• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms foibles on TV and in the Movies

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I just watched FlashFoward's The Garden of Forking Paths, and noticed an FBI agent, no less, struggling with a semi-auto pistolrigged with external device for pulling the trigger. It was aimed at his partner, and he was struggling with figuring out a way to keep the gun from going off.

I thought, "manually decock the trigger."

Perhaps it didn't occur to the writers, but as I have a CZ 85 B, which does not have a decocking lever, wheneverI load it, I must always manually decock it, as I keep one in the chamber.

Amazingly, the pistol belonged to the FBI agent who was attempting to keep it from firing.

I mean, really! What officer/agent doesn'tdoesn't know their weapon well enough to keep it from firing? At the very least, all he had to do was stick his finger in front of the hammer.

daddy4count

imported post

Have you ever noticed that no matter who, what, when or where... if someone draws a gun you hear the slide action like they just racked a round into the chamber?

And strangely all weapons tend to make the same sound...

Or that even semi-auto pistols make a DA-revolver like "click" when they run out of ammo..?

The only one they tend to get right is the shotgun.

YoZUpZ

imported post

daddy4count wrote:
I can't remember which movie it was, but there was a movie that I saw where the main character "cocked" the shotgun 4 times before actually firing it... Like, when he got the shotgun he racked one, when he got out of the car he racked one, when he was walking he racked one, right before he shot the guy he racked one... Of course, no shells came out when he racked it... :lol:

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/concealed-carry-issues-discussions/42323-what-color-your-gun-hammer-glock.html

GLOCK (real)

What do you expect? Journalists and writers are cerebral, educated people. It would be beneath their intelligence to own or be knowledgeable about firearms.

glock.jpg
glock.jpg

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

YoZUpZ wrote:
daddy4count wrote:
I can't remember which movie it was, but there was a movie that I saw where the main character "cocked" the shotgun 4 times before actually firing it... Like, when he got the shotgun he racked one, when he got out of the car he racked one, when he was walking he racked one, right before he shot the guy he racked one... Of course, no shells came out when he racked it... :lol:

Well, maybe it was an air gun? Had to pump it up you know. LOL

My favorite is in "Army of Darkness" where Ash (Bruce Cambel) shoots like 30 times with a lever action. Of course, that's meant to be funny.

In just about all of the TV shows and movies the actors are constantly sweeping each other with their muzzles.... gotta love that...:?

zoom6zoom

imported post

Too many to mention... but one that sticks out is an episode of CSI:Miami (which I stopped watching long ago as it just got too stupid) where the blond chickie determined the make and model of the gun by the sound of the hammer cocking.

onlurker

imported post

Next time you get a chance to watch some sort of cartoon involving a double-barreled shotgun (our favorite rabbit hunter is a good one), take a note of how many times they fire and then pump the action to chamber a new round.

Personally, I don't care. Reality is boring and most people aren't going to know how certain firearms operate. Besides, it can be a very effective device to smash some liberal agenda if "they're" getting their info about firearm operation from Hollywood. :p

bomber

imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
YoZUpZ wrote:
daddy4count wrote:

Well, maybe it was an air gun? Had to pump it up you know. LOL
bwahahahaha:lol::lol:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
Too many to mention... but one that sticks out is an episode of CSI:Miami (which I stopped watching long ago as it just got too stupid) where the blond chickie determined the make and model of the gun by the sound of the hammer cocking.
LOL

Our gobernment is super-elite, according to my TV. :shock:

ecocks

imported post

I always like how someone produces a .380 or .25 semi-auto and people in a room or facing them freak out with, "OMG, he's/she's GOT A GUN!". This seems to happen a lot with women but even the men in a lot of the European movies make incredible one-shot kills and25 yard off-hand shots with little 3.5" Walther/Sig/Jennings clones.

Don't get me wrong, I have a Bersa .380 and a Sig P-230 which I trust and occasionally use for a BUG or CC, but they are hardly so fearsome as Hollywood makes them out.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I recently spent a day home in bed sick, watching bad movies on TV. There was one where every time the bad guy pulled out his gun,( a fairly large 45)he racked the slide.

In one scene, the hero has what looked to me like a Ruger MkII .22 semi-auto. He shoots one of the bad guys who then flies backward through the air several feet with a huge, bloody wound.

celticredneck

imported post

One that always gets me, is when they examine a bullet and say, "It's a .357 magnum". Of course, it could also be a .38, but they never say that. Even a 9mm fires nearly the same diameter bullet, but in that case, there are some differences unlike the .357/38 thing.

WheelGun

imported post

Or when the forensics expert/coroner sees a wound channel the size of a railroad tunnel and says "it must have been an assault rifle."

I really like NCIS, but why do they leave their sidearms in desk drawers?

Flyer22

imported post

One time I was watching car chase & action movie clips on YouTube, and I came across one that made me laugh, because it was so over-the-top. A car had come to rest upside down, and there was a gunfight with the car between the two sides. The impact of the handgun bullets made the car spin around.

XD40coyote

imported post

How about all those 1 shot to COM knockdowns with 9mm's? Are the shooters all that good that they always hit the spine? Are they using some special +P+P+ load and hitting the heart? An lastly, whats with all the general LEOS ( not feds) having such high hit ratios? LOL

Or the dark blood that starts pooling out ? So does this mean everyone who is shot on TV and in movies is a zombie? And if they are zombies, how do they bleed like that if they have no heartbeat since they are dead? Surely those squibs can be made smaller...and use a bright fake blood. They also need to get chest hits=less blood, abdominal=more blood, and head shots= lots of blood.

I also wish that some producers would do shows featuring armed citizens, and showing them in a positive light. How about some open carry in OC states? In the nonfictional realm, why not a series about armed citizens where what happened is recreated, and the good guy can opt to be interveiwed as well? You've got reality cop series, series about drug addict interventions, a series about people surviving awful things ( which seldom deals with armed citizens), series about hoarders, shows dealing with psychics on murder cases, and 1 showcalled "Call 911". Why not armed citizens? There is no shortage of true stories. It has even been toned down and mostly ignored on those shows with CCTV footage.

A while back there was a series based on the books " Women's Murder Club" or something like that. I never saw it, butI asked my mother since she loves reading murder mystery and detective novels. She said the women carry concealed, often illegally ( like in CA), and the plot line is something about women getting revenge on those who killed their loved ones ( vigilantes of some sort). The show flopped.

"Jericho" was the only recent series I know of showing armed citizens more positively, but it was set in a post apocolypse USA. The only other shows I can think of related would be the original "V" series, and the "War of the Worlds" series.