Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how much ammo do you take along?

Post imported post

Curious how much additional ammo you take along with you when you open carry besides what is loaded in the gun?

I carry one extra mag when I have my hi power

Trying to decide how many speedloaders to take along when I carry my model 67 smith and wesson revolver

I am thinking I can't imagine a situation where i would be reloading more than once.

Post imported post

I carry a Glock 36 in .45 ACP with 6 rounds. That's it. I use to carry two additional magazines with 6 rounds each but that got cumbersome. I figure if I need more than those 6 rounds I will be running away anyway. Besides the G36 for carry here in Wisconsin I occasionally carry a 5 shot model 85 Taurus in .38 Special. No extra rounds for it either when I do. I always hope I never have to use it and if I do my aim will be true.
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

Post imported post

Ionly care an extra mag with my hi power because it has a handy built in mag pouch on the holster.

I probably don't even need to carry a speedloader .My 67 holds 6 rds.i hate to think of the mess I would be in to ever have a need for more than that.If I ever do have to take a shot,i hope to not need to fire more than 1,but I have never been in an encounter so don't know what to expect.I guess I like to be prepared,but how much is enough is an unknown.

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

I carry no extra mags or ammo, but I have 16+1 capacity. Not too shabby for a .40 S&W huh?

Post imported post

I think you have things covered there Nutczak

Post imported post

Same as Nutz ...my Glock has A 17 round magazine , loaded with +P 115 Grain Hollow Points....if I need more than that well then I am SOL...:?
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Post imported post

How much ammo do I take along? Where? In my car? Quite a bit.

On my person? Minimum of one, ideally two extra mags, 10-15 rounds each, depending upon the gun. (G27 mag holds 10, G23 holds 13, G35 & G20 hold 15.)

For a revolver: 2 speed loaders, 5-6 rounds each, depending.

Semiauto malfunctions are frequently magazine-related, so it behooves one to carry at least one spare.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Post imported post

Shotgun wrote:
    How much ammo do I take along? Where? In my car? Quite a bit.

On my person? Minimum of one, ideally two extra mags, 10-15 rounds each, depending upon the gun. (G27 mag holds 10, G23 holds 13, G35 & G20 hold 15.)

For a revolver: 2 speed loaders, 5-6 rounds each, depending.

Semiauto malfunctions are frequently magazine-related, so it behooves one to carry at least one spare.
    Hey Shotgun! Good to meet you at the picnic Sunday! I think if you are having "malfunctions" with your "magazines" then you must be "limp wristed". LOL!

“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

Post imported post

Never had one of those, but I've seen magazines with springs that would hang up. Never a problem on a Glock I've owned. I mark my mags so I can identify a problem one easily. Most magazine malfunctions aren't really due to the magazine but to the operator failing to fully insert the magazine.

Can't imagine anyone limp-wristing under combat conditions. More likely a rigid death-grip from the adrenalin.

Good to see you also!
    A. Gold

McX

Post imported post

shotgun, you'd best have signed my shirt!

Post imported post

I have 15 high cap Glock 9mm mags, never an issue...
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

McX

Post imported post

hell glock, everyone knows how you answer the question of how much ammo do you carry?: all of it.

Post imported post

I carry two mags, one in my gun, and one on my belt. Mostly because my .45 can only hold 8+1. Damn you 1911's!!! Damn you!..j/k, IMHO if your still standing after being hit with 8 rnds of .45, you deserve to walk away!
    Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

McX

Post imported post

extended mag?

Post imported post

McX wrote:
    extended mag?
    Never really was a fan of the extended mags for 1911's, they look a lil too goofy and are too cumbersum IMO. But I've got my mag change time down fast enuff so I think I'll be alrite!
    Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

McX

Post imported post

i'm just dying; gander mountain's got a flyer deal for a nice 1911, with a retention holster, 3 total mags, and a double holder for like $800, got no money so all i can do is cry. someday my 1911 shall come.

Post imported post

McX wrote:
    i'm just dying; gander mountain's got a flyer deal for a nice 1911, with a retention holster, 3 total mags, and a double holder for like $800, got no money so all i can do is cry. someday my 1911 shall come.
    Not sure if it matters, but theres one on Armslist for $500,comes with 3 mags. It's the taurus clone but I've got the same one and I dare anyone to tell the difference. Colts be damned!
    Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Post imported post

McX wrote:
    Oh, he did! He was one of the first to sign it. I think I noticed his "limp wrist" when he held the pen! LOL!

—John F. Kennedy

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Usually just the gun with the 7-round mag in it. Sometimes I throw another mag in the back pocket, depending on where I am going.

Post imported post

rcawdor57 wrote:
    McX wrote:
    Oh, he did! He was one of the first to sign it. I think I noticed his "limp wrist" when he held the pen! LOL!
    Oh yes I did sign it. Sorry, rcawdor57, I write left-handed, but shoot with my right. Allows me to multitask.
    A. Gold

Post imported post

Landose_theghost wrote:
    McX wrote:
    Not sure if it matters, but theres one on Armslist for $500,comes with 3 mags. It's the taurus clone but I've got the same one and I dare anyone to tell the difference. Colts be damned!
    My next pistol will be the, Springfield Armory 1911 Operator w/ the acc rail for lights.

Post imported post

Landose_theghost wrote:
    McX wrote:

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Glock34 wrote:
    Landose_theghost wrote:
    McX wrote:
    My next pistol will be the, Springfield Armory 1911 Operator w/ the acc rail for lights.
    Are you aware the springfield is coming out with an XDm in .45ACP in a few weeks?
    Yeah the 1911's are neat, they got a great history, but I feel they are an antiquated design compared to the other .45's out there.

Post imported post

Nutczak wrote:
    Glock34 wrote:
    Landose_theghost wrote:
    McX wrote:
    Are you aware the springfield is coming out with an XDm in .45ACP in a few weeks?
    Yeah the 1911's are neat, they got a great history, but I feel they are an antiquated design compared to the other .45's out there.
    I was not aware of that, XD's are nice pistols. But, the 1911 - it's a functional Combat trophy piece.

Post imported post

Y'know I never was an XD fan, I am however a BIG fan of the Taurus PT-945:

http://www.thegunsource.com/item/994...4_25_FS_9.aspx

It's got all the goodies that come on a 92fs, but it's got the stopping power of the .45!
    Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast