• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Florida Open Carry Event

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Join Florida Open Carry for the first Open Carry Fishing Event in the Daytona area for the independence day weekend!

Saturday, July 3rd starting at 9am,
Dunlawton Causeway Park, Port Orange, Florida, on the Halifax River.

We will be at the pier West of the Bait Shop near the jet ski ramp.

You will need your saltwater fishing license (shoreline license available free) to fish and you have to be fishing (or going directly to and from) to OC.

We have coordinated with the Port Orange Police Department and City Attorney's Office to make sure the police are properly trained and we have a positive Open Carry event.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Here's a link to the location: http://parks.port-orange.org/pocp.htm

And pictures of the pier we will be using.

IMG_7442%20r.jpg

causeway%20park%20west.jpg

Wanshig

imported post

doubt I would be able to make this, but in case anyone else is curious and doesn't want to ask...

and recommendations for what level security the holster should be when open carrying? and what condition should the gun be in the holster?

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wanshig wrote:
... recommendations for what level security the holster should be when open carrying? and what condition should the gun be in the holster?
Fishing requires a lot of bending, casting, stretching, reaching, and such; so retention is a concern. I received most of my training in the military. I use a military field holster with a flap. I'm accustomed to it and it has served me well.

Your condition level and holster of choice is a decision you have to make for yourself depending on your level of training, comfort, threat, retention requirement, etc...

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There are grills on site. If someone else will bring soda and chips, I'll bring burgers.

Just need to get a headcount.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I met with the Port Orange PD today to make sure that we are all on the same page; Everything went very well and I'm sure we will have a great day.
As long as you are fishing and remain in the general fishing area you are OK to open carry. No problem if we need to run to the restroom or want to put some burgers on the grill there near the peer. Open carry is also fine directly on the way to and from where you will be fishing. Making a pit-stop at walmart or going inside the gas station would be treated at a detour and result in a less pleasant day.
The Port Orange PD did recommend arriving early to make sure we get good parking spots. As always, expect a parking ticket if you illegally park at the port orange causeway park.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

:shock:

No, wait.

I can make it. But I'm not fishing (not paying for a fishing license, that's even worse than paying for air), nor OCing. I'm going to actually have to see FL Cops not kill you all for laughs, first.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ixtow wrote:

No, wait.

I can make it. But I'm not fishing (not paying for a fishing license, that's even worse than paying for air), nor OCing. I'm going to actually have to see FL Cops not kill you all for laughs, first.
Yes... because the police in Florida are apparently from Tiananmen Square? :banghead:

The three officers I met with were all very reasonable and courteous. This is actually a very gun friendly area.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

StogieC wrote:
Yes... because the police in Florida are apparently from Tiananmen Square? :banghead:
My experiences with FL Cops have been almost entirely "Kill him, he knows about our Meth Business!"

...already discussed elsewhere on this forum to the maximum extent I intend to.

I'd be glad to OC in AZ, NM, UT, NV, VA, etc... But even with these 'when fishing' exceptions... I don't trust people who have tried to kill me at least a dozen times.

Call me what you will, and I hope you're right. But I wouldn't put it past them to act cool with it, then just kill everyone and there be no mention of it in the news.

Out on a dock, no cover? No way in HELL I'd do something like that with FL Cops around, much less pre-informed!

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Now, for those of us who would like to promote responsible open carry in Florida and do not fear that the po-po will shoot a torpedo at the fishing peer...

I've started a meet-up group to help keep us coordinated. Please join up. http://www.meetup.com/Florida-Open-Carry/

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mas49.56 wrote:
To far away for me, but I hope you guys have a good time.:cool:
How about organizing one in the panhandle? Just watch out for the tar balls.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Good News! Effective July 1, 2010 the Saltwater Shoreline Fishing license, which is available only to residents, is a no cost license.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
Sean, I'd love to attend bro, but don't think i'd make it out there. good luck and have fun.
Yeah, long drive from TX to FL to go fishing with pistol on your hip.

I wonder if you guys could do the same thing in Texas... Any exceptions for fishing there?

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
imported post

StogieC wrote:
DKSuddeth wrote:
Sean, I'd love to attend bro, but don't think i'd make it out there. good luck and have fun.
Yeah, long drive from TX to FL to go fishing with pistol on your hip.

I wonder if you guys could do the same thing in Texas... Any exceptions for fishing there?
Texas PC 46.15 (b) (3) is engaging in lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en route between the premises and the actor's residence or motor vehicle, if the weapon is a type commonly used in the activity;

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/InternetForms/Forms/CHL-16.pdf
Get out your fishing poles Texas!

thejax

imported post

I am actually interested in attending this. I don't like to fish though. I guess though if I get a fishing license and show up i am still good to go and can hang out, huh?

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bring a pole and throw a line in the water with some form of natural or artificial bait. You are now FISHING and legal to OC.