Even though I've had almost exclusively good experiences while open carrying, a recent run in with an insane South West ticket agent while checking a firearm made me decide I wanted the ability to unobtrusively record audio/video. After much research, I decided to go with this little guy:

http://www.amazon.com/Muvi-Super-Micro-Camcorder-Black/dp/B003BRD9QG

Less than $100 and that's after I added an extra 8G memory card and reader.

So far, I'm impressed. This thing is SMALL (about as tall as a .357Mag and about as thick as a .45ACP -- how do you like those measurements :) ). It seems small enough that it defies people's preconceptions of what can be a video recorder (which helps).

The audio picks up anything being said nearby even outdoors. The video is a very decent 640x480 color motion JPEG in AVI format. The still pictures it takes are better than my cell phone (Palm Pre). I get somewhere between 1 - 1.5 hrs of video on a single charge and the 8GB micro SD card I put in it can store about 4hrs of video before I need to offload the files.

Comes with a magnetic/double stick tape mount to attach it to your car dash (or anywhere), a nice little clip mount, a lanyard, mount/strap to attach it to a helmet, etc.

I wore it around my office on my belt, and no one even noticed it. Around the neck people seem to think it's a cell phone ear piece or something. Crappy cell phone pictures attached:
C1.jpg
C2.jpg

C3.jpg

Rottie

imported post

Looks like a cool little gadget. Keep us posted on how durable it is. Just out of curiosity does the manufacturer offer any claims of water resistance in wet rainy weather?

Porter N

imported post

leeland wrote:
Even though I've had almost exclusively good experiences while open carrying, a recent run in with an insane South West ticket agent while checking a firearm made me decide I wanted the ability to unobtrusively record audio/video. After much research, I decided to go with this little guy:

http://www.amazon.com/Muvi-Super-Micro-Camcorder-Black/dp/B003BRD9QG

Less than $100 and that's after I added an extra 8G memory card and reader.

So far, I'm impressed. This thing is SMALL (about as tall as a .357Mag and about as thick as a .45ACP -- how do you like those measurements :) ). It seems small enough that it defies people's preconceptions of what can be a video recorder (which helps).

The audio picks up anything being said nearby even outdoors. The video is a very decent 640x480 color motion JPEG in AVI format. The still pictures it takes are better than my cell phone (Palm Pre). I get somewhere between 1 - 1.5 hrs of video on a single charge and the 8GB micro SD card I put in it can store about 4hrs of video before I need to offload the files.

Comes with a magnetic/double stick tape mount to attach it to your car dash (or anywhere), a nice little clip mount, a lanyard, mount/strap to attach it to a helmet, etc.

I wore it around my office on my belt, and no one even noticed it. Around the neck people seem to think it's a cell phone ear piece or something. Crappy cell phone pictures attached:
looks pretty sweet. the amazon ad says it'll take 90 minutes of footage but only has a 1-continuous-hour battery life.

how's the battery been in your experience?

leeland

imported post

Pistol Pete Utah wrote:
Off topic did you sell those big-o-Glocks? I saw them on KSL a while back?
I did sell them, but managed to keep them in the family (a brother bought them). As fun as those were, in my opinion my replacement Glock project is much nicer. Just waiting to get a few final components back from the machinist and then a thousand or so rounds at the range to fine tune the cycle rate.

Stainless steel, suppressed, G18 with mini holosight! How does that grab you? :lol:
I knew that paying all those yearly fees to be a class 3 manufacture would pay off eventually... I'll post pics once I complete it.

leeland

imported post

Porter N wrote:
looks pretty sweet. the amazon ad says it'll take 90 minutes of footage but only has a 1-continuous-hour battery life.

I've not been careful in measuring. It's easy to toggle the switch on/off record so I've just grabbed quick 5 minute clips of individual "encounters". I'll try running it from full charge to dead, see what I get, and post the results.

Utah_Patriot

imported post

I have a blackberry storm 2 that does very well recording my encounters. I noticed it will record as long as the battery is charged which usually in a non issue.

Tonight I took it around my neighborhood while I walked my dog with no issues sound was fantastic and no problems very good sound.

I am hoping in the next while to try the Droid Incredible so I can create my own app for google that would give me video audio and a GPS Coordinate.

Many options to choose from the bottom line is it is always good to have a second record of all your encounters.

1245A Defender

imported post

leeland wrote:
Porter N wrote:

I've not been careful in measuring. It's easy to toggle the switch on/off record so I've just grabbed quick 5 minute clips of individual "encounters". I'll try running it from full charge to dead, see what I get, and post the results.
when are you gonna post a test clip??
i posted 1 in washington in Video & audio recording glasses

marinepilot81

Looks cool! I had a similar clip that I wore opposite of my weapon. I never wanted to have someone THINK I was reaching towards my gun if I was only hitting the "record" button.

Definitely a cool gadget.