• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

PPD (Pontiac) says open carry is a direct violation of the cpl

thekunk47

imported post

I have a written response from Trooper Hawkins who took Sgt. Deasy's place in lansing. He handles all these types of queastions.He writes " Obtaining a CPL in no way proibits you from open carrying.There is no law prohibiting open carry let alone prohibiting it for a CPL holder.He can be contacted at

hawkinscj@michigan.gov

If you want a written copy of his response contace me at gekgun@yahoo.com and I can fax it to you.

PDinDetroit

imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:
This is from Pontiac's ordinances

Sec. 86-276. Possession of firearms--Restricted. (a)No person shall transport or have in his possession in or upon any vehicle on or about his person a loaded firearm in and upon any street, alley or other place in the city or at any place other than the residence or fixed place of business of such person. (b)No person shall transport or have in his possession in or upon any vehicle, at any place other than the residence or fixed place of business of such person, a firearm unless the firearm shall be unloaded, encased and carried in the luggage compartment of the vehicle. (c)No person shall carry or have on or about his person at any place other than the residence or fixed place of business of such person a firearm unless the firearm is unloaded and encased. (d)No minor shall carry or have on or about his person, or transport or have in possession in or upon any vehicle in and upon any street, alley or other public places in the city a firearm. (Code 1985, § 16-113)

Link to Ords. Type pistol in search box

http://library1.municode.com/default-test/home.htm?infobase=11439&doc_action=whatsnew
Glock - I highlighted a and b as well as these are not allowed under MI Preemption Law.

FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION (EXCERPT)
Act 319 of 1990

123.1102 Regulation of pistols or other firearms.
Sec. 2.
A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

History: 1990, Act 319, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991

© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

thekunk47 wrote:
I have a written response from Trooper Hawkins who took Sgt. Deasy's place in lansing. He handles all these types of queastions.He writes " Obtaining a CPL in no way proibits you from open carrying.There is no law prohibiting open carry let alone prohibiting it for a CPL holder.He can be contacted at

hawkinscj@michigan.gov

If you want a written copy of his response contace me at gekgun@yahoo.com and I can fax it to you.
email sent.

PDinDetroit

imported post

army74 wrote:
so according to the ordinance im supposedly in violation of there city ordinances right
See my post about MI Preemption law. Their ordinance is not in compliance with MI Statute.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

army74 wrote:
so according to the ordinance im supposedly in violation of there city ordinances right
You are protected by state law. The preemption law passed in 1990 and states the State has the sole authority to regulate firearms and no local municipality can enact gun laws more restrictive than the State.

PDinDetroit

imported post

Venator wrote:
army74 wrote:
You are protected by state law. The preemption law passed in 1990 and states the State has the sole authority to regulate firearms and no local municipality can enact gun laws more restrictive than the State.
Yeah, what he said. :celebrate

Ven - you might want to include the City Ordinance in the discussion as well. Good interaction opportunity with Pontiac as a whole.

sasha601

imported post

I think Pontiac should be handled the same way as Taylor was recently handled. Police attitude and bunch of illegal ordinances call for it.

It is interesting that police inlocalities with high poverty and crime rateshave tendency to show more disrespect forindividual civil rightsthan localities with less crime and poverty. This is my opinion.

army74

imported post

I went into city hall to submit my comment card. I was approached by a unnamed council member who said they are working hard to clean up the city image and by me coming in to speak to them tonight OCing is going to destroy all that has been accomplished thus far. An Unnamed civilian stated all i`m doing by OCing is putting it inthe African Americanculture`s face about gun violence. But i live in highly predominate African American Area. IF i wish to Carry openly i need to move to a more Racial Friendly Area.

Bronson

imported post

army74 wrote:
I went into city hall to submit my comment card. I was approached by a unnamed council member who said they are working hard to clean up the city image and by me coming in to speak to them tonight OCing is going to destroy all that has been accomplished thus far. An Unnamed civilian stated all i`m doing by OCing is putting it inthe African Americanculture`s face about gun violence. But i live in highly predominate African American Area. IF i wish to Carry openly i need to move to a more Racial Friendly Area.

Please tell me you recorded that.

Bronson

eastmeyers

imported post

Okay roll call!

Who all is coming, and where are we meeting? I wanna come, but I don't want to be the only one, I would like to know where to meet up with people, and a specific time to do so. Please post here for all to see, also if anyone wants to PM me a cell phone number.

God Bless

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I will be there. Try to be there by 6:30 if you can. I suspect they may rush the meeting knowing that we are coming. I say we should meet near the council hall so we can monitor what is going on. Just my 2 cents.