Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firearms foibles on TV and in the Movies

Post imported post

I just watched FlashFoward's The Garden of Forking Paths, and noticed an FBI agent, no less, struggling with a semi-auto pistolrigged with external device for pulling the trigger. It was aimed at his partner, and he was struggling with figuring out a way to keep the gun from going off.

I thought, "manually decock the trigger."

Perhaps it didn't occur to the writers, but as I have a CZ 85 B, which does not have a decocking lever, wheneverI load it, I must always manually decock it, as I keep one in the chamber.

Amazingly, the pistol belonged to the FBI agent who was attempting to keep it from firing.

I mean, really! What officer/agent doesn'tdoesn't know their weapon well enough to keep it from firing? At the very least, all he had to do was stick his finger in front of the hammer.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Post imported post

Yeah, we had to laugh about that one ... a quarter out of his pocket would have worked!

cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Post imported post

Have you ever noticed that no matter who, what, when or where... if someone draws a gun you hear the slide action like they just racked a round into the chamber?

And strangely all weapons tend to make the same sound...

Or that even semi-auto pistols make a DA-revolver like "click" when they run out of ammo..?

The only one they tend to get right is the shotgun.

Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar

Post imported post

daddy4count wrote:
    Good thing, too. I wish they would use the shotgun one for every gun.
    There was a time that the pieces fit, but I watched them fall away, mildewed and smoldering, strangled by our coveting. I've done the math enough to know the dangers of our second guessing. Doomed to crumble, unless we grow and strengthen our communication. -Tool, "Schism"

Post imported post

I get irritated every time I see a M4 or M16A2 in Vietnam era movies.

Probably just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Personal responsibility is a facade created by religious people in particular...
    On "Personal Responsibility just after the previous, in the same exact thread.
    Religion uses is as a tool, they did not create it.
    The wheels on the bus go round and round...round and round.

You think that I am ill-equipped...hit me with your best shot Einstein, I am calling you out.

Free will is only slightly a conscious exercise...

Post imported post

daddy4count wrote:
    I can't remember which movie it was, but there was a movie that I saw where the main character "cocked" the shotgun 4 times before actually firing it... Like, when he got the shotgun he racked one, when he got out of the car he racked one, when he was walking he racked one, right before he shot the guy he racked one... Of course, no shells came out when he racked it...

Post imported post

and of course the obligatory 46 rounds fired between reloads...

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...mer-glock.html

GLOCK (real)

What do you expect? Journalists and writers are cerebral, educated people. It would be beneath their intelligence to own or be knowledgeable about firearms.

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar

Post imported post

YoZUpZ wrote:
    daddy4count wrote:
    I can't remember which movie it was, but there was a movie that I saw where the main character "cocked" the shotgun 4 times before actually firing it... Like, when he got the shotgun he racked one, when he got out of the car he racked one, when he was walking he racked one, right before he shot the guy he racked one... Of course, no shells came out when he racked it...
    Well, maybe it was an air gun? Had to pump it up you know. LOL

My favorite is in "Army of Darkness" where Ash (Bruce Cambel) shoots like 30 times with a lever action. Of course, that's meant to be funny.

In just about all of the TV shows and movies the actors are constantly sweeping each other with their muzzles.... gotta love that...:?
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Post imported post

Too many to mention... but one that sticks out is an episode of CSI:Miami (which I stopped watching long ago as it just got too stupid) where the blond chickie determined the make and model of the gun by the sound of the hammer cocking.

Post imported post

Next time you get a chance to watch some sort of cartoon involving a double-barreled shotgun (our favorite rabbit hunter is a good one), take a note of how many times they fire and then pump the action to chamber a new round.

Personally, I don't care. Reality is boring and most people aren't going to know how certain firearms operate. Besides, it can be a very effective device to smash some liberal agenda if "they're" getting their info about firearm operation from Hollywood. :P

Post imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
    YoZUpZ wrote:
    daddy4count wrote:
    Well, maybe it was an air gun? Had to pump it up you know. LOL

bwahahahaha

Post imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
    Too many to mention... but one that sticks out is an episode of CSI:Miami (which I stopped watching long ago as it just got too stupid) where the blond chickie determined the make and model of the gun by the sound of the hammer cocking.
    LOL

Our gobernment is super-elite, according to my TV. :shock:

Post imported post

I always like how someone produces a .380 or .25 semi-auto and people in a room or facing them freak out with, "OMG, he's/she's GOT A GUN!". This seems to happen a lot with women but even the men in a lot of the European movies make incredible one-shot kills and25 yard off-hand shots with little 3.5" Walther/Sig/Jennings clones.

Don't get me wrong, I have a Bersa .380 and a Sig P-230 which I trust and occasionally use for a BUG or CC, but they are hardly so fearsome as Hollywood makes them out.

Post imported post

I recently spent a day home in bed sick, watching bad movies on TV. There was one where every time the bad guy pulled out his gun,( a fairly large 45)he racked the slide.

In one scene, the hero has what looked to me like a Ruger MkII .22 semi-auto. He shoots one of the bad guys who then flies backward through the air several feet with a huge, bloody wound.

Post imported post

One that always gets me, is when they examine a bullet and say, "It's a .357 magnum". Of course, it could also be a .38, but they never say that. Even a 9mm fires nearly the same diameter bullet, but in that case, there are some differences unlike the .357/38 thing.
    You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office

Post imported post

Or when the forensics expert/coroner sees a wound channel the size of a railroad tunnel and says "it must have been an assault rifle."

I really like NCIS, but why do they leave their sidearms in desk drawers?

Post imported post

One time I was watching car chase & action movie clips on YouTube, and I came across one that made me laugh, because it was so over-the-top. A car had come to rest upside down, and there was a gunfight with the car between the two sides. The impact of the handgun bullets made the car spin around.

Post imported post

NCIS is a kickass show... but they scew up as often as the rest of them...

Post imported post

How about all those 1 shot to COM knockdowns with 9mm's? Are the shooters all that good that they always hit the spine? Are they using some special +P+P+ load and hitting the heart? An lastly, whats with all the general LEOS ( not feds) having such high hit ratios? LOL

Or the dark blood that starts pooling out ? So does this mean everyone who is shot on TV and in movies is a zombie? And if they are zombies, how do they bleed like that if they have no heartbeat since they are dead? Surely those squibs can be made smaller...and use a bright fake blood. They also need to get chest hits=less blood, abdominal=more blood, and head shots= lots of blood.

I also wish that some producers would do shows featuring armed citizens, and showing them in a positive light. How about some open carry in OC states? In the nonfictional realm, why not a series about armed citizens where what happened is recreated, and the good guy can opt to be interveiwed as well? You've got reality cop series, series about drug addict interventions, a series about people surviving awful things ( which seldom deals with armed citizens), series about hoarders, shows dealing with psychics on murder cases, and 1 showcalled "Call 911". Why not armed citizens? There is no shortage of true stories. It has even been toned down and mostly ignored on those shows with CCTV footage.

A while back there was a series based on the books " Women's Murder Club" or something like that. I never saw it, butI asked my mother since she loves reading murder mystery and detective novels. She said the women carry concealed, often illegally ( like in CA), and the plot line is something about women getting revenge on those who killed their loved ones ( vigilantes of some sort). The show flopped.

"Jericho" was the only recent series I know of showing armed citizens more positively, but it was set in a post apocolypse USA. The only other shows I can think of related would be the original "V" series, and the "War of the Worlds" series.

Post imported post

In a sixties episode of Dragnet, Friday and his partner go to the scene of a bank robbery. One of the witnesses says the bad guys were armed with a Remington 870 pump in 12 gauge and a 6" Colt Python. One of the cops ridicules the civilian saying"what would he know about guns"? "Well I'm a NRA firearms instructor, competitive shooter and ex-marine"! He also gives a very good description of the two thugs which leads to their capture.

This is the only positive gun related comment I've ever seen attributed to a civilian in a movie or TV program.

Post imported post

even better are the ten minute shootouts where nobody gets shot!

Post imported post

Well, considering some of the actualgunfights that have happened, that's not quite as far-fetched as the others!

Post imported post

Gotta love some of the shows wher someone is wearing avest and they take a shotgun blast at point blank range and just stand there like it was a water gun...

Post imported post

steveinNEPA wrote:
    Gotta love some of the shows wher someone is wearing avest and they take a shotgun blast at point blank range and just stand there like it was a water gun...
    One of the funniest things I've ever seen on tv was when a reporter was showing the effectiveness ofa vest. He obviously believed what he had seen on tv (what Steve is talking about) and was "prepared" to take a hit from a 22 at a range of about 3 feet. As soon as the shot was fired he let out a yell, cursing and doubling over, clutching his chest where he had been hit. I guess he was expecting armor plate, not a fabric vest.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast