• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Printing in Virginia

scratchkenny

imported post

I went to the Abington seafood Festival yesterday, I asked one of our LEO's about "printing" if it was against the law or what. His reply was no its not, but you had better have a permit for it I ask to see it. Well that answered my question. now i dont worry about it anymore. I carry a xd40 service OWB and i love it. And yes I do open carry more often than CC..

darthmord

imported post

You really don't want to ask police for legal advice. They have just as much of a chance at screwing it up as anyone else. Besides, they won't pretend to be your lawyer at a trial either.

But what he said was true. Printing isn't illegal. The fact that you are concealed carrying IS illegal, unless you have a Virginia issued CHP or a CHP/CWP/CCP from another state whose permitsVA recognizes.

Likewise, if you are concealed carrying you do have to show the permit upon request of the police officer.

Check out this link forthe appropriate laws regarding concealed carry.

Link: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

scratchkenny

imported post

darthmord wrote:
You really don't want to ask police for legal advice. They have just as much of a chance at screwing it up as anyone else. Besides, they won't pretend to be your lawyer at a trial either.

But what he said was true. Printing isn't illegal. The fact that you are concealed carrying IS illegal, unless you have a Virginia issued CHP or a CHP/CWP/CCP from another state whose permitsVA recognizes.

Likewise, if you are concealed carrying you do have to show the permit upon request of the police officer.

Check out this link forthe appropriate laws regarding concealed carry.

Link: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

thanks for the link i'll check it out. Ya i got my permit a few weeks ago.

Dreamer

imported post

scratchkenny wrote:
I asked one of our LEO's about "printing" if it was against the law or what. His reply was no its not, but you had better have a permit for it I ask to see it.
Dispensing legal advice if you are not a licensed attorney is a Class 1 misdemeanor in VA. (VA Code Section 54.1-3904)

If the information an officer gives you is not true, or expresses a personal opinion rather than the letter of the law, it is also a Federal Civil Rights violation, involving "official oppression under color of law"...

Police are NOT lawyers. They are tasked with enforcing the law, investigating crimes, and apprehending suspects after a warrant has been issued. It is the duty of the COURTS and attorneys to "interpret" the law.

Also, according to rulings by the US Supreme Court, an LEO is NOT required to tell you the truth regarding ANYTHING you ask regarding the law. They are allowed to lie to you, engaging in "fishing expeditions" and can ask leading questions to try to get you to admit to something you may or may not have done, even if there is no evidence of a crime, or they have no reasonable suspicion.

The only time you should speak with an LEO is when he approached you in an official manner, and even then, the only thing you should say is "am I being detained" or "I need to speak with my lawyer before answering any questions"...

If the clothes you are wearing make it impossible to carry concealed without printing, then you should just Open Carry. It is perfectly legal in VA. And if an LEO asks for your CC permit while open carrying, that is actually prohibited under VA law, and treading dangerously close to an "official oppression under color of law" violation under Federal law...

Name and address. "Am I being detained?. "I need to talk with my lawyer." nothing else should come out of your mouth, or your pockets if you are OCing...

Welcome, and good luck.

scratchkenny

imported post

:cuss:"Also, according to rulings by the US Supreme Court, an LEO is NOT required to tell you the truth regarding ANYTHING you ask regarding the law. They are allowed to lie to you, engaging in "fishing expeditions" and can ask leading questions to try to get you to admit to something you may or may not have done, even if there is no evidence of a crime, or they have no reasonable suspicion."

WOW thats scary thanks for the info

nova

imported post

If you're printing, he can ask to see your CHP to make sure you aren't committing a class 1 misdemeanor.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If you're printing and therefore someone knows you're carrying a gun, it's not concealed, is it? :celebrate

(OK, I'm kidding.....)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Tess wrote:
If you're printing and therefore someone knows you're carrying a gun, it's not concealed, is it? :celebrate

(OK, I'm kidding.....)
You were starting to worry me Tess.:uhoh:

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
And if an LEO asks for your CC permit while open carrying, that is actually prohibited under VA law, and treading dangerously close to an "official oppression under color of law" violation under Federal law...

I think you are wording your response incorrectly. There is no prohibition against a LEO in regards to asking you for a CHP if you are carrying openly. He may ask, you are just not required to produce one unless you are carrying concealed:

18.2-308 H........."The person issued the permit shall have such permit on his person at all times during which he is carrying a concealed handgun and shall display the permit and a photo-identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth or by the United States Department of Defense or United States State Department (passport) upon demand by a law-enforcement officer".

Nothing there prohibits the officer from asking, it only requires the permit holder to produce a CHP when carrying concealed.

mrt6812

imported post

what's "printing"? I tried reading the info in the link and also the other posts but couldn't find anything.

2a4all

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Dreamer wrote:
And if an LEO asks for your CC permit while open carrying, that is actually prohibited under VA law, and treading dangerously close to an "official oppression under color of law" violation under Federal law...

I think you are wording your response incorrectly. There is no prohibition against a LEO in regards to asking you for a CHP if you are carrying openly. He may ask, you are just not required to produce one unless you are carrying concealed:

18.2-308 H........."The person issued the permit shall have such permit on his person at all times during which he is carrying a concealed handgun and shall display the permit and a photo-identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth or by the United States Department of Defense or United States State Department (passport) upon demand by a law-enforcement officer".

Nothing there prohibits the officer from asking, it only requires the permit holder to produce a CHP when carrying concealed.
There is one instance wherein one might want to show a CHP, even while OCing. If you are within 1000' of a school and a LEO observes you OCing, s/he may choose to ask for your CHP to ascertain that you can legally be doing that.

nova

imported post

PaulX608 wrote:
mrt6812 wrote:
what's "printing"? I tried reading the info in the link and also the other posts but couldn't find anything.
That's when your CC'd firearm shows through your cover garment.
example:

oops I dropped something

mtac_print.jpg

this is not me btw

Carpetbagger

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
scratchkenny wrote:
I asked one of our LEO's about "printing" if it was against the law or what. His reply was no its not, but you had better have a permit for it I ask to see it.
Dispensing legal advice if you are not a licensed attorney is a Class 1 misdemeanor in VA. (VA Code Section 54.1-3904)

If the information an officer gives you is not true, or expresses a personal opinion rather than the letter of the law, it is also a Federal Civil Rights violation, involving "official oppression under color of law"...

Police are NOT lawyers. They are tasked with enforcing the law, investigating crimes, and apprehending suspects after a warrant has been issued. It is the duty of the COURTS and attorneys to "interpret" the law.

Also, according to rulings by the US Supreme Court, an LEO is NOT required to tell you the truth regarding ANYTHING you ask regarding the law. They are allowed to lie to you, engaging in "fishing expeditions" and can ask leading questions to try to get you to admit to something you may or may not have done, even if there is no evidence of a crime, or they have no reasonable suspicion.

The only time you should speak with an LEO is when he approached you in an official manner, and even then, the only thing you should say is "am I being detained" or "I need to speak with my lawyer before answering any questions"...

If the clothes you are wearing make it impossible to carry concealed without printing, then you should just Open Carry. It is perfectly legal in VA. And if an LEO asks for your CC permit while open carrying, that is actually prohibited under VA law, and treading dangerously close to an "official oppression under color of law" violation under Federal law...

Name and address. "Am I being detained?. "I need to talk with my lawyer." nothing else should come out of your mouth, or your pockets if you are OCing...

Welcome, and good luck.

I generally agree with everything you said, except the part that I put in bold. I would love to see some support for that statement.

How would that play out in real life?

Me: Officer, can I open carry my handgun in a public park in Virginia?

Officer: I think that is a very bad idea.

Me: That's a personal opinion. I'm suing you for violating my civil rights!