• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms foibles on TV and in the Movies

4sooth

imported post

In a sixties episode of Dragnet, Friday and his partner go to the scene of a bank robbery. One of the witnesses says the bad guys were armed with a Remington 870 pump in 12 gauge and a 6" Colt Python. One of the cops ridicules the civilian saying"what would he know about guns"? "Well I'm a NRA firearms instructor, competitive shooter and ex-marine"! He also gives a very good description of the two thugs which leads to their capture.

This is the only positive gun related comment I've ever seen attributed to a civilian in a movie or TV program.

Gordie

imported post

steveinNEPA wrote:
Gotta love some of the shows wher someone is wearing avest and they take a shotgun blast at point blank range and just stand there like it was a water gun...
One of the funniest things I've ever seen on tv was when a reporter was showing the effectiveness ofa vest. He obviously believed what he had seen on tv (what Steve is talking about) and was "prepared" to take a hit from a 22 at a range of about 3 feet. As soon as the shot was fired he let out a yell, cursing and doubling over, clutching his chest where he had been hit. I guess he was expecting armor plate, not a fabric vest.

open4years

imported post

I'm bothered by the total lack of gun knowledge in TV and movies. The scene: a guy is walking quietly up some stairs, in low light, and when he is at the right room, he chambers a round! He fires his gun, then later in the scene, he will rack the slide again!

The other common mistakes are with Glocks. He waits until he is just a few feet away from his target and you hear a click, he turned the safety off - when there is no safety! Grrrrr

zack991

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
Too many to mention... but one that sticks out is an episode of CSI:Miami (which I stopped watching long ago as it just got too stupid) where the blond chickie determined the make and model of the gun by the sound of the hammer cocking.
One episode they found a 9mm casing and the "blondie" said that it came from a glock. The red head moron said that only law enforcement is allowed to use that weapon.

gsx1138

imported post

zack991 wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:
Too many to mention... but one that sticks out is an episode of CSI:Miami (which I stopped watching long ago as it just got too stupid) where the blond chickie determined the make and model of the gun by the sound of the hammer cocking.
One episode they found a 9mm casing and the "blondie" said that it came from a glock. The red head moron said that only law enforcement is allowed to use that weapon.

According to a famous Youtube video they are the only ones qualified to handle that weapon. :)

bomber

imported post

gsx1138 wrote:
zack991 wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:

According to a famous Youtube video they are the only ones qualified to handle that weapon. :)

this iz a glawk foty

bomber

imported post

zack991 wrote:
zoom6zoom wrote:

you cant be serious

daddy4count

imported post

ten minute shootouts where nobody gets shot
I call it the "A-Team Effect"

Small warehouse, five guys against fifty, automatic weapon fire, grenades, maybe even a truck mounted machine gun... bodies fly through the air, thousands of rounds fired seemingly hit nothing...

If Hollywood is to be believed the AK-47 has to be the least accurate weapon on the planet... :p

celticredneck

imported post

daddy4count wrote:

Small warehouse, five guys against fifty, automatic weapon fire, grenades, maybe even a truck mounted machine gun... bodies fly through the air, thousands of rounds fired seemingly hit nothing...

If Hollywood is to be believed the AK-47 has to be the least accurate weapon on the planet... :p
My favorite "A" Team was when BA actually got hit. He was hit in the shoulder with a .50 machine gun round and not only lived, but still had an arm.

eye95

imported post

celticredneck wrote:
daddy4count wrote:

My favorite "A" Team was when BA actually got hit. He was hit in the shoulder with a .50 machine gun round and not only lived, but still had an arm.
Probability is often defined in terms of area. If TV and movies were an accurate representation of they typical distribution of gunshot wounds, the human body is 96% shoulder, 2% butt, and 2% everything else.

AL Ranger

imported post

About the most pro-gunaction concerninga citizen in a TV show was on Criminal Minds. While riding a train,a female FBI agent was disarmed by a mental patient who was schizophrenic and suffering delusions. Another FBI agent (Dr Reid), going in unarmed, tried to talk him down. The patient had already shot one man and was ready to go off on the agent when he was shot by a citizen carrying a concealed pistol.

Overtaxed

imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
One time I was watching car chase & action movie clips on YouTube, and I came across one that made me laugh, because it was so over-the-top. A car had come to rest upside down, and there was a gunfight with the car between the two sides. The impact of the handgun bullets made the car spin around.

I think that was Last Action Hero, and the car-spinning thing was supposed to represent action film hyperbole.