• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

how much ammo do you take along?

revolverrandy

imported post

Curious how much additional ammo you take along with you when you open carry besides what is loaded in the gun?

I carry one extra mag when I have my hi power

Trying to decide how many speedloaders to take along when I carry my model 67 smith and wesson revolver

I am thinking I can't imagine a situation where i would be reloading more than once.

M

McX

imported post

one extra mag. stocked with 9, and 9 in the one loaded in.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I carry what's in my mag; that's it. I don't plan on getting into anything extended. I'm not an LEO, my plan is to not get into anything at all but if I do I want to create as much distance aspossible and run away, or fightmy way to the nearest long gun. The rounds in my mag should be enough for that.

bigdaddy1

imported post

I carry 1 in the pistol, 1 extra mag (the holster I chose has a pouch for 1 magazine). There is very little chance of some extended exchange happening. this is not the "old west" to coin a term used by many anti-freedom advocates.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

revolverrandy wrote:
Curious how much additional ammo you take along with you when you open carry besides what is loaded in the gun?

Trying to decide how many speedloaders to take along when I carry my model 67 smith and wesson revolver

I am thinking I can't imagine a situation where i would be reloading more than once.
If you have time to reload, you likely should have been spending that time getting away from the threat. Loading upmy pockets with extra ammo is not something I do.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

More is better than less.

You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass. - Trooper M. Padgett

hardballer

imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
revolverrandy wrote:

Trying to decide how many speedloaders  to take along when I carry my model 67 smith and wesson revolver

If you have time to reload, you likely should have been spending that time getting away from the threat.  Loading up my pockets with extra ammo is not something I do. 
Great Idea I.K., trapped, nowhere to run, multiple BG's and BG is pizzed that you shot at him or them at all, now you're out of ammo 'cause you. . . shoulda been runnin'?

What self-defense book or training manual did you glean that wonderful tidbit of info from? I'm just asking here. 'cause heck, I just might be carrying too much ammo.

vin_w88

imported post

My philosophy, which was handed down to me by my grandfather is as follows.

"It's better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it."

My grandpa learned that back when he was with the Airbourne Rangers during WWII. When I OC which is everyday unless I'm at work or going to a place where I know the facility is non-weapons compliant, I always have one in the pipe, full mag in the pistol and a spare mag. If I can't handle a situation with that, I'm definitely in the mud for sure.