• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

how much ammo do you take along?

revolverrandy

imported post

Curious how much additional ammo you take along with you when you open carry besides what is loaded in the gun?

I carry one extra mag when I have my hi power

Trying to decide how many speedloaders to take along when I carry my model 67 smith and wesson revolver

I am thinking I can't imagine a situation where i would be reloading more than once.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I carry a Glock 36 in .45 ACP with 6 rounds. That's it. I use to carry two additional magazines with 6 rounds each but that got cumbersome. I figure if I need more than those 6 rounds I will be running away anyway. Besides the G36 for carry here in Wisconsin I occasionally carry a 5 shot model 85 Taurus in .38 Special. No extra rounds for it either when I do. I always hope I never have to use it and if I do my aim will be true.

revolverrandy

imported post

Ionly care an extra mag with my hi power because it has a handy built in mag pouch on the holster.

I probably don't even need to carry a speedloader .My 67 holds 6 rds.i hate to think of the mess I would be in to ever have a need for more than that.If I ever do have to take a shot,i hope to not need to fire more than 1,but I have never been in an encounter so don't know what to expect.I guess I like to be prepared,but how much is enough is an unknown.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Same as Nutz ...my Glock has A 17 round magazine , loaded with +P 115 Grain Hollow Points....if I need more than that well then I am SOL...:?

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

How much ammo do I take along? Where? In my car? Quite a bit.

On my person? Minimum of one, ideally two extra mags, 10-15 rounds each, depending upon the gun. (G27 mag holds 10, G23 holds 13, G35 & G20 hold 15.)

For a revolver: 2 speed loaders, 5-6 rounds each, depending.

Semiauto malfunctions are frequently magazine-related, so it behooves one to carry at least one spare.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Shotgun wrote:
How much ammo do I take along? Where? In my car? Quite a bit.

On my person? Minimum of one, ideally two extra mags, 10-15 rounds each, depending upon the gun. (G27 mag holds 10, G23 holds 13, G35 & G20 hold 15.)

For a revolver: 2 speed loaders, 5-6 rounds each, depending.

Semiauto malfunctions are frequently magazine-related, so it behooves one to carry at least one spare.

Hey Shotgun! Good to meet you at the picnic Sunday! I think if you are having "malfunctions" with your "magazines" then you must be "limp wristed". LOL!

:D

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Never had one of those, but I've seen magazines with springs that would hang up. Never a problem on a Glock I've owned. I mark my mags so I can identify a problem one easily. Most magazine malfunctions aren't really due to the magazine but to the operator failing to fully insert the magazine.

Can't imagine anyone limp-wristing under combat conditions. More likely a rigid death-grip from the adrenalin.

Good to see you also! :monkey

M

McX

imported post

hell glock, everyone knows how you answer the question of how much ammo do you carry?: all of it.:)

Landose_theghost

imported post

I carry two mags, one in my gun, and one on my belt. Mostly because my .45 can only hold 8+1. Damn you 1911's!!! Damn you!..j/k, IMHO if your still standing after being hit with 8 rnds of .45, you deserve to walk away!:lol:

M

McX

imported post

i'm just dying; gander mountain's got a flyer deal for a nice 1911, with a retention holster, 3 total mags, and a double holder for like $800, got no money so all i can do is cry. someday my 1911 shall come.:(

Landose_theghost

imported post

McX wrote:
i'm just dying; gander mountain's got a flyer deal for a nice 1911, with a retention holster, 3 total mags, and a double holder for like $800, got no money so all i can do is cry. someday my 1911 shall come.:(
Not sure if it matters, but theres one on Armslist for $500,comes with 3 mags. It's the taurus clone but I've got the same one and I dare anyone to tell the difference. Colts be damned!

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

rcawdor57 wrote:
McX wrote:
shotgun, you'd best have signed my shirt!

Oh, he did! He was one of the first to sign it. I think I noticed his "limp wrist" when he held the pen! LOL! :D
Oh yes I did sign it. Sorry, rcawdor57, I write left-handed, but shoot with my right. Allows me to multitask.