• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

how much ammo do you take along?

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Landose_theghost wrote:
McX wrote:
i'm just dying; gander mountain's got a flyer deal for a nice 1911, with a retention holster, 3 total mags, and a double holder for like $800, got no money so all i can do is cry. someday my 1911 shall come.:(
Not sure if it matters, but theres one on Armslist for $500,comes with 3 mags. It's the taurus clone but I've got the same one and I dare anyone to tell the difference. Colts be damned!
My next pistol will be the, Springfield Armory 1911 Operator w/ the acc rail for lights.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Landose_theghost wrote:
McX wrote:
i'm just dying; gander mountain's got a flyer deal for a nice 1911, with a retention holster, 3 total mags, and a double holder for like $800, got no money so all i can do is cry. someday my 1911 shall come.:(
Not sure if it matters, but theres one on Armslist for $500,comes with 3 mags. It's the taurus clone but I've got the same one and I dare anyone to tell the difference. Colts be damned!

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Glock34 wrote:
Landose_theghost wrote:
McX wrote:
My next pistol will be the, Springfield Armory 1911 Operator w/ the acc rail for lights.
Are you aware the springfield is coming out with an XDm in .45ACP in a few weeks?
Yeah the 1911's are neat, they got a great history, but I feel they are an antiquated design compared to the other .45's out there.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
Landose_theghost wrote:
McX wrote:
Are you aware the springfield is coming out with an XDm in .45ACP in a few weeks?
Yeah the 1911's are neat, they got a great history, but I feel they are an antiquated design compared to the other .45's out there.
I was not aware of that, XD's are nice pistols. But, the 1911 - it's a functional Combat trophy piece.

Captain Nemo

imported post

One .38 caliber revolver.Two extra bullets in my pocket. No need to worry about "stovepipes"and magazine jams. I don't care to carry any more ammo than that. In my opinion it fits better with carrying a firearm for personal protection. Most certainly you folks are entitled to your own opinions. If, God forbid, I ever have to use my firearm in self defense the last thing I want is to have the media paint me as a "Rambo" type. Words like; "He was walking around with a loaded firearm on his hip and carrying 34 rounds of ammunition".

The reality of the situation is that most confrontations take place within 10 to 12 feet. Under Wisconsin's current judicial environment anything beyond that brings into question the requirement to flee from the threat, especially if you have no physical evidence of injury. If I can't neutralize a threat with five shots from 12 feet away I probably will R.I.P.

It isn't what you hitit with, or how many times. It is where you hit the target that matters. Anyone that is an avid hunter in Wisconsin knows that to be true. It is also necessary to minimize the number of shots so as to reduce the risk of collateral damage. When a bullet leaves a gun there is no way to bring it back. It is important to know where each one travels. There is no substitute for practice, practice, practice and more practice.

These are my thoughts on the subject. Everyone is entitled to their own. Each person must decide what is best for their situation. Often the environment may dictate the method. Carrying a 3inch barreled .38 caliber revolver with only seven available bullets, while berry picking in the North woods, is little better than hunting bear with a switch. Likewise carrying a S&W .600 with a 7 inch barrel might be out of place in downtown Anywhere.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Captain Nemo wrote:
One .38 caliber revolver.Two extra bullets in my pocket. No need to worry about "stovepipes"and magazine jams. I don't care to carry any more ammo than that. In my opinion it fits better with carrying a firearm for personal protection. Most certainly you folks are entitled to your own opinions. If, God forbid, I ever have to use my firearm in self defense the last thing I want is to have the media paint me as a "Rambo" type. Words like; "He was walking around with a loaded firearm on his hip and carrying 34 rounds of ammunition".

The reality of the situation is that most confrontations take place within 10 to 12 feet. Under Wisconsin's current judicial environment anything beyond that brings into question the requirement to flee from the threat, especially if you have no physical evidence of injury. If I can't neutralize a threat with five shots from 12 feet away I probably will R.I.P.

It isn't what you hitit with, or how many times. It is where you hit the target that matters. Anyone that is an avid hunter in Wisconsin knows that to be true. It is also necessary to minimize the number of shots so as to reduce the risk of collateral damage. When a bullet leaves a gun there is no way to bring it back. It is important to know where each one travels. There is no substitute for practice, practice, practice and more practice.

These are my thoughts on the subject. Everyone is entitled to their own. Each person must decide what is best for their situation. Often the environment may dictate the method. Carrying a 3inch barreled .38 caliber revolver with only seven available bullets, while berry picking in the North woods, is little better than hunting bear with a switch. Likewise carrying a S&W .600 with a 7 inch barrel might be out of place in downtown Anywhere.
I don't disagree with everything that you've said. But sorry, if I have to use my firearm in self defense the last thing that I want the media to paint me is dead. I would not let concerns over the media or public perception take precedence over my security.

I just finished re-reading, for probably the 4th or 5th time, Jim Cirillo's book "Guns, Bullets, and Gunfights." For those of you who don't know, Cirillo was a cop on the NYPD's stakeout squad whose career included over 250 armed confrontations including 17 gunfights. In the book Cirillo describes a shooting where two of his fellow stakeout buddies shot ELEVEN rounds of .38 special into the face and head of an armed robber. They were sure they had killed the guy until he started talking to them, blew one of the rounds out of his nose, and then walked under his own power to the ambulance.

Chances are that you will never need to, nor be able to load that 6th and 7th bullet that you carry in your pocket. Why you would choose the slowest possible reload (aside from a muzzle loader) I don't understand. And it's a partial reload at that.

Yes, most confrontations are up close, but there is no magic distance in the self defense law. There is no duty to retreat under Wisconsin law-- this was settled in 1909 by the WI Supreme Court. If one can safely withdraw, by all means, do it. But circumstances alone, not a magic distance nor law, dictate whether one ought to withdraw.

Likewise, it is always important to do everything reasonable to avoid "collateral damage" to others, but limiting the number of rounds is, in my opinion, less important than controlling the direction of the rounds--- regardless of number.

Practice practice practice is good... but proficiency is better. Proficiency only comes with quality practice, not just lots of practice.

So yes, you can make public perception your most important consideration if you wish. And you can play the odds with your life and rely upon statistical facts that you'll probably have only one or maybe two attackers, and that they'll probably be a threat within 10-12 feet (actually even much closer), and that probably 5 rounds will be enough. Mathematically speaking, it's reasonable. As you said, each must decide what is best for their situation.

Other than where noted above, I agree 100% with you.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Captain Nemo wrote:
the last thing I want is to have the media paint me as a "Rambo" type. Words like; "He was walking around with a loaded firearm on his hip and carrying 34 rounds of ammunition".
How many rounds do the cops typically carry on them and in their guns?
So what is wrong with being equally equipped as law enforcement?

hardballer

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Captain Nemo wrote:
 the last thing I want is to have the media paint me as a "Rambo" type. Words like; "He was walking around with a loaded firearm on his hip and carrying 34 rounds of ammunition".

At least and then some. Bad guys with their spray and pray attitude and pack mentality may need to have things explained to them more than once.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Shotgun wrote:
  There is no duty to retreat under Wisconsin law-- this was settled in 1909 by the WI Supreme Court.  If one can safely withdraw, by all means, do it.  But circumstances alone, not a magic distance nor law, dictate whether one ought to withdraw.
Unfortunately, during a much more recent decision the court decided that the option to retreat goes into the "reasonableness" of claiming the privillege of self defense. I'm on my phone or I'd cite. That decision effectively makes us a duty to retreat state in my opinion, at least to claim perfect self defense.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

No need to cite, I'm familiar with it. It says that it's not improper to instruct a jury to consider the opportunity to retreat when weighing whether one used the proper level of force to terminate unlawful interference. Still there is no DUTY to retreat.

State v. Wenger:

• "Wenger first argues that the trial court erred by giving the pattern jury instruction on self-defense and retreat, Wis J I--Criminal 810, because under Miller v. State, 139 Wis. 57, 119 N.W. 850 (1909), there is no duty to retreat, particularly in one's own home. See State v. Kelley, 107 Wis.2d 540, 319 N.W.2d 869 (1982); State v. Herriges, 155 Wis.2d 297, 455 N.W.2d 635 (Ct. App. 1990). The jury instruction provides:
There is no duty to retreat. However, in determining whether the defendant reasonably believed the amount of force used was necessary to prevent or terminate the interference, you may consider whether the defendant had the opportunity to retreat with safety, whether such retreat was feasible, and whether the defendant knew of the opportunity to retreat."

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thanks for citing that for me. I'll agree with you that there is no duty per se. I will maintain however, that the prosecution will surely instruct the jury in this manner making the claim of perfect self defense possibly rest on your "retreat" or lack therof. Of course, it wouldn't make a difference in some cases and would in others so its kind of in-between "duty to retreat" and "stand your ground" I guess.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Captain Nemo wrote:
Per policy, Madison police must carry one fully loaded handgun plus one extra fully loaded magazine. Since it's set by departmental policy I do not know whether it's similar to most other LE agencies in the state.

Your armament will never be equal to the police, insofar as the police also have things you may or may not, but probably won't have at your disposal: i.e., a partner, backup on the way, radios equipped with automatic distress signals that activate when you're on the ground, a taser and other "less than lethal" weapons, handcuffs, powerful flashlight, a bullet-resistant vest.....

We're more likely to be alone with just our gun and our wits, wits being somewhat more important.

But as a general rule, using the same gun, ammo and holster as the police is not a bad way to go, since LEOs use tested and proven gear. Plus a prosecutor will have a difficult time making an issue of what you carry since it's the same stuff the police carry and shoot.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
Shotgun wrote:
Judges, not prosecutors instruct the jury.
Your right of course... couldn't the prosecution mention it during the trial or closing arguments if the judge didn't?

Sorry, I don't know. Maybe a lawyer will chime in with the answer.

jrm

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Brass Magnet wrote:
Shotgun wrote:
Judges, not prosecutors instruct the jury.
Your right of course... couldn't the prosecution mention it during the trial or closing arguments if the judge didn't?

Sorry, I don't know. Maybe a lawyer will chime in with the answer.
You can't just "mention" something during the trial. That could net you a mistrial.

The attorneys know going in to closing arguments what the jury instructions are going to be (it's already been debated and ruled upon by the judge outside the presence of the jury). They therefore tailor there arguments to fit the anticipated jury instructions. They aren't permitted to tell the jury what the law is. Instead they say things like, "The judge will instruct you that X..." If the prosecutor attempts to say in closing that something is going to be in the jury instructions when he knows it will not be, he again may buy himself a mistrial, or even be found in contempt.

B

bhancock

imported post

8 Hornaday Critical Defense in the gun and 10 FMJ 125 gr. in an extra magazine. 25 years ago I had a little trouble with unauthorized entrance into my apartment, off the record the chief of police advised me to wait until the perp was entirely inside the window then shoot the person 1 time to be dead, no more than twice if the first shot was possibly not a kill. Now that seems a little crude but he said it was better to have only 1 live witness at a trial. I did however find myself once being beaten badly by about 8-11 persons in an ambush and I am thinking it wasn't much fun, so not going for a repeat. Life is a little more secure for me these days, but I think being prepared is best. When away from home having a 9mm for OC, a little more ammo may be better. At home the 12 gauge with a full load of buckshot should work fine.

I would like to be able to connect a few of the faces at the picnic with some of the forum guys here that attend. Any ideas how we could maybe do that at future picnics. Maybe a topic for another post?