• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Florida Open Carry Event

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm still trying to sort out the head count but the more the better! Come on up!

04_Mach_1

imported post

i was just curious, being that its the holiday weekend &the race going on i try to stay away from that area. traffic is way too bad. but me and the family might attend. my son is 5 and i want him to start learning the responsible way.

i'm curious if you have received any response of a protest or anything of the likes going to be there? just hoping it will be a pleasant event for all.

also have you put up any fliers at strickland or asked the gun shops locally to help bring in people to support?

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I know the guys at the indoor range are promoting it and I am planning to print up something to bring to Strickland this weekend.

Traffic in Port Orange is NOTHING compared to what you will find around the speedway. Shouldn't be too bad at all.

I don't anticipate any type of anti turnout but if there is, we will simply hand them a "Florida Carry Rights" flier and ignore them. All of the response thus far has been very positive.

77zach

Would love to go

But I live about 2 hours away, and I don't fish. It's great that people are finally taking some initiative. Most excellent!

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
Come on down anyway. You don't have to be very good at fishing to fish. Come wet a hook and smile for the camera. Looks like we may get some press.

M

McX

dang, i saw the pic of the location for your upcoming event; that's the bridge we use every time we come down to florida to visit, i even remember the pier. best wishes, and good luck, and good fishing to all you who attend this event. i wish i could be there! it will be historic- right on florida carry!

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
Florida State Representative Dorthy Hukill will be coming out to join us tomorrow if the weather holds.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
Even with the weather forecast being on the wet side we still had a total turnout of about 15 people. Everything went very well and the exchange with the News Journal reporter seemed positive.

Expect more events in Melbourne, Lake County, Jacksonville, and Orlando.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
Should have taken more pictures...

Attachments

• IMG00031-20100703-1044.jpg
    IMG00031-20100703-1044.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 173

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
Actually I invited the police to attend, they were in the area for about the first two hours. Nice guys.

No fish but we weren't trying very hard.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
Florida Open Carry aims for change in gun laws

http://www.news-journalonline.com/n...a-open-carry-aims-for-change-in-gun-laws.html

Florida Open Carry aims for change in gun laws

Special to The News-Journal
July 4, 2010 12:05 AM

Sean Caranna, founder of Florida Open Carry, fishes Saturday — one of few places people may carry unconcealed guns. N-J photo

PORT ORANGE -- Sean Caranna didn't pull his .40-caliber pistol while he fished Saturday morning at Dunlawton Causeway Park.

Nearby, Karl Brown didn't draw the 9mm strapped to his waist. Kevin Green didn't even touch his .357 revolver, holstered on his right hip.

But all three men, proud gun owners and members of the grass-roots organization Florida Open Carry, were openly armed at the pier at 9 a.m., part of their campaign to restore the right to carry an unconcealed firearm anytime in Florida.

"If you don't fight for the rights you got, you lose 'em all," Brown, a Deltona gun owner, said before he started fishing.

The fishing pier represents one of the few places people may carry unconcealed firearms in Florida, where state law essentially prohibits open carrying. The law has a few exceptions, including an allowance for people who are target shooting, hunting, fishing or camping (or traveling to or from one of those activities) to openly carry a gun.

"It's pretty much been interpreted as directly to and from," Caranna said. "If you make a stop at Walmart on the way to pick up bait, well, you're not fishing."

Thus you'd be breaking the law with a gun on your hip. But Caranna, the organization's founder and a former Army infantryman, contends that limit (similar laws are on the books in Texas and Illinois) infringes on his constitutional right to bear arms.

A Florida concealed carry permit costs $112 plus the cost of fingerprinting, which Caranna equates to a sort of poll tax -- a fee to exercise a guaranteed right.

Saturday's fishing event was a small Independence Day weekend celebration, with the three men on one pier and a few others who Caranna said showed up later at another pier nearby. Two Port Orange police officers stationed themselves in the parking lot -- Caranna requested them -- in case an alarmed passer-by called 911 to report there were gunmen fishing. One officer politely declined to comment on the open carry issue.

Brown, who said his wife recently was mugged in an Orlando mall parking lot, said the seconds it takes to retrieve and aim a concealed firearm can be costly during a confrontation with an attacker, and "in this county, you can get a pizza delivered faster than 9-1-1 response."

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence has opposed open-carry movements across the U.S. and recently opened a petition to demand coffee giant Starbucks ban guns in all its shops.

The campaign's website describes open carrying as "inherently threatening and intimidating," especially in retail stores where other customers see a gun and call police, "creating a volatile and potentially dangerous situation."

Caranna said absent gun permits, background checks during the firearm purchasing process keep criminals and people who have been deemed mentally incompetent from owning guns.

"Today we got lucky. Today we got to carry a cop," Caranna said, nodding toward the officers. When they're not at your side, he said, "you take the wrong turn down the wrong street, you're going to be real inadequate."

Last edited:

Mas49.56

Great job guys! The more I read about the strict-scrutiny standard that now applies, the more it looks to me that the OC ban will not survive Judicial review.

Rev Charlie

so do we have a head count? Me and the son might show up.

Greetings,

I often go there in the evenings and fish and educate folks about their right to Open Carry while fishing.

Have No Idea if I've gotten anyone to listen yet, however????:question:

Please email me at charliewilsonfb@gmail.com if you and your son would like to meet some evening and fish.

God Bless!
Rev Charlie

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Has anyone tried doing this in a non-organized, non-group, not calling ahead to tell the cops first, etc...?

Yeah...