• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WARNING: even if you have a CPL stay out of Southgate, MI

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I know this is not valid, but a new member from Southgate ( kevinjames ) brought this to my attention and he is afraid to OC. Sounds like they need an education in Southgate.:shock:

692.02 DANGEROUS WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) No person shall, in the City, possess any machine gun, sawed off shotgun, any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, sling shot, sand club, sandbag, switchblade knife or metal knuckles, or any instrument, attachment or appliance for causing the firing of any firearm to be silent or intended to lessen or muffle the noise of the firing of any firearm, except as otherwise permitted by law.
(1974 Code Sec. 9.69)
(b) No person shall, while within the City, possess, with intent to use unlawfully against another or to use in an unlawful manner, whether directed at a person or object, any imitation
chapter692weaponsandexplosives
pistol
, dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, knife, bow, bow and arrow, arrow or other dangerous instrument or instrumentality.
(Ord. 551. Passed 2-23-94.)
692.03 CARRYING CONCEALED WEAPONS. No person shall have or carry any
pistol
, knife, dirk, knuckles, sling shot or other dangerous weapon concealed on his or her person.

(Ord. 405. Passed 1-23-85.)

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Posted: Thu May 20th, 2010 01:33 am kevinjames wrote:
Does anyone know where southgate stands with the open carry law??

They are in violation per their posted codes online! Type pistol or gun to see bad ordinances. According to this even if you have a CPL you cannot carry. WOW! I guess no one told them state law trumps local law?
Glock9mmOldStyle

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Michigan/southgatemi/codifiedordinancesofsouthgatemichigan?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:southgate_mi

Type pistol in search box to see bad code on books still.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

He ( kevinjames ) is afraid of being arrested. He is new to OC and being newer myself I can understand his concerns. That's why I offered to OC with him if he wants.

Plus no LEO I've ever met wants to hassle with dragging my large frame into a patrol car :p !

Just kidding I'm sure many would, laws what laws, badges we don't need no stinking badges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZQMZQCQ

:shock:

Most LEO's good 99% it's that other 1% you've got to worry about.

Michigun

imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle wrot
692.03 CARRYING CONCEALED WEAPONS. No person shall have or carry any pistol, knife, dirk, knuckles, sling shot or other dangerous weapon concealed on his or her person.
It sounds like just an old ordinance. Perhaps they need a letter, and if that doesn't solve it, a council meeting visit.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

See the other Southgate thread by kevinjames. Viper068 just posted about a MWAG call last month, they couldn't get the OC'er on his pistol so they wrote him a bogus ticket for a knife that got thrown out in court....I think it's an issue of not in our town & damn the state laws.

Michigun wrote:
Glock9mmOldStyle wrot
692.03 CARRYING CONCEALED WEAPONS. No person shall have or carry any pistol, knife, dirk, knuckles, sling shot or other dangerous weapon concealed on his or her person.
It sounds like just an old ordinance. Perhaps they need a letter, and if that doesn't solve it, a council meeting visit.

PDinDetroit

imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:
See the other Southgate thread by kevinjames. Viper068 just posted about a MWAG call last month, they couldn't get the OC'er on his pistol so they wrote him a bogus ticket for a knife that got thrown out in court....I think it's an issue of not in our town & damn the state laws.

Michigun wrote:
Glock9mmOldStyle wrot
I think another event like Taylor City Council Meeting is in order.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
detroit_fan wrote:
With a little notice I should be able to attend a southgate metting for support, assuming I can find a babysitter.
Accordingto the Southgate website (Calendar of Events, assumed for June), the next council meeting will probably be June 2nd at 8:00 pm.

http://www.southgatemi.org/events/index.htm

I think we need to talk to Venator 1st, have him send an email, then give them a little time to respond. If they don't reply like Taylor refused to...then we setup a meeting.

Just my 2 cents.

:D

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
detroit_fan wrote:
With a little notice I should be able to attend a southgate metting for support, assuming I can find a babysitter.
Accordingto the Southgate website (Calendar of Events, assumed for June), the next council meeting will probably be June 2nd at 8:00 pm.

I think we need to talk to Venator 1st, have him send an email, then give them a little time to respond. If they don't reply like Taylor refused to...then we setup a meeting.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree, I was giving D_fan a heads up on the meetings.

detroit_fan

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
detroit_fan wrote:

Thanks, for the link. If they fail to respond to a letter i'd be more than happy to show up for support.

DetroitBiker

imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

Has anybody started this ball rolling? 10 days till the council meeting in Southgate. Is that enough time to Organize with Speakers/supporters etc.?

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I sent Venator a PM. I will update as soon as I hear anything about Southgate. I think we could shoot (no pun) for the meeting after the next one. This gives them time.

Venator has a template he uses. Since he is a Senior member it's probably better that he or JeffSayers send them the first contact. If they are tied up on other issues (there are many..Detroit for example) we can ask taxwhat to send it for us.

I'm just trying to follow the chain of command here. This in no way should discourage any of you from sending comments to them as "individual citizens " to get their feedback on the city of Southgate's OC policy. If any exists?

- G9mmOS