• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WARNING: even if you have a CPL stay out of Southgate, MI

taxwhat

imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:
I sent Venator a PM. I will update as soon as I hear anything about Southgate. I think we could shoot (no pun) for the meeting after the next one. This gives them time.

Venator has a template he uses. Since he is a Senior member it's probably better that he or JeffSayers send them the first contact. If they are tied up on other issues (there are many..Detroit for example) we can ask taxwhat to send it for us.

I'm just trying to follow the chain of command here. This in no way should discourage any of you from sending comments to them as "individual citizens " to get their feedback on the city of Southgate's OC policy. If any exists?

- G9mmOS
The above in BOLD is a Thought that works ! " This in no way should discourage any of you from "attending any[ Twp, Village ,City, County ]Open to the Public" to cop a feel" of how Good or Bad Your Local Government Rates. " We the People "

cm2624

imported post

Southgate's local law does not override state law. If someone does get arrested over this I hope Southgate understands when they lose in a big lawsuit.

mastiff69

imported post

CM2624 Might i suggest that you go out and test case the area, I went out in the Battle Creek area last year, and I called the police after i was detained about OCing, and went to the City Commission meetings, went to the City Attorney's office, Got the ordnance's removed, and Nobody in battle Creek has been detained since.

And since you are giving Advise, might i suggest that you go ahead and be the test case your areafor the state of Michigan , as of right know there has been no case history that i am aware of, and when you win this BIG LAWSUIT then you could donate some or all of the profits to a pro-gun organisation of your choice to furtherour rights.

It is not about the money for me, it is about education, and getting back and holding onto the rights that my forefathers fought for...

Sincerely Mastiff

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mastiff69 wrote:
CM2624 Might i suggest that you go out and test case the area, I went out in the Battle Creek area last year, and I called the police after i was detained about OCing, and went to the City Commission meetings, went to the City Attorney's office, Got the ordnance's removed, and Nobody in battle Creek has been detained since.

And since you are giving Advise, might i suggest that you go ahead and be the test case your areafor the state of Michigan , as of right know there has been no case history that i am aware of, and when you win this BIG LAWSUIT then you could donate some or all of the profits to a pro-gun organisation of your choice to furtherour rights.

It is not about the money for me, it is about education, and getting back and holding onto the rights that my forefathers fought for...

Sincerely Mastiff
Thanks for the info mastiff69 - I may very well do this. There is another Southgate thread were someone was detained for OC. When the officer found that he couldn't arrest for OC he charged the man for carrying a concealed weapon (pocket knife). This case was thrown out. I am holding off until I hear if anything was sent to Southgate from MOC. If not I will then move forward. Nothing worse than beating somebody up twice for the same offense ;)

- G9mmOS

sevenplusone

imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:
I know this is not valid, but a new member from Southgate ( kevinjames ) brought this to my attention and he is afraid to OC. Sounds like they need an education in Southgate.:shock:

692.02 DANGEROUS WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) No person shall, in the City, possess any machine gun, sawed off shotgun, any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, sling shot, sand club, sandbag, switchblade knife or metal knuckles, or any instrument, attachment or appliance for causing the firing of any firearm to be silent or intended to lessen or muffle the noise of the firing of any firearm, except as otherwise permitted by law.
(1974 Code Sec. 9.69)
(b) No person shall, while within the City, possess, with intent to use unlawfully against another or to use in an unlawful manner, whether directed at a person or object, any imitation
chapter692weaponsandexplosives
pistol
, dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, knife, bow, bow and arrow, arrow or other dangerous instrument or instrumentality.
(Ord. 551. Passed 2-23-94.)
692.03 CARRYING CONCEALED WEAPONS. No person shall have or carry any
pistol
, knife, dirk, knuckles, sling shot or other dangerous weapon concealed on his or her person.

(Ord. 405. Passed 1-23-85.)
No. I'll go anywhere in Michigan.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

sevenplusone wrote:
Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:
I know this is not valid, but a new member from Southgate ( kevinjames ) brought this to my attention and he is afraid to OC. Sounds like they need an education in Southgate.:shock:

692.02 DANGEROUS WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) No person shall, in the City, possess any machine gun, sawed off shotgun, any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, sling shot, sand club, sandbag, switchblade knife or metal knuckles, or any instrument, attachment or appliance for causing the firing of any firearm to be silent or intended to lessen or muffle the noise of the firing of any firearm, except as otherwise permitted by law.
(1974 Code Sec. 9.69)
(b) No person shall, while within the City, possess, with intent to use unlawfully against another or to use in an unlawful manner, whether directed at a person or object, any imitation
pistol
, dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, knife, bow, bow and arrow, arrow or other dangerous instrument or instrumentality.
pistol
, knife, dirk, knuckles, sling shot or other dangerous weapon concealed on his or her person.

No. I'll go anywhere in Michigan.
Good on you Sir! That's the Spirit! :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Update - I should hear from the MOC board very soon. If they say they have nothing in the works for Southgate, we will move forward with a City Council meeting if needed. I will also be in contact with their Prosecutor & PD on Monday 5/24/10. Pending the feedback we get, we might start planning early next week. Stay tuned this could get interesting very quick!;)

- G9mmOS

cm2624

imported post

mastiff 69, I just used that as an example. I am not trying to get rich quick. There is no waySouthgate could not know that is is legal to OC intheir citysince it is legal in the entire state ofMichigan. I think they just do this because most of the general public has no idea it is legal to OC in any city in Michigan and Southgate wants to have it that way. Their laws need to be updated.

Leader

imported post

cm2624 wrote:
Southgate's local law does not override state law. If someone does get arrested over this I hope Southgate understands when they lose in a big lawsuit.
Of course the problem with this is Cities don't end up getting sued & those that do, don't pay big. Also they have "non-disclosure" agreements written into any settlement & that means to ANYBODY. If the person who accepts the settlement leaks the info, they stand the risk of having to pay it back and maybe other consequences.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Update #3

Just got a call from the Southgate Police Chief. He has contacted the city attorney and they are working on getting the ordinances fixed. He assured me that his officers will not enforce these and also that they know OC is legal.

He asked if I was part of the group at the Taylor City Council meeting last week and I told him yes. So I guess they will be talking with Taylor if they haven't already to see what we are all about. The word is out on us around Downriver apparently. Good Job Members!;)

For now we hold Guys/Gals.

If no progress is made in the near future, then will we move forward with a visit to a council meeting of theirs.

Hats off to the Chief for a very fast response! :)

I view this a a good first step! :celebrate

hopnpop

imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:
692.02 DANGEROUS WEAPONS PROHIBITED.(b) No person shall, while within the City, possess, with intent to use unlawfully against another or to use in an unlawful manner, whether directed at a person or object, any imitation
pistol
pistol

Emphasis in red on the general carry. As per the concealed prohibited, it's preempted and therefore, unenforcable.

detroit_fan

imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:
Update #3

Just got a call from the Southgate Police Chief. He has contacted the city attorney and they are working on getting the ordinances fixed. He assured me that his officers will not enforce these and also that they know OC is legal.

He asked if I was part of the group at the Taylor City Council meeting last week and I told him yes. So I guess they will be talking with Taylor if they haven't already to see what we are all about. The word is out on us around Downriver apparently. Good Job Members!;)

For now we hold Guys/Gals.

If no progress is made in the near future, then will we move forward with a visit to a council meeting of theirs.

Hats off to the Chief for a very fast response! :)

I view this a a good first step! :celebrate
Great job!