Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WARNING: even if you have a CPL stay out of Southgate, MI

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Post imported post

I know this is not valid, but a new member from Southgate ( kevinjames ) brought this to my attention and he is afraid to OC. Sounds like they need an education in Southgate.:shock:

692.02 DANGEROUS WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) No person shall, in the City, possess any machine gun, sawed off shotgun, any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, sling shot, sand club, sandbag, switchblade knife or metal knuckles, or any instrument, attachment or appliance for causing the firing of any firearm to be silent or intended to lessen or muffle the noise of the firing of any firearm, except as otherwise permitted by law.
    (1974 Code Sec. 9.69)
    (b) No person shall, while within the City, possess, with intent to use unlawfully against another or to use in an unlawful manner, whether directed at a person or object, any imitation pistol, dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, knife, bow, bow and arrow, arrow or other dangerous instrument or instrumentality.
    (Ord. 551. Passed 2-23-94.)
    692.03 CARRYING CONCEALED WEAPONS. No person shall have or carry any pistol, knife, dirk, knuckles, sling shot or other dangerous weapon concealed on his or her person.
    (Ord. 405. Passed 1-23-85.)

“A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Post imported post

Posted: Thu May 20th, 2010 01:33 am kevinjames wrote:
    Does anyone know where southgate stands with the open carry law??
    They are in violation per their posted codes online! Type pistol or gun to see bad ordinances. According to this even if you have a CPL you cannot carry. WOW! I guess no one told them state law trumps local law?
    Glock9mmOldStyle

“A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Post imported post

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Michigan/southgatemi/codifiedordinancesofsouthgatemichigan?f=templates$ fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:southgate_mi

Type pistol in search box to see bad code on books still.

Post imported post

why stay out? that is unenforceable, beat a rap.

Post imported post

He ( kevinjames ) is afraid of being arrested. He is new to OC and being newer myself I can understand his concerns. That's why I offered to OC with him if he wants.

Plus no LEO I've ever met wants to hassle with dragging my large frame into a patrol car :P !

Just kidding I'm sure many would, laws what laws, badges we don't need no stinking badges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZQMZQCQ

:shock:

Most LEO's good 99% it's that other 1% you've got to worry about.

Post imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle wrot
    692.03 CARRYING CONCEALED WEAPONS. No person shall have or carry any pistol, knife, dirk, knuckles, sling shot or other dangerous weapon concealed on his or her person.
    It sounds like just an old ordinance. Perhaps they need a letter, and if that doesn't solve it, a council meeting visit.

Post imported post

thats what i think.

write a letter or make a phone call,that could be all it takes.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Post imported post

See the other Southgate thread by kevinjames. Viper068 just posted about a MWAG call last month, they couldn't get the OC'er on his pistol so they wrote him a bogus ticket for a knife that got thrown out in court....I think it's an issue of not in our town & damn the state laws.

Michigun wrote:
    Glock9mmOldStyle wrot
    It sounds like just an old ordinance. Perhaps they need a letter, and if that doesn't solve it, a council meeting visit.

Post imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:
    See the other Southgate thread by kevinjames. Viper068 just posted about a MWAG call last month, they couldn't get the OC'er on his pistol so they wrote him a bogus ticket for a knife that got thrown out in court....I think it's an issue of not in our town & damn the state laws.

Michigun wrote:
    Glock9mmOldStyle wrot
    I think another event like Taylor City Council Meeting is in order.

Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Post imported post

I'm in!

Post imported post

With a little notice I should be able to attend a southgate metting for support, assuming I can find a babysitter.
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

Post imported post

detroit_fan wrote:
    With a little notice I should be able to attend a southgate metting for support, assuming I can find a babysitter.
    Accordingto the Southgate website (Calendar of Events, assumed for June), the next council meeting will probably be June 2nd at 8:00 pm.

http://www.southgatemi.org/events/index.htm

Post imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
    detroit_fan wrote:
    Accordingto the Southgate website (Calendar of Events, assumed for June), the next council meeting will probably be June 2nd at 8:00 pm.

I think we need to talk to Venator 1st, have him send an email, then give them a little time to respond. If they don't reply like Taylor refused to...then we setup a meeting.

Just my 2 cents.

Post imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:
    SpringerXDacp wrote:
    detroit_fan wrote:

I think we need to talk to Venator 1st, have him send an email, then give them a little time to respond. If they don't reply like Taylor refused to...then we setup a meeting.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree, I was giving D_fan a heads up on the meetings.

Post imported post

Ahhh....got it, thanks.

Post imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
    detroit_fan wrote:

Thanks, for the link. If they fail to respond to a letter i'd be more than happy to show up for support.
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

Post imported post

I'm in
    "Liberty's too precious a thing to be buried in books...Men should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives and say: 'I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't. I can. And my children will."
    ,,, So Mote Be

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.-- JC

Post imported post

The council meetings are getting fun, count me in!

Post imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:
    SpringerXDacp wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

Has anybody started this ball rolling? 10 days till the council meeting in Southgate. Is that enough time to Organize with Speakers/supporters etc.?

Post imported post

I sent Venator a PM. I will update as soon as I hear anything about Southgate. I think we could shoot (no pun) for the meeting after the next one. This gives them time.

Venator has a template he uses. Since he is a Senior member it's probably better that he or JeffSayers send them the first contact. If they are tied up on other issues (there are many..Detroit for example) we can ask taxwhat to send it for us.

I'm just trying to follow the chain of command here. This in no way should discourage any of you from sending comments to them as "individual citizens " to get their feedback on the city of Southgate's OC policy. If any exists?

- G9mmOS

Post imported post

Savage.Detroit wrote:
    The council meetings are getting fun, count me in!
    I agree they are pretty fun! See you at theirs soon Savage! :celebrate

Post imported post

Im in for the next meeting if i can get off work:celebrate

Post imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:
    I sent Venator a PM. I will update as soon as I hear anything about Southgate. I think we could shoot (no pun) for the meeting after the next one. This gives them time.

Venator has a template he uses. Since he is a Senior member it's probably better that he or JeffSayers send them the first contact. If they are tied up on other issues (there are many..Detroit for example) we can ask taxwhat to send it for us.

I'm just trying to follow the chain of command here. This in no way should discourage any of you from sending comments to them as "individual citizens " to get their feedback on the city of Southgate's OC policy. If any exists?

- G9mmOS

The above in BOLD is a Thought that works ! " This in no way should discourage any of you from "attending any[ Twp, Village ,City, County ]Open to the Public" to cop a feel" of how Good or Bad Your Local Government Rates. " We the People "

Post imported post

Southgate's local law does not override state law. If someone does get arrested over this I hope Southgate understands when they lose in a big lawsuit.

Post imported post

CM2624 Might i suggest that you go out and test case the area, I went out in the Battle Creek area last year, and I called the police after i was detained about OCing, and went to the City Commission meetings, went to the City Attorney's office, Got the ordnance's removed, and Nobody in battle Creek has been detained since.

And since you are giving Advise, might i suggest that you go ahead and be the test case your areafor the state of Michigan , as of right know there has been no case history that i am aware of, and when you win this BIG LAWSUIT then you could donate some or all of the profits to a pro-gun organisation of your choice to furtherour rights.

It is not about the money for me, it is about education, and getting back and holding onto the rights that my forefathers fought for...

Sincerely Mastiff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast